Hello & Help - Heading Into The Last Chance Saloon

Options
Hello. Very pleased to have found this site and this community. I have just got back from a three week holiday in Greece. I was active there compared to normal day to day work (swimming and walking everyday) but - as my husband pointed out - I ate like a horse So I got back and had put on 5 lbs so I am the heaviest I have ever been in my life. I know I have a major problem with portion size as I eat twice as much as my husband and I eat when I'm bored. I have a low boredom threshold. So a fatal combination. Do you remember that nursery rhyme about Jack Spratt could eat no fat and his wife could eat no lean. That's me and my husband.

But this holiday was the first time in my life where I felt that my weight was stopping me from doing things I really wanted to do. Walking in the heat (it was 35 degrees centigrade in Greece) left me a sweaty and a puffed out mess. I was embarrassed to go on a day's sailing in a little dinghy. I got out for a swim in the sea and really struggled to get back in the dinghy. My husband couldn't help me in and I had to swim to shore and be picked up in shallow waters because I was too heavy to pull myself into the boat.
My thighs rubbed against each other when I walked; my ankles swelled up in the heat and - all in all - it was very depressing. Part of me just wanted to eat away the pain of it but I am two years away from my 50th birthday and I really want to take control of my weight.

I think people are looking at me and judging me thinking that I've let myself go - and they are right. So now I am determined to kick myself up my very large behind and sort myself out. I know I'll need support and wisdom and I hope I'll find it here. But this is the start of a long and difficult journey I know. I'm originally from Belfast but living in Bristol.

Replies

• maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You have the right mind set, just take baby steps. Find some good, supportive pals on here and go to town! There is a ladies 40+ thread that I am a part of that is wonderful. Feel free to add me as a friend and remember, You CAN do this!
    :flowerforyou:
  • rcrews4
    rcrews4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You will find tons of support on this site. Keep moving and good luck!
  • OpenWindow
    OpenWindow Posts: 15
    Options
    Congratulations on making this decision to become a better, healthier you. For me the hardest step in my journey (it hasn't been a long one, yet. Just 12 days.) is to stick by my commitment, but this site helps me more than I ever thought it would. When I think about eating something that isn't too great for me, I think "How will that look when I log it in my food diary?" I am always thinking about the calories in things and feel that being more conscious about what I'm putting in my mouth everyday. Now I just need to be more committed to working out :)

I wish you luck, but with this site, you may not need it :) I have become more and more motivated by reading the stories of others.
  • lauram1153
    lauram1153 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i'veonly started today and already this day feels great thanks to the support on this site x
  • dulcy
    dulcy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    well you've come to the right place. This site is great for support. You WILL succeed just stick with it x :flowerforyou:
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 117
    Options
    Well done on deciding to become a healthier you. Having to log everything you eat in a food diary will really help you. Make sure you weigh everything so you know EXACTLY how many calories you're taking on board. Try swapping your regular dinner plate for a (large) side plate and try to drink a glass of water just before your meals. And if you feel bored - take yourself off out for a walk. I also find that chewing sugar free gum stops me from eating things like sweets and chocolate. Good luck.
    Netty
    ps - feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • HankFit247
    HankFit247 Posts: 139
    Options
    Welcome!

We're all here to provide assistance and support. Just let me know how I can be of personal assistance.

Hank
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Welcome. The best advice I can give you is:

Make sure you are doing it for yourself and you health. If you do it to please others or because you think others are judging you, success will be very difficult to achieve.

Don't try to be perfect all at once, it's unrealistic and you are setting yourself up for failure. Make one or two small changes every 2-3 weeks.

If you make a poor choice or "fall of the wagon" don't beat yourself up over it. Learn from it if you can and move on. Get back on program with the next meal.

Good luck- as long as you don't give up you can't fail
  • Cccaroline
    Cccaroline Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I can really relate to what you say. I am a similar age and have had the same problems. I started properly 3 months ago and am not far off half way to my goal. I have been on many diets before but this has to be the best!! Get yourself a good group of friends who give you plenty of feedback and you'll be away!! Good luck:) You're welcome to friend me if you like.