Plank exercise entry

I know planks are a very common exercise but they are not on the list. How would I add them? They are done by time and not by a number of reps so I'm not sure how to add it. Plus I would like to be able to know the calorie burn. Any help??

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    Planks don't burn that many calories. Since the move is basically isometric, you'll increase some strength and muscle endurance, but let's just say doing a plank for a minute might burn like 5 calories at most.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    I don't count planks but include doing them right before my final stretching/cool down. This isn't counted either.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I like to keep track, but as @ninerbuff says, they don't really burn calories and are therefore best under Strength Training if you want to track. Here's what I do:

Under Strength Training:
    Enter sets as sets and use seconds for "reps"
    *I might have needed to "Create" the exercise before the first time... that was a really long time ago, so I don't remember for sure.

Example: 2 sets of 1 min. (60 seconds) each would be entered as 2 sets of 60.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I enter them as a Strength Exercise, with the number of Sets being the sets (duh), the Reps/Set being the time (in seconds) I hold them, and any weight (if I use the weighted bar) as Weight/Set. As mentioned, they really don't burn substantial calories.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 847 Member
    They're under 'Plank hold' in the Exercise section. They don't burn many calories but it's set up by time if you want to make a note of them for your PR's. I personally just consider them a part of my warm-up/cooldown or a bit of extra activity throughout the day :)