hello

Options
Hey everyone -- just joined and am thrilled to be doing so!! My question is how do you get yourself not to check your weight too often? I find that I will be going along doing well with eating and exercise and then will weigh myself and get disappointed. Then I get in a bad mood and don't take as good care of myself. Suggestions?

Replies

• lrraska
    lrraska Posts: 33
    Options
    I do check my weight often (almost daily). I find it helps me stay on track...when the scale goes down I feel so good and when it's up a little (usually not a suprise, I know when i have been a little bad) I try and let it motivate me to stay on track and bring it back down. Some may argue the daily weigh in but it works for me. Good luck to you.
  • HankFit247
    HankFit247 Posts: 139
    Options
    Welcome!

We're all here to provide assistance and support. Just let me/us know how we can help.

As for your question. Realize that the scale does not tell the entire picture. I teach "Feel the Fat". While in the shower, feel your fat or areas of concern. Notice how it feels. Is it Firm, gelatinous, marbley,... Check again in 2 weeks, how does it feel now.

Even though the scale may not show the number you want, feeling your body composition change can help keep you motivated and propelling forward.

Hank
  • Mrsjones172
    Mrsjones172 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey! Welcome to MFP.

I tend to weigh once a week on a Friday morning. I take that as my actual weight. Sometimes I do weigh mid week and get annoyed or disappointed but I dont take too much notice of it as it only matters to me what I weigh on a Friday AM.

Hope that helps!

Claire
  • catlinjw
    catlinjw Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks -- this is really helpful because I have also committed to working out (with a trainer when I can, otherwise by myself) and want to focus on the fact that I am getting stronger and leaner from that....for some reason the number on the scale has too much significance. Will try to keep it in perspective.
  • catlinjw
    Options
    Great idea; think I will try it. Like Friday, too, before the weekend, which always seems harder.
  • catlinjw
    Options
    I appreciate hearing that you think weighong every day is okay....I do too but seem to get too discouraged if I gain anything. Sounds like you are really grounded about it which I hope to be!!
  • mssweetjay
    mssweetjay Posts: 142
    Options
    I understand your concern. I'm one of those that weighs myself often but Fridays is my official weigh in. I learn not to get upset and beat myself if the scale does not show me the numbers I want. I use my frustrations into working harder in my workouts and be very consious of what I eat and how much I eat. I use my clothes as " my scale" and it works wonders!!!! When your family and friends notice then I know I am doing something right!!!! So what I am saying don't defeat your hard work because of the bad numbers on the scale. If it bothers you then only weigh yourself once a week!!! Good luck!!!
  • catlinjw
    Options
    Thank you -- I will remember this good advice!!!