Home Meal Delivery and Weight Loss/Health

Options
Hello everyone, I have been looking through threads about meal delivery services like Blue Apron, Plated, Hello Fresh, etc, and the question I have that I never really saw addressed was this:

Have you lost weight easier, or at all, while subscribing to these services? Do you feel better eating these meals? How are energy levels and your sense of well-being?

I have Lupus and it is super difficult for me to do things sometimes, so the idea of meal plans delivered is appealing, but I also want to reap the benefits of healthy living. Thank you for any feedback.

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't know if the food you eat comes from a delivery service, you bought it at the store or you grew it yourself. It's the calories in vs calories out for weight control.
  • ginnyneko
    ginnyneko Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Your body doesn't know if the food you eat comes from a delivery service, you bought it at the store or you grew it yourself. It's the calories in vs calories out for weight control.

I realize that calories are a main player in the weight loss game. That is not what I am asking about. I am asking if having food delivered makes it easier to lose weight because you don't need to eat out, you are not shopping in a grocery store tempted by things you don't want, etc. I also have lupus, which wears me out when I go grocery shopping, and I don't feel like I can cook later. I am in pain all the time. Also, not all food is created equal - some foods are more nutritious even if they are both the same potato or whatever because of the way it is grown. I need to eat low inflammatory foods as well. I am interested to know if doing food this way helps save time and energy, and if people can tell a difference in the way they feel after eating from these services.

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I've been using Blue Apron pretty regularly for about a year. I've had a box delivered every week since I started on MFP about 4 weeks ago and in that time, I've lost 2 lbs. I still go to the grocery store on a weekly basis (my BA delivery is only set for 3 dinners/week) and I go out to eat with the same frequency as I did before starting BA. I don't credit BA for my weight loss, and wouldn't blame them if I gained weight because for me, the difference between losing and gaining comes down to how many snacks I eat during the day (and especially at night).

With all of that said, I do find BA to be convenient and fun, which is why I'm still a subscriber. But since I still go to the grocery store on a weekly basis, I wouldn't necessarily consider BA to be a huge time saver.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed Blue Apron when we did it. I loved that it had the calorie count per serving. It was easy to set my goals for the rest of the day. I stopped it when we got near the holidays but have been really thinking about starting it up again.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    To make up your mind, you need to look at what the real advantages are, not the "imaginary" ones.

They will do the shopping for you.
    You'll still be doing the cooking.
    Using a shopping list can help to resist temptation.
    You can shop Monday and cook on Tuesday.
    Meal delivery services don't have access to more superior potatoes than those you can get yourself in the grocery store.
    The meals they compose for you may be hit or miss when it comes to taste.
    Food you like and a varied diet made up of a variety of whole foods is what constitutes a healthy diet. There are no special meals that instantly increase energy.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    If you have more money than you have time or energy, you might be able to find a local company that does home delivery of pre-made meals geared to your nutritional wishes.
  • rnedwbt
    rnedwbt Posts: 57 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    We do Home Chef and love it. Tonight's dinner was romaine salad w/grape tomatoes, roasted walnuts and blue cheese, tossed with a Dijon vinaigrette and topped with sliced steak, honey caramelized onions and freshly toasted French bread croutons. 625 calories, delicious and very filling. There is a wide range of calorie count (and other dietary preferences) in their meal options. I would not say that it saves me time, or a trip to the grocery store, but it does make my meal planning process easier every week.
    rr8gg9wqjpjk.jpg
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    If it's the shopping that wears you down maybe look into Amazon Fresh. I don't use it but a close friend uses it exclusively, hasn't been grocery shopping in months. Orders over $40 have great delivery
  • nikolet79
    nikolet79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love hello fresh. One thing I have had to modify because I adhere to a low carb diet is the starch. For instance I'll swap out the rice or potatoes for lettuce or noodles with zoodles.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ginnyneko wrote: »

I realize that calories are a main player in the weight loss game. That is not what I am asking about. I am asking if having food delivered makes it easier to lose weight because you don't need to eat out, you are not shopping in a grocery store tempted by things you don't want, etc. I also have lupus, which wears me out when I go grocery shopping, and I don't feel like I can cook later. I am in pain all the time. Also, not all food is created equal - some foods are more nutritious even if they are both the same potato or whatever because of the way it is grown. I need to eat low inflammatory foods as well. I am interested to know if doing food this way helps save time and energy, and if people can tell a difference in the way they feel after eating from these services.

You could split the difference and have a local grocery store deliver from the list you give them and cook yourself if your health allows.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I did ediets. It was perfect for me because I have a hectic schedule and lived alone. Got very expensive though. I lost like 10 lbs in the month and decided it wasn't worth the money.
  • ginnyneko
    Options
    seska422, I hadn't thought of that, I might look into that :)
  • ginnyneko
    Options
    Not that I have a lot of money, lol
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    ginnyneko wrote: »

You could split the difference and have a local grocery store deliver from the list you give them and cook yourself if your health allows.

depends on where she lives,not all stores deliver. no store in my area delivers,hell pizza hut doesnt even deliver(only pizza place we have within 30 miles)
  • ginnyneko
    Options

[/quote]depends on where she lives,not all stores deliver. no store in my area delivers,hell pizza hut doesnt even deliver(only pizza place we have within 30 miles)[/quote]

Yeah, nobody delivers out where I live :( I would have to do that thing where I place the order and pick up from the store

• ekardoulias
    ekardoulias Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been using lite n easy for a week now which is in Australia. For lunch and dinner. On a 1200cal. The portions are perfect and taste good. As long as the food delivery you use if proving healthy food at a better price then you going out eating everyday and shopping then I would say its worth it.
  • natalieinjeans
    natalieinjeans Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have lupus and don't do home delivery, but just started the curbside pickup. It has been a godsend so far - saves time, energy, money, and eliminates impulse purchases! My grocery currently doesn't charge extra for this because they are promoting this new program, but eventually there will be a $5 service fee. To me it will still be worth it.