Hubby and I Walked To End Of Block

Options
As I have mentioned before, my Triple A personality got me HURT ! I kept pushing WAY before I was ready to exercise . I took some really bad falls. Broke my elbow, wrist, fractured clavicle. Now If iI try to walk I am so TERRIFIED , my knees lock and every muscle in my body tenses up and my legs shake so badly, I can't do anything . The GOOD news is I was evaluated by a extremely knowledgeable Professional Trainer. His conclusion is that I am extremely strong, extremely pliable and due to starting to ride and show horses at age 3 and having every license you can have in swimming, including Rescue at Sea. I would be able to get good results in a shorter period of time. My Husband and I went out to walk to the end of the block. I was OK for about the end of two houses down. Then I started breathing hard and I got scared. I was hanging on Rick. We came back, I was in tears. HOW do I get over this fear ??????

Replies

• katherinadm
    katherinadm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I had a terrible horseback riding accident 9 years ago and life has ne er been the same. I had to learn to walk again with water therapy. I rode anything, anywhere before with no fear. Now I push myself each time I get on my horse to not be afraid. My riding is very little limitted, BUT I am riding again finally. Give yourself time. Each walk is an accomplishment. Give yourself a mantra to repeat over and over to give you courage while you are walking. You can do this.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    do the same walk again tomorrow , maybe it wont be as bad, and then again the next day and keep doing it until you start to relax and can go three houses, and four houses etc.
  • aka62792
    aka62792 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My TERROR is due to arriving DOA at E/R from a reaction to an antibiotic I was taking. I didn't want to listen to anyone, I refused to feel weak and I PAID ! I thank all of you for Excellent Advice. I will be out there tomorrow.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    aka62792 wrote: »
    I will be out there tomorrow.

That's great to hear. Keep at it and it will only get easier!
  • bookcase101
    bookcase101 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For me with anything that makes me anxious I have to push myself for my mind and body to realise that nothing bad is going to happen. How about tomorrow do the same and when the fear hits push on a little even if it's only another few minutes. After the extra time either go back home or if your anxiety is calming a little keep going. Each time you do it push a little more. Hope it goes well
  • aka62792
    Options
    Well, I took your advice and decided to walk up and down driveway. I thought if I near the house, the TERROR would be less. I did some stretching and I could feel my legs relaxing. Today was day 3 of doing this and I have one CONCERN. I get out of breath so quickly, IS THIS NORMAL ?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Well, I took your advice and decided to walk up and down driveway. I thought if I near the house, the TERROR would be less. I did some stretching and I could feel my legs relaxing. Today was day 3 of doing this and I have one CONCERN. I get out of breath so quickly, IS THIS NORMAL ?

I started walking at 233 lbs 5'4" and I was horridly out of breath and I don't have anxiety:). Just keep at it. I started walking 15 min and then would add 5-10 min as my breathing got easier. After a month 1/2 I was able to do a 5k.

I might also suggest the app map my fitness it was confidence boosting to see how far I walked.
  • aka62792
    Options
    Yes, I am completely Healthy, my Doctor is behind me all the way. I just got scared, when I was out of breath so fast. Watched the Carrie Fisher, Debbie Reynolds Special last night, Carrie was breathing like that and I got SCARED !
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am completely Healthy, my Doctor is behind me all the way. I just got scared, when I was out of breath so fast. Watched the Carrie Fisher, Debbie Reynolds Special last night, Carrie was breathing like that and I got SCARED !

If you are not used to the activity you will become more winded. If you are used to the activity then its probably your anxiety.

Deep breathing and talking yourself into positive thoughts to cram out the negative thoughts may help. It did for me.
  • aka62792
    Options
    I was an Athlete my entire life, I had a very bad reaction to a Prescribed Antibiotic and ended up at the E/R DOA in Total Renal Failure. After, I got lose from the Hospital I kept pushing and pushing and I REALLY HURT MYSELF. THEN I BECAME TERRIFIED TO DO ANYTHING. I have been inactive for awhile because of my fear of falling. So, my Husband and I are walking up and down the driveway, trying to keep my knees from locking. However, I am REALLY out of breath, BUT I LOST 8 POUNDS YAY YAY
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I was an Athlete my entire life, I had a very bad reaction to a Prescribed Antibiotic and ended up at the E/R DOA in Total Renal Failure. After, I got lose from the Hospital I kept pushing and pushing and I REALLY HURT MYSELF. THEN I BECAME TERRIFIED TO DO ANYTHING. I have been inactive for awhile because of my fear of falling. So, my Husband and I are walking up and down the driveway, trying to keep my knees from locking. However, I am REALLY out of breath, BUT I LOST 8 POUNDS YAY YAY

If you've been inactive for so long you've basically lost all conditioning so it's normal to be out of breath after even minor exertion. It's no big deal at all, it'll just take time to build back up.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    8 pounds! That's amazing! Like everyone else says, take it slow, but you are really doing phenomenally just getting out there and trying. A lot of people let their anxiety stop them from getting any physical exercise, so kudos to you for making it happen, even when it's tough. You've overcome a lot, and you deserve to get healthy at a pace that is comfortable for you!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think people are right that it is the exertion, or anxiety or a combination of both. Good thing is, the treatment for both is the same - keep at it, steady as she goes.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a really sweet, supportive husband. :)
  • aka62792
    Options
    He is Wonderful, he is the BEST Husband in the world. Well, he does have some faults, nothing dramatic ❤️