How to move from pressups etc on knees to full length ones?

Options
shoppie
shoppie Posts: 618 Member
My arms are by far my weakest area. I have really upped the amount of work I do with them, doing more walking planks, press-ups etc but I still cannot get anywhere near even one full length press-up without setting my body weight down on the floor. Does anyone have any tips of how I can gradually work up to doing them properly?? TIA :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you continue to do them from your knees, and then do planks in between sets. So maybe you do 10 from your knees, then hold a full-length press for 15 seconds (longer if you can), then 10 more pushups from your knees, etc. Or whatever combination works for you. A lot of times the issue with pushups is not just arm strength, but core strength as well.
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i'm probably not the best person to answer because i can only do full push-ups sometimes, but maybe try to lift some weights just to tone your arms without using the full weight of your body? i've noticed that since i began lifting weights, push-ups have become a bit easier for me, though i still can't do a lot of push-ups in a row.
  • nicola1812
    nicola1812 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump x
  • hsquared87
    hsquared87 Posts: 73
    Options
    Do them on an incline. Like keep your body like a full length but have your arms on the first step of stairs. Also try the One hundred push up challenge. There is nothing wrong with doing them on your knees. Do a full round of the one hundred push up challenge on the knees then do another round full length.

You can also do them on your knees but lean forward a bit more that makes it more like a regular one.
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Ajbeans - good point re: core strength, I often forget its still only 5 months since someone cut through my abdominal wall to get a baby out - for the 3rd time in less than 5 years so its not too surprising my core is shot.

I like the 100 push up challenge idea, that would certianly be a good challenge for me, off to google it. Also liking the idea of trying on the stairs, that would be good for me as would holding a decent plank (and not cheating by sticking my *kitten* in the air!!)

Cheers guys :flowerforyou: