2»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Walk.

Seriously, just start by walking. Three times a week is a good start. If you are totally out of shape, start with 15-20 minutes the first week. The second week add another 5 minutes or a fourth walk. Then up you time a bit each week until you get to 30-60 minutes (personal preference.)

Once you are up and moving more you may feel a bit better about looking at other exercise options. While I do think what you do needs to match your preferences, I always suggest some kind of resistance training--bodyweight exercises, lifting weights, etc. When I first started out, I did this program:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

If you try it, scale it back (start with 1-2 circuits and reduced number of repetitions per exercise.)

This. A thousand times this. I lost over 100lbs my first year doing nothing much more than, yup.. walking. Granted, I walked fast and far, but it was still just walking.

Even now walking is my preferred form of cardio activity. It's easy and peaceful and you can do it in small spurts without any kind of warm up if you're busy. I think it is a great way for beginners to ease into fitness. Especially when you are really out of shape and have a big weight loss goal. You're already probably spending way more time than usual thinking about your diet. Walking can be done without having to study up on it at all.

There's an "advanced" form of walking called hiking. It has the same easy and peaceful feel as any other walking, doesn't require stretching or warm ups, and takes people to beautiful places. Some folks get pretty serious about it, like Anish who hiked the PCT in under 2 months (that's 45 miles per day), but other folks go to the waterfall, take some pictures, and go home.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Walk.

Seriously, just start by walking. Three times a week is a good start. If you are totally out of shape, start with 15-20 minutes the first week. The second week add another 5 minutes or a fourth walk. Then up you time a bit each week until you get to 30-60 minutes (personal preference.)

Once you are up and moving more you may feel a bit better about looking at other exercise options. While I do think what you do needs to match your preferences, I always suggest some kind of resistance training--bodyweight exercises, lifting weights, etc. When I first started out, I did this program:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

If you try it, scale it back (start with 1-2 circuits and reduced number of repetitions per exercise.)

This. A thousand times this. I lost over 100lbs my first year doing nothing much more than, yup.. walking. Granted, I walked fast and far, but it was still just walking.

Even now walking is my preferred form of cardio activity. It's easy and peaceful and you can do it in small spurts without any kind of warm up if you're busy. I think it is a great way for beginners to ease into fitness. Especially when you are really out of shape and have a big weight loss goal. You're already probably spending way more time than usual thinking about your diet. Walking can be done without having to study up on it at all.

There's an "advanced" form of walking called hiking. It has the same easy and peaceful feel as any other walking, doesn't require stretching or warm ups, and takes people to beautiful places. Some folks get pretty serious about it, like Anish who hiked the PCT in under 2 months (that's 45 miles per day), but other folks go to the waterfall, take some pictures, and go home.

I am intrigued and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

:smiley:

Last year I attempted to have a family hike on Saturdays when my husband was off work. I loved it. My daughter loathed it and grumped through the whole thing nearly every week. My plan for this year is to leave her home with a list of chores to be done by the time he and I get home from hiking.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    ashmicpear wrote: »
    I need some tips on how to establish a work out routine that I can maintain. Here's the deal. I'm not an active person. I never have been. I hated gym in school. I didn't enjoy sports. I get bored at the gym. I'm uncoordinated and can't remember how to do aerobic routines. Help!

When I first started playing tennis I sucked. Really sucked. But I was determined. I watched tv tennis matches copying their movements. And studied tennis techniques on YouTube over and over. I would have quit if I didn't do those things that helped me progress.

Find something you want to conquer and do it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I am intrigued and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

:smiley:

Last year I attempted to have a family hike on Saturdays when my husband was off work. I loved it. My daughter loathed it and grumped through the whole thing nearly every week. My plan for this year is to leave her home with a list of chores to be done by the time he and I get home from hiking.

Fitness aside, that's a good life lesson.
  • SandraKay79
    SandraKay79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My favorite for being unfit and finding something to stick with is Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds, they are super easy to follow and as you increase fitness you can increase your mileage.
  • FlufferCat
    FlufferCat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The walking,hiking,and swimming suggestions are good.
    You just need to move.Don't make it feel overly complicated.
    You can exercise at home too.Turn on the TV to a fun sitcom,or old movie and listen to it.Maybe listen to a podcast,or music.That will make things go easier.
    You can walk in place,and shadow box a little.
    You can work on your legs by doing deep knee bends.It's called a squat.If you're weak put your hands on the back of a chair,and do your best.When you get a little stronger you can squat,and come up faster to increase the intensity.Push up on your toes,but don't jump.
    You can do push ups against a wall.
    You could use an easily available weight like a bag or jug of cat litter,or gardening sand.
    You could buy a few cheap dumbbells.
    Also go to YouTube and look up starting exercise.Try to find someone you enjoy watching,and relate to.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    ashmicpear wrote: »
    I need some tips on how to establish a work out routine that I can maintain. Here's the deal. I'm not an active person. I never have been. I hated gym in school. I didn't enjoy sports. I get bored at the gym. I'm uncoordinated and can't remember how to do aerobic routines. Help!

While you're out on those walks - which are going to be fun and energizing, BTW - consider whether you can begin to just slightly tweak the way you talk to yourself about working out, even just inside your own head. Yeah, it's kinda cheesy, but it can help. Your preconceptions can hem you in, and shut off life changes that, with a bit of investment, turn out to be very positive. Let your thinking leave room for a possibility of success.

"I hated gym in school" => Gym was no fun, but now I have control of the schedule and what I do, so I'll bet I can find activities that I find fun.

"I didn't enjoy sports" => Now that I've moved on in life, I'm going to consider whether some of my school-days preferences may've been . . . well, just a bit tinged with childhood prejudice.

"I get bored at the gym" => I'm going to try different activities of various types, to find ways of moving that I personally find fun and worth doing.

"I'm uncoordinated" => When I start new things, it's natural to feel awkward at first, but I can learn and improve. Many things worth doing take some time to learn.

"I can't remember how to do aerobic routines" => When I challenge myself to learn new things in new ways, it improves my thinking in ways that help stave off effects of aging on my brain, especially if it's something that's tough for me at first. (This is literally scientifically true, BTW.)

You're not "horrible at working out", you're inexperienced at working out.

Granny sez. ;)
  • ashmicpear
    ashmicpear Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Everyone: I am so glad that I posted my needs and insecurities here about finding a workout routine because you all have more than delivered with great ideas, encouragement, and inspiration. You have also challenged my thinking. I know that disordered thinking is the reason I have let my weight and health go for so long. I'm going print this dialogue out and use it as a guide to create my plan. Thank you!