Eating 5x Day Weirdness

Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    lorainas5 wrote: »
    Chef_barbell If it is not then please provide correct info.? Along with why it's not true.

You made the claim. The onus of proof is on you.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    avygyaru wrote: »
    Is there a specific reason why your dietician recommended that you eat five times a day?

I have never had good results with eating more frequently -- it just makes me more hungry.

Because I literally have coffee in place of food all day. "That cup could have been your hummus & veggies. That cup could have been an orange..." With the way I exercise, I should be losing weight so she wants me to work on my metabolism naturally since I have no known disorders.

How many calories are you eating per day?
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat 4-6 meals cos then I'm never hungry, I dunno if it aids the metabolism or not, there's opinions about that, and I do not care honestly, I am just happy I don't get hungry at all! :blush:

Maybe it works for some people and not for others :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    This is more of a poll than a search for advice.

I have been more of a coffee all day, real food after work type. I have to really make myself eat breakfast and lunch (food). I think all the coffee just killed me appetite until I felt a hunger pain.

So now that I've seen a dietician and have to eat 5 small meals per day, I feel like I'm starving between "meals."

So my question: Is anyone else out there going through this? Not really caring about food until being told to eat X amount of times.

I'm not sure if it's mental or if my small meals are too small or what. I feel like it's mental. Like now that I HAVE to eat it's constantly on my mind.

It sounds like you were underfeeding before...underfeeding can mess with hormones and hormones are what give you your hunger ques...this is why a lot of people who diet ultimately end up not "feeling" hungry on few calories...their hormones are messed up.

Most people, when they increase calories, say, going to maintenance will feel increased hunger because those hormones are resetting.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat 4-6 meals cos then I'm never hungry, I dunno if it aids the metabolism or not, there's opinions about that, and I do not care honestly, I am just happy I don't get hungry at all! :blush:

eating more frequently does not increase your metabolism, not an opinion that is fact.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason why your dietician recommended that you eat five times a day?

I have never had good results with eating more frequently -- it just makes me more hungry.

Because I literally have coffee in place of food all day. "That cup could have been your hummus & veggies. That cup could have been an orange..." With the way I exercise, I should be losing weight so she wants me to work on my metabolism naturally since I have no known disorders.

Are you drinking coffee all day and then in the evening eating a bunch?
  • lorainas5
    lorainas5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did read that one and that was based off of one study for selected people. Would you have anything that is a standard for every person? I really am asking to be educated not trying to be difficult. I like learning new things!
    My response was only based personal experience and relative information. My father has been a competeing bodybuilder majority of his life and is very dedicated to healthy eating and prepping. Also, from my personal experience I notice that I am hungry sooner when eating smaller meals.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    What is in your coffee? If you had a lot of added stuff in it, that might have been quite a lot of calories without a very good nutritional balance, so she might be trying to address that - have you eat a more balanced diet through the day.

But if multiple small meals make you feel rubbish, and if you've given it a try for long enough, then perhaps you should try a different approach. Even just yer standard 3 meals a day.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, how many calories are you eating and what are your stats (height, weight, any health issues)? For how long have you been only eating at night, and is it a large meal?

While some every-day things can cause minor variations in how many calories you burn, none of them should have kept you from losing any weight at all.

For example, a number of people here do intermittent fasting where they only eat during a small portion oft he day (some even only one meal) and they lose weight on the same amount of calories they would if they ate on a more typical meal schedule.
  • lorainas5
    Options
    Ndj1979 If you read my comment for full understanding, never did I say my info./knowledge was given by a dietitian.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I can see the dietician's suggestion working if the issue is that the OP has nothing but coffee all day and then goes home and overeats.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I can see the dietician's suggestion working if the issue is that the OP has nothing but coffee all day and then goes home and overeats.

Or, as someone above mentioned, has a lot of creamers, etc in her coffee.

I.e. she's getting a lot of calories in her coffee.

OP, weight loss is only about calories. Nothing else.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Ndj1979 If you read my comment for full understanding, never did I say my info./knowledge was given by a dietitian.

and if you read my comment you would realize that I was referring to OP and not you ...
  • NeuronsNeuronsNeurons
    Options
    My optimum is 30-60 min cardio in the morning first thing then a light breakfast (100-300 cals) and lunch (300-500 cals) followed by a heavier dinner (600-900 cals). Snacks in between according to my burn for the day. Do what feels right for you but also experiment with it to find your optimum state, you may notice things like improved or stabilized mood, increased productivity, and better sleep...or you may experience ravenous hunger and inability to sleep. Find what works for you.
  • lorainas5
    Options
    You are correct in misread. Ndj1979
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

This is a common misperception. With your old regimen, did you use a digital food scale and log everything you ate?

If you like larger meals later, that's fine. What's critical is the total amount of Calories In and Calories Out. (CICO)

ps - maybe it's the macros of your new meals making you hungry - I can't eat just an orange, I need protein and fat to balance it out.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OP, if you are drinking less coffee now it is also possible the caffeine in the coffee was suppressing your appetite and you are noticing a difference now that you are consuming less.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

To be clear, no one is saying you SHOULDN"T eat 4-6 meals. Just that there doesn't seem to be a reason for the dietician to tell the OP to do so. If eating this way works for you and helps with your weight loss, then by all means go for it. It doesn't speed up or slow down your metabolism, but if it is working there is no reason to change. A lot of times people get told to eat in ways for no real logical reason, just because "someone" heard it was a good idea. Then they struggle to eat in that fashion, get grumpy and give up. Better to find what works for you and keep to your daily/weekly calorie limit.

In short, keep doing what works for you and enjoy.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I did read that one and that was based off of one study for selected people. Would you have anything that is a standard for every person? I really am asking to be educated not trying to be difficult. I like learning new things!
    My response was only based personal experience and relative information. My father has been a competeing bodybuilder majority of his life and is very dedicated to healthy eating and prepping. Also, from my personal experience I notice that I am hungry sooner when eating smaller meals.

Just know that there is a lot of bad information out there. Meal timing, frequency etc. has no direct relationship to weight loss, assuming you are eating the proper number of calories in total. One thing to be careful of is to take advice geared for one purpose (competitive bodybuilding) and assume it works as a general rule. And to answer the question, no there is not one standard for all people, outside of eat less calories than you burn to lose weight.