Obera Balloon?

Options
Hi, Has anyone had the Obera Balloon procedure? If so, how are your results, the procedure, etc.? The balloon, filled with saline, occupies space in your tummy and it is put in with an endoscopy procedure. It stays in for 6 months and then is deflated and removed. I have an appointment with a doctor in a few weeks. There is no cutting or rerouting like in a gastric sleeve or gastric by-pass. Thank you.
p.s. I am, for over 45 years, a compulsive overeater yo-yo dieter binge eater all or nothing. I did see a new dietician 2 weeks ago and have a number to call a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. I think, hopefully, the balloon will make me feel full, eat less and hopefully will help me learn to eat less, lose weight etc.
Any thoughts, negative or positive on this is welcomed. Thank you!

Replies

• 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    *orbera
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't understand how it can teach you to eat less when it makes you always feel full? You aren't supposed to always feel full. Physically, undereating leads to overeating. But mentally, binge eating isn't about wanting to feel full, it's to numb feelings you don't want to deal with.

If you consistently eat less than you burn, you will lose weight. Consistency is just as important as eating less. You need to work on the all or nothing-mentality, and find other ways than eating to handle negative emotions.
  • 150poundsofme
    Options
    I think you won't be able to overeat because you will fill full pretty quickly . True about the binge eating and numbing feelings.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't understand how it can teach you to eat less when it makes you always feel full? You aren't supposed to always feel full. Physically, undereating leads to overeating. But mentally, binge eating isn't about wanting to feel full, it's to numb feelings you don't want to deal with.

If you consistently eat less than you burn, you will lose weight. Consistency is just as important as eating less. You need to work on the all or nothing-mentality, and find other ways than eating to handle negative emotions.

This. I was going to say this, but couldn't quite find the words.

Yes, it fills your stomach, but it won't help you stop binging/overeating. What happens when the balloon gets deflated? It hasn't fixed your binging so you'll go right back to it. It is just a bandaid for a compound fracture. I know with me, I will continue to binge even if I am full as heck. I think CBT may be a better option for you to get to the root of the overeating issue.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    If you dont feel full after compulsive overeating a balloon isnt going to help you. Why bother? Treat the underlying mental hurdles dont get a surgery that will do you no good anyway. Spend time surfing these forums. Educate yourself.
  • 150poundsofme
    Options
    I do feel full after compulsive eating. I will do a lot more research. Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I have heard commercials for it on the radio. I am no expert, have no direct experience so my advice is general and can be applied to many things in life: question everything.

From what they say on the radio I understand it is nonsurgical but still has risks. It is temporary. It is intended to teach portion control. I can see the logic of how a balloon in your stomach could make you feel 'full' on less food. If you typically eat until you feel full and then stop, perhaps this could be a useful tool? If you eat when you're not feeling hungry, and eat beyond feeling 'full' then I'm not sure how it would help. And I do not understand how it manages to teach one portion control.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    It seems to me it might actually be less helpful for binge eating (which has little to do with actual hunger/fulness - many binge eaters will do it to the point of pain) and more helpful for people who just slightly overeat due to an inappropriate appetite. If binge eating is your issue, it seems like this is fixing the wrong problem.

I recommend doing research on how people who have successfully tackled binge eating actually did it. One good resource is the Half Size Me podcast - the host successfully tackled binge eating and talks about it a lot.
  • tvkoo
    tvkoo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is a temporary balloon, right? Won't you get used to feeling full all the time and be super hungry when it comes out?
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just saw something on this, and find it interesting. It certainly seems more sensible than having your innards rearranged with invasive surgery. The bottom line is that this, like bariatric surgery, only give people a head start on WL. Unless any mental issues are addressed, and long held habits changed, it won't help long term.

Most of the many people I know who have had WL surgery have gained some weight back. Many gain it all back.

Still, as a tool used as part of a comprehensive program, it seems much better than more invasive options.

But the hard work will still be needed for any real change.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I've heard of the balloon, and the surgeon I initially saw for lap-bands is going to be offering doing the balloons now too, as I understand.

My issue with bariatric surgeries designed to make you feel fuller sooner are nice and can be a very effective tool....particularly if you only eat because you're hungry all the time. Unfortunately, I never ate because I was hungry. I ate because I was happy, sad, tired bored, elated depressed, because it was sunny, rainy, snowing, windy, because traffic ticked me off, because we'd get solicitors at work even though there were signs on the doors that said "No Soliciting". I'm very much an emotional eater.

Your surgeon should set you up with a nutritionist, a therapist, and know or have a support group that you can attend for people who've had that procedure. The therapist and the nutritionist are (IMHO) the two most important....to help you figure out why you're eating and what you might be able to eat instead.

As others have eluded to, the surgery is only a tool. It isn't a magic bullet and the weight won't just "fall off" without other effort in changing your eating habits and understanding why you turn to food in the first place.

For what it's worth.....
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi, Has anyone had the Obera Balloon procedure? If so, how are your results, the procedure, etc.? The balloon, filled with saline, occupies space in your tummy and it is put in with an endoscopy procedure. It stays in for 6 months and then is deflated and removed. I have an appointment with a doctor in a few weeks. There is no cutting or rerouting like in a gastric sleeve or gastric by-pass. Thank you.
    p.s. I am, for over 45 years, a compulsive overeater yo-yo dieter binge eater all or nothing. I did see a new dietician 2 weeks ago and have a number to call a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. I think, hopefully, the balloon will make me feel full, eat less and hopefully will help me learn to eat less, lose weight etc.

I have not heard of this, but I am curious. Your username is "150poundsofme," which leads me to believe you weigh 150 pounds. If that is correct, why do you want a balloon?

How much are you trying to lose?

Good job on getting help for your issues around food. :)
  • 150poundsofme
    Options
    Noel57 Did you get a high pitched voice lol

I would like to weigh 123 to 150, of course, not sure until I am near those numbers. I currrently weigh 260 and am 5'3" though maybe have shrunk a little. I have been losing and gaining the same 20 pounds for the last 2 years. I was up around 270 and sometimes 286. Years ago I went down to 220 but then went back up to 266.
    I am trying to find as much research as I can. A forum but not too many people there because it is newish. I do see that after the procedure for the next 6 months, I think you are eating as though you have had gastric bypass or the gastric sleeve - first week just clear liquids, then later pureed foods, then eating your protein first etc. I would need within those 6 months to get cured of my eating disorder or otherwise I would go back to binging. I so want to lose weight but for whatever reasons can't seem to do the work to lose (sometimes I do but when I get into binging mode it can take me months to get myself geared up to start eating in smaller quantity and healthier choices. My name is 150poundsofme and I have a problem.
    p.s. Thank you all for your supportive comments and thoughts. I do appreciate them.
  • CajunCher2005
    CajunCher2005 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This procedure reminds me of nicotine gum and patches to help you quit smoking. As soon as the gum or patches are removed, the person starts smoking again. You just have to get your mindset in place and not rely on a quick fix. Period.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I would need within those 6 months to get cured of my eating disorder or otherwise I would go back to binging.

The problem there is that you are trying to learn to deal with your eating problems while having surgically altered them. It's like trying to learn to ride a bike when you don't have a bike. So when you get your bike back - ie the balloon is removed - everyone expects you to be able to ride it but you're more likely to fall off.

There are a lot of people here who have dealt with binging and there is a lot of experience to tap into. One question I would ask is what do you do after you have a binge? Do you keep logging your calories (including the binge) and carry on the next day? Or do you get overwhelmed and give up all attempts to lose weight?

One of the most powerful things you can do when you have a binge is accept it, log it in full, and just carry on. No judgement, no guilt, no drama. A binge does not have to derail you at all. But if you feed the drama by hating yourself and beating yourself up, the binge just keeps getting bigger and bigger - it's a spiral.

I had a number of small binges yesterday because I'm working on getting back to my calorie goals after the festive season and I was rebelling against my own efforts. As a result, I was well over my goal for the day. But I'm getting to be an old hand at this now - I logged it all, shrugged my shoulders and said "tomorrow is another day". Over time that attitude has defused binging so that now they are small and self-limiting and generally pretty rare. It takes time, but you can do it.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I have not heard of this, but I am curious. Your username is "150poundsofme," which leads me to believe you weigh 150 pounds. If that is correct, why do you want a balloon?

How much are you trying to lose?

Good job on getting help for your issues around food. :)

Actually my guess was they want to lose 150 pounds- so probably weigh around 300?
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I think learning self control and therapy would be a lot more effective.

If you yo yo diet the bingeing may be a reaction to over restricting- which isn't effective for weight loss anyhow. Too few calories is just as bad as too many. It's about balance. If you eat too little not only are you starving and likely to binge, but you will slow your metabolism, lose muscle (actually more muscle than body fat), have no energy for exercise, poor health, even likely cause organ damage and hormonal disruption. But if you just maintain a mild calorie deficit you will be able to lose body fat effortlessly (though more slowly) without any or those negative side effects.

How many things in your life are better when done with an all or nothing approach? I'm guessing not many. Just because you can't pay off your entire home loan at once do you stop paying the monthly mortgage payment? If you can't work 7 days a week for every waking hour do you just give up and not work at all? Weight loss is similar- and no balloon apparatus is going to help you learn new mental behaviors.

Get a therapist who specializes in eating disorders and obsessive behaviors and I think it will be time and money much better spent.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My sister got this done and lost a lot of weight but it makes her throw up every time she overeats. And by overeats I mean every time she eats more than a small handful of food, which is almost every time. It's really horrible actually. Please just learn to eat properly, there are no quick fixes.