How far/often do you walk to lose weight?!?

Options
When is walking beneficial? How far and often to help aid weight loss?

Replies

• Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Any walking is beneficial. But most of the difference on the scale will come from weighing and logging your food and staying within your calorie goal.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I do a 45 minute power walk 5-7 times a week. Also cut calories to 1200-1400. I've lost over 40, and everything stalls without the walking, even with calories on point. What's worked for me is I have a routine (walking kid to school, then back) and try not to allow exceptions too often. So for me, 45 min has been the ticket (along with diet)! Hope that helps!
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I agree that calorie intake is #1. But I also love walking. After my workout in the morning I do 30mins on my treadmill, 25-30mins at lunch time at work and if the evening allows I go out again with my kids. I find huge benefits and I definitely see an increase in how fast the weight comes off if I walk
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,152 Member
    Options
    I walked 1133 km in 2016 and 1131 km in 2015. It probably helped ... but the cycling and stair climbing and other exercise I did probably helped more. :)

That, and limiting my calorie intake.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    As much as you want, but if it's really nice out, then you should go whether you want to or not.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Anything will help if it gets your heart rate up for a little while. Push a little past comfortable stroll and you're doing things!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    I walk a couple of miles every day because I have a large dog who needs lots of exercise. Before I had him, I hiked every weekend because I love to hike. The walking keeps me fairly fit and healthy and allows me to eat a bit more than if I didn't walk. I also run because I like it and it challenges me.
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I walk about 3-4 miles a day with my dog (sometimes we run instead). I keep up a brisk pace but I didn't really notice a difference in my fitness level until I started running with her. Nordic walking is meant to be good for burning calories. Ordinary walking is fine, but if you're relying on that alone for weight loss then you'll have to do a lot of it.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    From my car to the gym then back
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I aim for a minimum of 500 calories burned through walking everyday.
  • SkyFerret
    SkyFerret Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I usually aim for at least 5 miles a day, 5 days a week. I also rest one day a week, and spend the last hiking in the woods. I've been lazy this past year, after recovering from a nerve issue, but now am working on getting back into it. When I actually stick to the plan, I see definite improvements within just a few weeks, both in weight and muscle tone, so it does help.