Hello!

Options
Hi everyone! I'm a 21 year old currently living in Germany. I'm looking to loose around 60 pounds. Currently I'm 5'2, and weigh 176lbs. I've been trying to get this weight off for 2 years. Now I'm finally ready to get serious and busy. I've started holding myself accountable for everything I put in my mouth. I've also started walking a lot and couch to 5k. Now I just need to conquer my sugar addiction. Every day this week I was over my recommended sugar intake. I love chocolate and that's a large part of my problem. Would love to make some friends to keep me motivated and share tips! Wishing everyone luck with their journey's!

Replies

• bethany675
    bethany675 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Emerald has a 100 calorie Dark Cocoa Almond snack pack....gets dark chocolate and almonds. I put mine in the freezer so they are cold and crunchy. LOVE THEM!
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Hi Jenna and welcome!!
  • mmccullough2
    mmccullough2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, have a little chocolate if you like now and then but just not a lot. For me, it was just a matter of putting down the sugar and salt for a few days, maybe a week. After that I didn't really want it any more. It just seems to me that the more you eat of those two things the more you want. Now I eat some now and then but it's just not as satisfying as it once was.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Emerald has a 100 calorie Dark Cocoa Almond snack pack....gets dark chocolate and almonds. I put mine in the freezer so they are cold and crunchy. LOVE THEM!

I like those too sometimes. IN the freezer?? Hmmmmm. Will have to try that
  • pwrchrd
    pwrchrd Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Your taste for sugar will slowly grow less and less, but never will it completely leave. A life without the things you love is not a life. But a life with the things you love, in moderation, is fine. I reward myself on days I do extra workouts or a really hard workout where I know I will have a big calories deficit. Something little, perhaps a beer, but something to say, job well done, but that doesn't sabotage the job well done!
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem - I caved today and had a slice of Lemon Meringue Pie when out - oh it tasted so good but has just reinforced my need for sugar - it's so unfair.

However all is not lost. I tend to plan my meals for the day at the start, working out my calories and what I can eat for example is 4.50pm here in the Uk and I planned mine and hubby-to-be's dinner this morning, I am doing roast dinner, turkey veg yorkshires however he is having roast potatoes and I am not. I found that by planning my meals ahead I could leave a couple of hundred free for snacks, be that good healthy pat yourself on the back snacks or something nice but naughty.
  • harlanJEN
    Options
    I believe that it is all things in moderation. Finding a way of eating for a lifetime, not just a short period of time. If you deprive yourself and ban certain foods, especially foods that you love, will never stick with it. Who could ? If you love chocolate - have it !
    In moderation. Have you considered the small Dove or Hershey Bliss chocolate squares? THey are big enough to get a nice hit of chocolate, but small enough for good portion and calorie control.

Good luck and Welcome !!!
  • Stacyrad
    Stacyrad Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a mom of a one year old and I am wanting to lose my baby weigh before baby number 2 is a thought. I also love sweets and snack. Awwww!! Not exactly a good way to lose that weight.
  • harlanJEN
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem - I caved today and had a slice of Lemon Meringue Pie when out - oh it tasted so good but has just reinforced my need for sugar - it's so unfair.

I love lemon meringue pie too, but won't have it in the house. Eating it out is a good idea. HAve you tried .. Jello Temptations Lemon Meringue Pie dessert ? In the refrigerated pudding section of grocery store If you let your creative mind wander - it tastes like lemon merinque pie without the crust. I will keep keep those in the fridge for a treat - 100 cals.
  • HankFit247
    HankFit247 Posts: 139
    Options
    Welcome!

We're all here to provide assistance and support. Just let me know how I can be of personal assistance.

Hank
  • Jenna5890
    Jenna5890 Posts: 11
    Options

I love these!!!! unfortunately I haven't been able to find them in Germany. That's the other part of the struggle I'm currently having. It's hard to find sugar free options of my favorite sweets. Things like sugar free jello/pudding, syrups, splenda, candy, etc have to be ordered because they aren't available in stores here. Or you have to go to larger cities like Munich to get them which is about an hour from where I live. It's times like these I really miss grocery stores in the US. I'm also having struggles finding low calorie bread options. I'm trying my best though. Haven't been the best eater/tracker this week but starting tomorrow I'm going to get back on track. Thank you everyone for being so supportive!
  • vaderq84
    vaderq84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Jenna, welcome to MFP.
  • JoeB71
    JoeB71 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your sugar problem. Regardless what many think, sugar is a drug & very addictive. When I cut out soda I started going nuts. I constantly felt like I had to have it badly. I do occasionally have sweet drinks & snacks but very rarely touch soda. I'm also in the same boat with sodium. Both of them are in just about everything we eat so it's hard to avoid if we don't pay attention. Over time as you study your daily intake on MFP you'll start to see your problem foods & will be able to cut those out gradually.
  • chloeelebeir
    chloeelebeir Posts: 130
    Options
    Hey there! I'm new as well and I'm loving the support this site is bringing, not to mention the amazing tools. Feel free to friend me and we can encourage one another! Good luck!