Detoxing???

Options
So, I just joined this site and I think it's great. I started losing weight two years ago on my own and I have lost 50 lb. so far. However ,every single time I hit the weight I am now I stop..completely. Months go by and I don't lose an ounce. So I get frustrated, gain weight and then I try to lose it again until once again I reach this point-the weight I am now. This cycle has been going on for the past year, maybe longer. Before, when I was dieting I still ate what I wanted to eat, I just didnt eat as much of it and I limited myself to a 1500 calorie diet. This time Im drinking a lot of water and have incorporated a fiber supplement. I've tried different detox methods, acai berry, colon cleanse, liver enzyme cleanse, etc. I'm at my wits end, what can I do to not stay at this weight forever?

Replies

• adnama08
    Options
    So, I just joined this site and I think it's great. I started losing weight two years ago on my own and I have lost 50 lb. so far. However ,every single time I hit the weight I am now I stop..completely. Months go by and I don't lose an ounce. So I get frustrated, gain weight and then I try to lose it again until once again I reach this point-the weight I am now. This cycle has been going on for the past year, maybe longer. Before, when I was dieting I still ate what I wanted to eat, I just didnt eat as much of it and I limited myself to a 1500 calorie diet. This time Im drinking a lot of water and have incorporated a fiber supplement. I've tried different detox methods, acai berry, colon cleanse, liver enzyme cleanse, etc. I'm at my wits end, what can I do to not stay at this weight forever?
  • scrappy11
    scrappy11 Posts: 163
    Options
    PLEASEE PLEASEEE PLEASE don't use a colon cleanse or a detoxifier if you don't have to..they have so many serious side effects and I wouldn't want to see you go through that. I have been eating a lot of spinach and fiber crackers and that seems to be helping a lot. I don't take a fiber supplement either, so maybe that would help u? :happy:
  • beaner10
    Options
    What I have heard that is helpful at a plateau is to change your exercise routine - not sure what you do but if you only do cardio then hit the weights, if your gym offers classes try different ones of those. I wouldn't rely on cleanses to lose weight but additional fruits, veggies and water should help though.
  • Winter23
    Winter23 Posts: 142
    Options
    What do you do for exercise? Maybe you need to step up what it is you are doing. longer or harder cardio, more reps per set on weights? Or change it up completely and join a Tae Bo class or something like that. You have to confuse your body by changing up your routine every 6 weeks or so.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,098 Member
    Options
    What is your BMR?

How tall are you, what kind of work or daily activity do you normally do (not counting planned exercise)?

What is your recommended weight range?
  • flasmh
    flasmh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't use the Colon Cleanse.... My friends wife used it and almost died. She landed in the hospital and had to have her kidney taken out. Be careful with anything you buy over the counter without your doctor knowing about it.
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    DETOXING CAN JUMP START A WEIGHT LOSS WHEN YOU FIRST START, BUT CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BC THEY CAN GIVE YOU SOMETHING. I TAKE FIBER SUPPLEMENTS BC MY DOCTOR SAID TOO BC I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH BEING REGULAR. BUT CHANGE UP YOUR WORKOUTS, LIKE DIFFERENT LEVELS, PROGRAMS, TIME LIMITS. TRY DIFFERENT WORKOUT CLASSES AS WELL. BUILD MUSCLE TO HELP YOU BURN FAT WHILE DOING YOUR CARDIO. HOPE THAT HELPS YOU OUT. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Don't use the Colon Cleanse.... My friends wife used it and almost died. She landed in the hospital and had to have her kidney taken out. Be careful with anything you buy over the counter without your doctor knowing about it.

Wow, that is really awful, I'm sorry. :noway:

I agree...'cleanses' are not tested by the FDA and are really just sold OTC until they cause enough serious illnesses or death. Your body cleanses itself...the kidneys and liver screen the blood and remove toxins. The kidneys send the good stuff back in and the bad or excess stuff out. There is really no way to detoxify your liver, and I have yet to hear an explanation as to how these things work, because people that sell them don't know anything about the human body, and sometimes the people that buy them don't either (no offense).
  • adnama08
    Options
    I think all your suggestions are good. I've been doing a lot of yoga and pilates and I feel a difference in my body even if the scale disagrees. I think the biggest think I need to do is to start eating a lot more veggies and fruits though and keep at it with the water. I was told whatever your weight is divided by 2 is how many ounces of water you should drink in a day. Thats a lot of effing water.
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Don't use products that none of us can pronoun the words...if you want to detox, drink hot water with lemon juice for 28 days this will help the kidneys and add some honey and that will help the bowel. Healthy cleansing should be easy and safe. These items are healthy for you and won't hurt you. For the lemon detox- the first week you will see little pimples(they are not big and people may not even notice)- this is showing the detox working the following week you are fine. Good Luck! For weight loss- fibre is your friend- add all bran cereal to your breakfast, salads, yougurt, add on top of other cereals or muffins just some suggestions.
  • niffer77
    Options
    Can anyone really tell me the side effects and why the colon cleanse is so dangerous??
    Thanks
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    any time I use a detox, I use the same thing. it was doctor recmnd nad it is dafe and not really for detox, just a parasital cleansing....

please don't just take what ever the new fad is.....

It can really hurt you..

I use paragone once every three months, it is stacked full of natural, vitamines.....

ask a doc first!!!!!
  • Starrotts
    Starrotts Posts: 164
    Options
    :flowerforyou: i am so glad i read this i wont be trying to detox now im fine............:blushing:
  • WantToBeMoreActive
    Options
    pilates and yoga are great! But you have to do cardio and resistance training (weights)

Have you seen the threads on here for the new members ??? They talk about boosting your matabolism, the exercise you should be doing and your eating habits. Do a search and you'll find it

Don't give up, this journey is too important :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Can anyone really tell me the side effects and why the colon cleanse is so dangerous??
    Thanks

The colon is part of your immune system. Important bacteria are produced in your colon, and there are connections to the lymph system in the lining of your colon. Your colon is also lined with a thick layer of mucous to keep the cells there protected from irritants. Colon cleanses disrupt all of those important elements and often cause diarrhea, which can irritate your colon and rectum, reduce nutrient absorption, and leave you dehydrated.

Fecal matter doesn't stick to the inside of the colon because it is constantly being pushed out with contractions and it slides along the mucous. So there's no reason to speed up the transit when the fecal matter is going to come out anyway.
  • niffer77
    Options
    Thanks for the input!!