How much water weight can you gain from soup?!?

Options
I had about 3 large bowls of Pho soup yesterday (without the noodles) and I gained 4 pounds this week. I have been indulging just a little bit, but nothing crazy over maintenance otherwise. That's a lot of water weight!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sodium, more carbs than usual while indulging this week, perhaps hydration or lack there of and also consider female hormonal fluctuations.. Also are you exercising as well?

Lots of factors to consider, so it can be quite normal to see a 4-5 pound fluctuation on the scale.
  • acmorris77
    acmorris77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have been eating carbs, but I haven't done much over indulging. Maybe on the vino :) I think working out would help, but I didn't workout while losing weight. I need to start now to get strong while I'm in maintenance. I'm guessing half of the weight is water, the other half wine and cheese!
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I would up your water intake. Pho is fantastic, but as the poster above said, there's a ton of sodium in there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Pho is awesome...it's also a sodium bomb...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    acmorris77 wrote: »
    I had about 3 large bowls of Pho soup yesterday (without the noodles) and I gained 4 pounds this week. I have been indulging just a little bit, but nothing crazy over maintenance otherwise. That's a lot of water weight!
    I ALWAYS gain weight after Pho day! Like 2-3lbs shows up the next day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Pho is awesome...it's also a sodium bomb...
    Thought you might like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYnW8K3rlqw

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • acmorris77
    acmorris77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff
    Ha, Ha!! That's How if felt when I first tried it!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Four pounds is not out of the ordinary for a very high sodium day. It takes me 3-4 days to get my weight back to normal. Also, drinking water is helpful to fight the bloat (although counterintuitive).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    As has been mentioned by everyone else, you would have consumed a ridiculous amount of sodium in that meal, so a few pounds of water retention weight is pretty much expected. (in fact, most soups are really, really high in salt).