Want to lose 30 lbs by end of Feb

Options
Hi all,

I currently weigh 200 lbs and am 5 ft 4.75 in. Since December I have lost about 10 lbs but my progress seems slow. I first decided to try the ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting. They helped but I am a sicker for sugar and carbs and not a big fan of fat. So I decided to switch into a calorie deficient diet. I aim to eat about 800 calories but usually am over it some days into the 1200 calories. I know in weight loss we have to be patient but when I don't see a change in my weight on the scale for 2 days in a row I feel discouraged. Do you guys think I am on the right path?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No. Your diet plan is stupid and unhealthy.

Eat sensibly in a moderate deficit and be patient.
  • natashab61
    natashab61 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sorry I am new to this so in follow up why is going below 1200 calories considered unhealthy/bad?
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    http://www.bmrcalculator.org/

BMR is the amount of calories a person burns just living. For me it's about 1330. Just to live and breath. So anything less, especially drastically less doesn't give your body the energy it needs. Unless directed by a doctor, the best recommendation I have it to let this site direct you on a calorie goal.
  • natashab61
    natashab61 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Is it better to be consistent with the calories you eat each day or a moderate fluctuation ok?
  • Stella3838
    Options
    I'd recommend staying fairly consistent. If you workout particularly hard in a day, you might want to add an extra snack, but overall MFP gives reasonable targets and if you're consistent with exercise and creating that calorie deficit, you should see results.
  • Stella3838
    Options
    Anything that low calorie for an extended period really should be done at the direction of a physician. I think that particular diet is usually used for folks with diabetes.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    800 is waaaaay to low. Please find a nutritionist in your area to talk to. They can help you set up a realistic goal and food plan.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »
    I'd recommend staying fairly consistent. If you workout particularly hard in a day, you might want to add an extra snack, but overall MFP gives reasonable targets and if you're consistent with exercise and creating that calorie deficit, you should see results.

With that said, some fluctuation is okay. Don't get discouraged if you go a little (or a lot) over one day, or if you're a little under one day.

• DancesWithDogz
    DancesWithDogz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Stop with the fad diets - eat properly - vegetables, fruits, whole grains and YES your body "needs" carbs. Realistic loss is 1 lb per week. Speak to a nutritionist.. there are no magic pills, or potions... stop killing yourself.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Nope. Unsafe. Unsustainable. Is there anything anyone can say to make you rethink this?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    natashab61 wrote: »
    Sorry I am new to this so in follow up why is going below 1200 calories considered unhealthy/bad?

Nutritional minimums. You have macros - protein, fat, and carbs & micronutrients - vitamins and minerals. Very low calorie diets (are not for everyone) and should be medically supervised. A Dr. would prescribe special shakes, and supplements to get your daily requirements in.