21-Day Fix 1200-1499 Bracket Question

Options
jgeig327
jgeig327 Posts: 10 Member
edited January 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hi All-
I don't usually post to message boards (I do read them, though) so please be easy on me, I'm just starting out.

I started the 21-day fix on Tuesday. *Note I have not received the actual containers- I am going by what their measurements are- 1C, 1/2C, etc. and I have the list of foods you can have*

I am in the 1299-1499 food bracket with the containers 3G, 2P, 4R, etc. etc, but I've also been putting in the food in MFP to keep track of the mealplans (its just easier for me), so I've noticed that every day I am literally less than 1200 calories.

I do weigh out my food as well on an (accurate!!) food scale so I noticed that the last 3 days I've been well under 1200 cal/day. Also, I've been SUPER hungry at night-- during the day I am okay, but come 7/8pm my stomach is growling like crazy. I don't have a lot of carbs- I stick with the 4Red containers for protein which usually hits the mark (according to MFP) on how much protein I should have a day and the 2 yellow containers...

Also I was told "whatever fits in the container you can eat" so I pack it full of food as much as it will hold without running over and I go by that.

I try to drink as much water as I can, but I travel in and out of patient's homes so sometimes it isn't appropriate to use their bathroom. I've been managing at least 3- 16oz bottles of water per day during the 8:30-5 hrs and then maybe 1-2 additional when I get home.

I guess my question is, is this correct? Less than 1200 calories? It just doesn't seem right since everything I read is "don't eat less than 1200 calories a day" and my stomach doesn't agree when its rumbling all evening long. Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i don't have any advice, but this is why I have some issues with the 21day fix and recommendations - is there any reason why you opted for that route, rather than just simple calorie tracking in MFP (especially since it seems you are already familiar with weighing food etc)
  • jgeig327
    Options
    i don't have any advice, but this is why I have some issues with the 21day fix and recommendations - is there any reason why you opted for that route, rather than just simple calorie tracking in MFP (especially since it seems you are already familiar with weighing food etc)

I wanted to be able to portion out my food and meal plan. The plan was to use the 21-day fix to jump start the "eating right" routine, and then once I get into a groove, I can continue on with portion control etc. I used MFP before to track the calories, but I wanted a little more structure for myself because I run around all day so lots of times I skip meals and then when I get home at night I'm starved and eat too much dinner and that ruins everything. So to answer the question in this round about way, I wanted a little more structure with a program to follow along with.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If your calorie goal with them is 1299-1499 shouldn't you be eating that much? That makes no sense to eat under 1200. Since you're already logging and using a food scale why not just follow MFP?
  • jgeig327
    Options
    If your calorie goal with them is 1299-1499 shouldn't you be eating that much? That makes no sense to eat under 1200. Since you're already logging and using a food scale why not just follow MFP?

That's exactly what I am saying, seeing as how I am new the 21-day fix thing, I just don't understand why the bracket is 1299-1499 yet what I measure out in MFP is less than 1200. As for the "why not just use MFP", again as I said above, its more about the structure and the healthy clean eating, timing of meals, what I should eat and when to have it be most effective, etc.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I haven't done the 21 day fix program, but I have found that BeachBody calorie intake estimations have always been way off for me. I followed my MFP calculations and that worked well for me.

Since you are trying to get back on track with meal planning, maybe you can use your MFP numbers to calculate the calories, and then use the containers to keep yourself on track with macros/balanced meals? See if following the MFP calories helps, then you can play around with the macros to see what feels best for you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    jgeig327 wrote: »
    Hi All-
    I don't usually post to message boards (I do read them, though) so please be easy on me, I'm just starting out.

I started the 21-day fix on Tuesday. *Note I have not received the actual containers- I am going by what their measurements are- 1C, 1/2C, etc. and I have the list of foods you can have*

I am in the 1299-1499 food bracket with the containers 3G, 2P, 4R, etc. etc, but I've also been putting in the food in MFP to keep track of the mealplans (its just easier for me), so I've noticed that every day I am literally less than 1200 calories.

I do weigh out my food as well on an (accurate!!) food scale so I noticed that the last 3 days I've been well under 1200 cal/day. Also, I've been SUPER hungry at night-- during the day I am okay, but come 7/8pm my stomach is growling like crazy. I don't have a lot of carbs- I stick with the 4Red containers for protein which usually hits the mark (according to MFP) on how much protein I should have a day and the 2 yellow containers...

Also I was told "whatever fits in the container you can eat" so I pack it full of food as much as it will hold without running over and I go by that.

I try to drink as much water as I can, but I travel in and out of patient's homes so sometimes it isn't appropriate to use their bathroom. I've been managing at least 3- 16oz bottles of water per day during the 8:30-5 hrs and then maybe 1-2 additional when I get home.

I guess my question is, is this correct? Less than 1200 calories? It just doesn't seem right since everything I read is "don't eat less than 1200 calories a day" and my stomach doesn't agree when its rumbling all evening long. Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

1200 - 1499 is going to depend upon your choices. That's why 21 Day Fix is a range. I've never used 21DF but it's basically a rip off of the old Weight Watchers exchanges program, so it's familiar.

For example - 1 cup of strawberries = 50 calories. 1 cup of pineapple = 75 calories. If you are a big strawberry eater you are going to be on the low end.

If you are using 21DF AND logging besides.......then just log. 1200 is a default minimum (before exercise) here. Most women are going to be able to lose and eat more.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

That's exactly what I am saying, seeing as how I am new the 21-day fix thing, I just don't understand why the bracket is 1299-1499 yet what I measure out in MFP is less than 1200. As for the "why not just use MFP", again as I said above, its more about the structure and the healthy clean eating, timing of meals, what I should eat and when to have it be most effective, etc.

So maybe add another container or two of something until you get to your calorie goal. Then you're still eating healthy and the way you want but you're reaching a better calorie level? I have never used the containers - was looking at them but my food scale seems so much easier.
  • jgeig327
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Hi All-

1200 - 1499 is going to depend upon your choices. That's why 21 Day Fix is a range. I've never used 21DF but it's basically a rip off of the old Weight Watchers exchanges program, so it's familiar.

For example - 1 cup of strawberries = 50 calories. 1 cup of pineapple = 75 calories. If you are a big strawberry eater you are going to be on the low end.

If you are using 21DF AND logging besides.......then just log. 1200 is a default minimum (before exercise) here. Most women are going to be able to lose and eat more.

Okay, thanks!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons 21 day fix works so "great" (when it works), is that you are eating less than you think. I would advice just weighing and counting. "List of foods you can have" :# But anyway. Why don't you just keep loosely to the meal plan (number of components) as a guide to get in what you need every day, but then weigh and log so that you know that you aren't under- nor overeating? Skip the containers.
  • jgeig327
    Options

So maybe add another container or two of something until you get to your calorie goal. Then you're still eating healthy and the way you want but you're reaching a better calorie level? I have never used the containers - was looking at them but my food scale seems so much easier.

Yeah, I mean, that makes sense. I guess I take things too literally (i.e. 3 green containers per day, Okay that's all I'm allowed to have for this to work).
  • jgeig327
    Options
    One of the reasons 21 day fix works so "great" (when it works), is that you are eating less than you think. I would advice just weighing and counting. "List of foods you can have" :# But anyway. Why don't you just keep loosely to the meal plan (number of components) as a guide to get in what you need every day, but then weigh and log so that you know that you aren't under- nor overeating? Skip the containers.

True, good point!
  • deannalfisher
    Options

i think that is the OP's point...she is filling the containers per the instruction for her calorie goal range...but when she weighs everything and logs it into MFP there is a significant difference
  • jgeig327
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I haven't done the 21 day fix program, but I have found that BeachBody calorie intake estimations have always been way off for me. I followed my MFP calculations and that worked well for me.

Since you are trying to get back on track with meal planning, maybe you can use your MFP numbers to calculate the calories, and then use the containers to keep yourself on track with macros/balanced meals? See if following the MFP calories helps, then you can play around with the macros to see what feels best for you.

How would you play around with macros? Like, how would I know how much of one thing is appropriate for me to have--- like, there must be a guide to accurately tell how much protein/carbs my body can have per day in order for me not to overdo it (obviously I'm not going to be eating massive quantities of everything, I'm just saying). Is there anything out there that I can use to figure that out with (besides the default MFP macros)?
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    do you weigh your food? a container of food will vary in weight depending how full it is and thus calories
  • jgeig327
    edited January 2017
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    do you weigh your food? a container of food will vary in weight depending how full it is and thus calories

Yes- I have and weigh everything with a digital food scale
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    personally - i aim for 1g protein/lean muscle mass GOAL (so 125g a day); carbs tends to be about 50% and fat where it falls - but you can take a look at my log for how my breakdowns work (I cycle through 4 different levels; the only thing that stays constant is my protein)
  • jgeig327
    Options
    personally - i aim for 1g protein/lean muscle mass GOAL (so 125g a day); carbs tends to be about 50% and fat where it falls - but you can take a look at my log for how my breakdowns work (I cycle through 4 different levels; the only thing that stays constant is my protein)

Okay I will look, thanks!
  • deannalfisher
    Options

Okay I will look, thanks!

november is probably a better place to look - i fell off the tracking wagon over christmas :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hi All-

OP, this is why we always say it is more accurate to weigh your portions rather than use volume measurements. You and I could both determine we are eating "1 cup" of protein, but depending on what protein we choose and how hard we cram it into the container :) we could end up with very different calorie levels.

If you are not super duper short, and you are doing an intense workout, you should not need to eat less than 1200 calories. Personally, I wouldn't use the containers to determine my portions. But if you want to, just either add an extra container or two of something, or maybe give yourself an extra snack at the end of the day to get you to your actual calorie goal.
  • Spinny08
    Spinny08 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello -
    I did one round of 21 Day Fix and I loved it, loved everything about it. Was super easy to pack lunches and on the go snacks and best of all NO WEIGHING! I really dislike weighing foods, to me it is super inconvenient and time consuming, I do have an awesome scale though!

You are right, it if fits in a closed container you can eat it, however there are some foods that do not fit and you need to know the quantities .... for example 2 eggs is equal to one protein, 10 baby carrots is equal to one veggie container. Your measurements are a little off, purple and green are 1-1/4 cups.

I am never left feeling hungry at night, usually I am satisfied but there are some days I cannot complete all my containers.

Like others have said, it depends on the calorie content of the foods you are placing in your containers and how you prepare the food you are putting in the container. For example, Instead of putting a whole piece of chicken breast in my container, taking it out and then slicing it - I sliced my chicken before putting it in my container. Some people are thinking right now ... wow ... that seems like way more work then just weighing the foods. I believe it is all in your mindset, I am hoping to broaden mine!

I am new to MFP and hoping I can stick to the weighing and measuring, I recently joined a group and the coach requires weighing foods and keeping a diary.

I understand what people are saying about how it is much more accurate to weigh, but honestly it is has been the biggest hurdle for me and the thing that derails me. The 21 Day Fix was the first eating plan I have ever stuck to. My hope is that as I weigh my containers each day I will begin to learn how full I can make them and with which foods. I think this will help me to maintain my weight more easily once I hit my goal and if I find out I get to have an extra container of food each day in order to meet my calorie requirements, I just see that as an additional treat for me!