Did great in 2015: terrible in 2016: looking to do great again in 2017

Options
All my weight loss success of 2015 was undone by terrible eating habits, lack of exercise and general backsliding. I watched my 'skinny' pants go to being way too tight, my stomach which had flattened significantly swell back up, and two weeks ago a drunk woman elbowed me on her way out of a bar and called me fatso. So, much like the rest of humanity, 2016 was pretty *kitten* for me as well: unlike the rest of humanity the fault lies on me and no one else.

Today was my first day back at work, and my first day back on the wagon. Back to counting calories, exercise and not making excuses for being so lazy.

Anyone else starting today and looking for a buddy/support/motivation let me know. To add motivation for me, a co-worker asked me when I was going to shave my winter beard. When I said in about 20 pounds he said, quote "So you're not shaving again, huh?"

Nothing like resentment to add to your motivation.

Replies

• AdamFoureyes
    AdamFoureyes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Me too, 2016 was a write-off i got lazy then i came off the bike and did my knee in and now i need to start again. i vowed this wouldn't happen but yep i need to do it all again and for the near future without the biking. unless i can face the turbo trainer in the garage in the freezing cold... heh nope! count me in :)
  • LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The last month was a wash for me... gained 8 pounds. Started back in today to logging everything and being more active.
    Add me, I'd love to help support!
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I also fell into that trap, @nycalling6192 !! Happy New Year. You're off to a great start, good luck!! You can do this!
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Me, me, this is me!!! 2014 and 2015 were fantastic. 2016 was awful! I'm close to 40 and blame all my problems on middle age (hahahaha, not really). Seriously though, I'm back to counting calories and upping my sweat sessions. Add me if you want!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I usually ride the up and down roller coaster by seasons. Summer and spring usually rule, winter and fall...bleh! Keep moving forward and good luck to you. You know you can do it,
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Yup. Me too. Swore I'd nail maintenance, and blew it once again. I'm back to calorie counting, logging, and a determination to get back to my previous jeans size!
  • nycalling6192
    nycalling6192 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Me, me, this is me!!! 2014 and 2015 were fantastic. 2016 was awful! I'm close to 40 and blame all my problems on middle age (hahahaha, not really). Seriously though, I'm back to counting calories and upping my sweat sessions. Add me if you want!

Slightly over 40 here, and yup: big blamer on middle age, family, work and general lack of time. When really it just comes down to dedication.
  • nycalling6192
    nycalling6192 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your encouragement. Two days down and I feel better already.
  • Bobbiezilla
    Bobbiezilla Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    We got this! I can't wait to get back on track. I'm up about 15 lbs since June when I had a bad injury while trail running. I managed well through the summer keeping an eye on the intake, but once hibernation season set in I've gone more than a little calorie crazy. I've just made it through the holidays while emotional over eating and shutting down all my relatives telling me I've always had weak ankles. I've been trail running for 3 years, it was a forceful injury bailing on a downhill corner, a bionic ankle wouldn't have made it out alive! No amount of calf raises could prevent it! I'm past recovery stage into restrengthening, so I should be back slowly returning to running in February..... counting down the days!
  • sschrock
    sschrock Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm a little opposite with the years, but still the same story. In March of 2014, I started a new quest for a healthier life. By October, I had lost 50 lbs, but then was side-lined by a torn meniscus and had knee surgery. 2015 sucked for me and I gained back 30 of that 50 poundage. In January of 2016, I joined a company-sponsored group call "The Biggest Winner," and a bonus of that was we all got a free 12-week membership to a fantastic gym. The goal of the program was to run/walk a marathon, 1/2 marathon, or 5K. Since I've never done any of those, I went for the 5K and finished in 59:39. My goal was 1 hr, 20 minutes, so I was happy about that! Here I am a year later, and today I hit that 50 lb weight loss mark again!! Here's to you and total success in 2017! Let's keep on keepin' on!!
  • getinmabelly
    getinmabelly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oh lord, me too! 2016 was a total wash out, gained 2 stone. Annoyingly I had already gained about a stone in 2015 and was trying to lose that already! I have been blaming the amount of travel for work I've been doing over the past year, which is amazing to hop all over Europe, but is too convenient an excuse for ditching all the healthy habits and exercise.

So far I only have one meeting lined up for the end of this month, and that's just a day meeting in London, so I should be able to bounce back from that soon enough.

I've been at this game for the best part of 25 years. I'm 37 and in all those 25 years, I've only had about 18 months in my mid-20s when I was what I would have considered a healthy weight. Everything else has just been constant body-shaming and self-loathing. Now that my doctor is telling me that I have no hope of ever having kids unless I can lose some weight, it's becoming a bit of an obsession. Didn't help that once some rather rude bloke in a supermarket asked me when my baby was due. He got a withering look, I can tell you ;)

We'll see how long this motivation can last.....
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Same. After my wedding in Sept 2015 I gave myself a month to eat what I wanted...which turned into a year and 3 months. Hopped back on the wagon this week also...have a beach vacation in August. It is easier for me to do better when I have something to look forward to. I was down to about 140 and now I'm back up to 155ish. Blah.
  • camiev
    camiev Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This me. Vacation in June rafting with family, one of whom lost 40lbs and looks great. I had her send me her B&A pics for motivation. :)
  • rdgfit
    rdgfit Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yeah 2016 wasn't a good year - here is to a much better 2017 for all!
  • hollyberry6182
    hollyberry6182 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! Why was 2016 so bad for us? I went from 235lbs to 168lbs in 2015, 2016 saw a drop the first half of the year to 156lbs then I've gained ever since...not even been on the scales as I think I would have a shock but I'm getting the feeling it's a gain of 20lbs!
    My skinny jeans are producing overhangs and muffin tops which isn't pretty.
    I've been back to counting calories for 3 days now. I have a family holiday booked in may-June so I'm going to have to watch everything. I just hope I just don't say "f**k it!" and give up.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    2016 is going down as one of my worst years. I almost died in May, I had my business broke into, I gained all my previous weight loss back, I was penalized for not filing taxes that I really had filed. I could go on and on, but I'm done with it all. I figure there are a few things I have control over and my weight and health is one of them.

Feel free to add me as I'm determined to do it better this time. It took my 5+ tries to quit smoking and once I had the right mind set it stuck which was 10 years ago. So this is the same approach I'm taking with weight loss, I'll keep trying until I'm either successful or dead!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I went on medication in 2016 that had a side effect of gaining weight! I still need the medication, but I have to stay off my butt, exercise and log my food. So far so good since Dec 2016 when I got serious about losing the 10 pounds I gained. I've been logging every day and exercising 3-4 times a week. 2017 will be wonderful for our goals if we all stay committed! We can do this! Woo hoo!
  • lizseahawk
    lizseahawk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same story! I guess I thought I could handle it by myself. I need these tools and exercise. I started back on January 1st. Cheers to us! We can do this!