Calories burned at altitude

Options
I heard that you burn more calories at higher altitude. In Colorado I burn 600 calories when I bowl 3 games. Altitude is 6500 ft. In Arizona I only burn 400 for 3 games bowled. Altitude is 2333 ft. Mmmm.. who knew..

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    While there is a slight metabolic effect to altitude, it's only because of the increase in effort to uptake the same oxygen.

It shouldn't be a 50% difference though ... for most it would be marginal.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I hope that is true. I live at 6500 feet in Colorado Springs.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Losing weight has gotten much easier since I've moved from 2000' to 5000'. I don't know if I burn more calories exercising, but I wouldn't be surprised. I've done C25K twice before and I'm repeating weeks all the time this round. Who ever thought breathing would be a difficult thing. Altitude also decreases appetite in many people. It's theorized as one reason the population of Colorado has so little obesity. Another funny thing I noticed is my nearest Walmart that serves a series of valleys in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada has two racks of plus size clothing instead of a quarter of the ladies department. That struck me as really strange.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I read an article yesterday stating that it was better to live at a higher elevation and train at a lower elevation. It was more technical that I can explain. It had to do with red blood cells, oxygenation, and studies on olympians. I'll try to find it again to share.

Yay for Colorado! Moving back in about one month. Can't wait!!!