Slow losses

Options
Hi everyone (and happy new year!)

I have had my first weigh in after 7 days. I've not gone over my calorie allowance and have been to the gym everyday alternating cardio and strength training. I have only lost 1lb but lost 2kg of body fat. I'm feeling a bit of a failure to be honest. Can anyone reassure me this is normal or do I need to try harder?

Many thanks :)

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,440 Member
    Options
    The new gym routine is probably causing your muscles to retain water for repair. This water will mask your fat loss. Keep doing the right things, and you'll get there!
  • LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I always gain a little when I hit the gym hard for a few days. Water repair weight. It sucks.. but it means you've done something right to your body! keep going!
  • tarynlou2010
    tarynlou2010 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That's the sort of reassurance I needed! Thank you both, I feel a little better. A lot of my friends have done cleanses etc and lost pounds this week so I was a little embarrassed. I will keep at it :)
  • tarynlou2010
    Options
    Thanks Lillymomma :)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    please be delighted with your lost fat, you must have some good scales to identify this. I agree with quiksylver muscles need time to repair and this takes water. I had a similar thing happen, took two very long walks in one day and I was 2 lb heavier that night than the night before, repair after little activity.

Generally a loss of 2 lb a week is seen as good, (unless you are more than 50 lb over bmi, people with more to loose can loose more, the line of loss usually slows as you near goal) to loose more puts one at risk of damaging your system and that is the last thing anyone needs. Keep doing what you are and all will be good.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It's the direction that counts ..

Good luck
  • tarynlou2010
    Options
    Thank you :) I have decided to jump on the gym scales each Thursday, these tell you both weight and body fat (thank goodness!)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You have only 30 pounds to lose? 1 lb lost in a week is great.

Also, ignore the body fat lost part of the measurement. BIA machines used to measure body fat are not realiable at all. Their numbers are fairly meaningless.
  • tarynlou2010
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Please also read the post about weight loss being non-linear. The scale only tells part of the story, and weight fluctuations will happen along the way. Stick with it and you will have success!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    You've lost a pound in a week which is good...

Your friends doing the cleanses and whatnot have lost a lot of water weight as well as some waste...it's not fat...you can only oxidize so much fat in a 24 hour period.
  • heeyitsalie
    heeyitsalie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh my god!!!! Google a picture of one pound of body fat and just praise yourself because all of that junk came out of your body. That's amazing!!! A picture of gross body fat really encourages me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    That's a great start!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Slow Losses > No Losses