How do you track fat loss?

Options
I know people say not to go by the scale, so I was wondering if anyone could offer some ways to track fat loss and know my hard work is producing results. Thank you!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I do monthly tape measurements (8 parts), monthly photos, monthly calipers and weekly body weight scale.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I use the Happy Scale app.

I log my weight every morning before breakfast, and it gives me graphs that let me see the general trend over time.

I've been using it since May 2015, and it's seen me through 80 lbs of weight loss, and 8 months of maintaining my goal weight.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I do monthly tape measurements (8 parts), monthly photos, monthly calipers and weekly body weight scale.

Curious about this : how do you do the calipers ? Do you have your own? Or at a gym? I want to start measuring fat % but I don't belong to a gym and I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm wondering if I can just buy calipers myself bit I hear it's a little tricky using them accurately?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I go by measurements, the mirror and progress photos.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Best way IMO..................your clothing. The baggier it gets, then likely you're losing body fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Tape measurement + calipers personally.
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Curious about this : how do you do the calipers ? Do you have your own? Or at a gym? I want to start measuring fat % but I don't belong to a gym and I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm wondering if I can just buy calipers myself bit I hear it's a little tricky using them accurately?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/how-to-measure-your-body-fat.html

Here is a good article around the sites to measure
  • CajunCher2005
    CajunCher2005 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Weigh. If you weigh less, you've lost fat.
  • Sheks41191
    Sheks41191 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    @CajunCher2005 That statement is incorrect, you could have lost water or muscle mass. Which is why some people end up skinny fat - i.e. bmi in a normal range but appear pudgy.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    It just depends on personal preference. I've been a daily weigher for several years now and it works well for me. Others prefer to take measurements or go by how their clothes fit.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Weigh. If you weigh less, you've lost fat.

Not always. I mean, yes...but I have also stayed the same weight for six months and dropped a dress size (same style from the same brand so I would say that's a reliable measure) so it's not the best indicator.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    My dietician has a scale that measures fat mass vs water weight and total weight. So, I go to her. Weight is a fluctuating thing, and it helps knowing everything that's going on. Sometimes I didn't lost a pound on the scale, but that when her scale shows I have lost fat and am retaining water.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I use the electrical impedance fat inference feature of my scale. I check it every month or two. It has been showing my body fat percentage as high as 40% last February to 19% in November. Even discounting the inaccuracy of the method, it's showing me that I've lost about half my body fat, which makes sense with an 81 lb loss.
    Another thing it shows me is that my body muscle percentage is increasing while the body fat percentage and weight is decreasing, so that's a good thing.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Pictures. Hands down the best way. Take a picture every 2 weeks, same day, same time, same place, same pose. For example, every Saturday morning as soon as you wake up under the same lighting.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    My dietician has a scale that measures fat mass vs water weight and total weight. So, I go to her. Weight is a fluctuating thing, and it helps knowing everything that's going on. Sometimes I didn't lost a pound on the scale, but that when her scale shows I have lost fat and am retaining water.

Unfortunately those scales are not accurate and have a high variance.

In my opinion; scales, tape measure and photos are your best bet!
  • daz2270
    daz2270 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I use my scales as a rough guide and take a photo each month - if I see more abs I'm losing BF!