One Year-50 Pounds Gone

Options
Rocknut53
Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
One year ago today I decided it was time once and for all to lose the final 50 pounds I needed to get rid of. Over the past 4 years after a high of 190#, I lost, I gained, and had just given up. Something finally clicked in my brain that failure was no longer an option so here I am today, having gone from 190# to 130#. I'm off my cholesterol and GERD meds, my resting hear rate is 54, and my blood pressure is excellent. I haven't weighed this little for 35 years. I accomplished this with careful tracking of my calories (yes, weighing and measuring even as those around me rolled their eyes), hiking my a** off with my dog, and by paying attention to those on MFP that have good solid advice and those that have succeeded and shared their success. Thanks to all of you! Now, on to maintenance and a little recomp in preparation for a Grand Teton climb this summer with my 45 year old son who insists that Mom is capable of this feat! We'll see. 5skns527uz55.jpg

Replies

• Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Definitely capable and you will LOVE the Tetons!
    Congratulations and enjoy your adventure!
  • carlavaughan
    carlavaughan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Absolutely inspiring. Well done
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! That is awesome! My son is a "new" geologist too...within his first year of working and recently passed the WA state test that is required. :-) I bring him rocks from all of my travels too
  • CAR513
    CAR513 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good job! I just started and wish I were where you are now! It seems so insurmountable (no pun intended). Congrats on your success and have a wonderful time.
  • SaraBrielle
    SaraBrielle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So inspiring! Awesome! :)
  • newbeginningsprayer
    Options
    Thank you for such an inspiring story. I too am on this journey! Congratulations!
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Well done. :)
  • exercisetofitness
    exercisetofitness Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Awesome jo
  • Slightly_Amusing
    Slightly_Amusing Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I lurk these boards alot and post very rarely. That being said, this is one of my favorite posts. I've revisited this one a few times and have shown my wife.

I lost a little over 25lbs in just a few months and it has really hurt my wife's motivation as she fights the thyroid fight. Seeing stories like this are amazing because it's proof that it works, it takes time, and not everyone is the same.

I can honestly say I am proud of you for sticking this out and making the change. Also, thanks for helping keep others motivated.
  • Rocknut53
    Options
    I lurk these boards alot and post very rarely. That being said, this is one of my favorite posts. I've revisited this one a few times and have shown my wife.

I lost a little over 25lbs in just a few months and it has really hurt my wife's motivation as she fights the thyroid fight. Seeing stories like this are amazing because it's proof that it works, it takes time, and not everyone is the same.

I can honestly say I am proud of you for sticking this out and making the change. Also, thanks for helping keep others motivated.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I know quite a few people with thyroid issues and I know it's not easy. Hopefully your wife can get this under control because once that happens things should go better. Tell her to hang in there.
    My husband had a serious colon surgery a little over a year ago. He was in ICU for 12 days and lost over 30 pounds. He was skin and bones when he was finally able to come home. I was almost at my largest ever and I was seriously jealous that he had lost so much weight! How bad is that? I was embarrassed that I not only still outweighed my husband, but I outweighed him by 35 pounds. That was part of my determination to succeed. Now I weigh 30 pounds less than him.
  • GrowingGlow
    GrowingGlow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congratulations you're an inspiration! I'm proud of you for that and hope that you are too. Diet and exercise are true medicine and you are living proof of that. There's a great inspirational documentary "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" where the man there was able to get off all of his medications, cure his health ailments, and loose massive amounts of weight. You will love the beauty of the Tetons. You're new health will take you places further than you may think. Since you hike, how about hiking the PCT or Appalachian? The book and movie Wild are great motivators for the PCT. The book "A Walk in the Woods" is great for the Appalachian. Don't bother with the movie it's terrible.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Congrats on your hard work and have fun on the climb! (Love those pants, btw)

edit: the black pants lol

• smkondy
    smkondy Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Awesome work & results!! Congratulations & thanks for sharing-very inspirational :)
  • Rocknut53
    Options
    Congrats on your hard work and have fun on the climb! (Love those pants, btw)

edit: the black pants lol

LOL, those are my long johns, standard attire for this time of year in Montana, under something else warm. I would not have been caught dead in them a year ago let alone take a picture of myself. It does feel great!
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    #amazing
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    One year ago today I decided it was time once and for all to lose the final 50 pounds I needed to get rid of. Over the past 4 years after a high of 190#, I lost, I gained, and had just given up. Something finally clicked in my brain that failure was no longer an option so here I am today, having gone from 190# to 130#. I'm off my cholesterol and GERD meds, my resting hear rate is 54, and my blood pressure is excellent. I haven't weighed this little for 35 years. I accomplished this with careful tracking of my calories (yes, weighing and measuring even as those around me rolled their eyes), hiking my a** off with my dog, and by paying attention to those on MFP that have good solid advice and those that have succeeded and shared their success. Thanks to all of you! Now, on to maintenance and a little recomp in preparation for a Grand Teton climb this summer with my 45 year old son who insists that Mom is capable of this feat! We'll see. 5skns527uz55.jpg

You raised the right man. That's a big, big deal. Kudos!

You'll enjoy the trip. Report back, OK? :)
  • nycalison
    nycalison Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm not sure that's the right word- but you look great and that's awesome about getting off the meds :) thanks for the inspiration!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You look great, what a wonderful accomplishment! Enjoy the benefits of the new you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!