Herniated disc and cardio- so frustrated

Options
Recently found out I have a herniated disc in my lower back. While I still lift, doing cardio has been immensely frustrating. I love doing it but I'm to the point of quitting because I always end up hurting afterwards. I've tried incline walking, both types of bikes and even the stairs once or twice. I'm considering yoga or Pilates but I just don't feel like I'll get a great workout from it. I want to work out but I just don't want any more back pain.

Here are my questions...
1). If you've suffered from this, what have you done for cardio? Any suggestions or recommendations?

2). Any recommendations on yoga or Pilates? I want something that will make me feel like I've worked out.

Replies

• CarikeS
    CarikeS Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Light walking outside until your doctor gives a thumbs up for anything else. You don't want to do more damage by over exerting yourself. Your back needs to support you for many more years.
  • kazzymack252
    kazzymack252 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have sent you a message.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Did a medical doctor tell you the cause of the pain is the herniated disc? Many people have herniated discs without pain. You could be having SI joint, psoas or piriformis issues.

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spine-anatomy/all-about-spinal-disc-problems

With a proper diagnosis, physical therapy can help. Best of luck.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have a very painful herniated disc (L5 S1); the only cardio I can do pain free is cycling and since it's cold and snowy where I live I use a stationary bike. Walking is okay depending on the day and my pain level, but the stationary bike never bothers me. Even yoga bothers my back because of the twisting and bending movements.

It sucks, but don't do more than what your body is capable of. I kept lifting through my pain (before I knew what it was) and all I did was make myself worse off. It's not worth being in pain all the time just to complete a workout.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Herniated disc symptoms are pretty individual in my experience. For I have an l4 herniation, yet I can still run, incline walk, and do most other forms of cardio.

If you haven't done so, a good course of physical therapy can help you learn how to better move your body as well as improve spine stability.

If you can do some lifting, but not regular cardio, you nmight look at dumbbell or kettle bell complexes. They aren't "strength training" per se, but they can have a cardio effect.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I have two herniated discs (L3/4 & L5/S1) as well as scoliosis and arthritis in my back. I still do spin, walk, strength training, and yoga. However, when I first had the herniated discs, I only walked outside on a fairly level area. Hills or steep inclines tended to aggravate it.

Like you, I love to do cardio. But I had to take a break for a while and give my body time to heal. It's frustrating but give yourself time to heal. And if anything makes your back hurt, stop. It doesn't mean you won't ever be able to do that activity, it just means it's not right for you at that particular time. You'll get there.

Yoga has made a huge difference in my back. I tried Pilates several times but wasn't able to tolerate it. However, I'm ready to try it again because it's so good for building core muscles. Planks are great too and might be something you can do, especially kneeling planks.

I was skeptical, but I can honestly say that seeing a chiropractor helped me get back to the gym. It's not the right solution for everyone but it made a huge difference for me. Others swear by massage. You really have to find what works best for you. Listen to your body and let it heal.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,300 Member
    Options
    I will - hopefully - find out what's been causing my months long lower back pain next week, but can you ride a recumbent bike? I don't experience any pain when I do that.

How was your issue diagnosed? By feel? X-ray?mri?

@Packerjohn - thanks for providing a link.

I just I was experience good soreness from constant heavy lifting until I couldn't do a regular cobbler/butterfly pose. Both knees could go down easily, my right now stays up (!) with a pain that shoots down the side of the thigh and ends right below the knee when I try to have it go down.

I'm encouraged you can still lift tho!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I ruptured a disk last July in my c6/7...shooting pain down my left arm and both arms were numb all the way to my finger tips. I couldn't lift or do cardio other than walking. I did 8 weeks of physical therapy 2x per week and just went to the gym to do my "homework". It's taken until just before Thanksgiving for me to be back to normal...I spent December doing some pretty light riding and lifting to make sure I was good to go and I'm just getting back into my normal routine as of the new year.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I have a bulging disk. Right now I cycle using a bike that keeps me upright. At a gym I use a recumbant. The cardio is as extensive as you want it to be.

I do Pilates, in a very careful, basic way. There is one called "Pilates for conditioning and weight loss" (Susan deason I think, gaiam) that has extreme beginner moves and focuses on core. And variations as you get better.

I find workouts that are slow and controlled, where you focus carefully on what you're doing are much better for me then moves that may jerk you around or that are impactful.
  • schwest76
    schwest76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback. I did 3 months of physical therapy and it was still aggravated. I had an X-ray and MRI that shows a moderate herniated disc in theK4-L5 area. I just had an epidural today. I did talk to him about exercise and it sounds like cycling on the regular bike (not the recumbent bike) should be ok. Between that and adding a yoga session or two should hopefully help.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I chose my very upright bicycle and recumbant at gyms as I also have shoulder bursitis and neck issues from the same car accident that messed up my back. There is zero arm pressure at the gym, and on my upright cruiser there is very little forward lean and pressure on my arms unless I get lazy. I actually get a decent lower core workout when I sit tall. Leg lifts ya know.

I hate to tell you but back pain and problems are long term. Generally for life. It becomes all about pain management when there is an acute flare, and careful strength and maintenance in between flares. I have been suffering back problems since my 20's. I'm now 50. You'll always need to be mindful of what you're doing if and when you do get to a relatively pain free part of your life.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    schwest76 wrote: »
    Recently found out I have a herniated disc in my lower back. While I still lift, doing cardio has been immensely frustrating. I love doing it but I'm to the point of quitting because I always end up hurting afterwards. I've tried incline walking, both types of bikes and even the stairs once or twice. I'm considering yoga or Pilates but I just don't feel like I'll get a great workout from it. I want to work out but I just don't want any more back pain.

Here are my questions...
    1). If you've suffered from this, what have you done for cardio? Any suggestions or recommendations?

2). Any recommendations on yoga or Pilates? I want something that will make me feel like I've worked out.

Has your doctor cleared you for exercise? My husband had a herniated disc and ended having surgery to have it removed. He was only cleared to walk and do his back exercises. Yoga might be possible, but you don't typically get big calorie burns. I would check with your doctor though because there may be certain poses that would be bad for your back. Avoiding back surgery would be best.
  • KristyDonovan
    KristyDonovan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had to have back surgery for two herniated disks. Try swimming! It's an amazing whole body exercise and it's what my surgeon and PT said I should do for little impact. I've lost 33 lbs swimming. Also you can add resistance by getting hand paddles and flippers. I swim so much now I got an underwater iPod!