Youtube video - CICO for women?

Options
I think my wife is starting to notice that I'm doing OK with the weight loss and is making a start with logging foods.
She still keeps looking at pre-packaged meals/juicing etc and is obsessed with the quick fix.
I've showed her a couple of youtube videos from people I follow that explain that CICO really works, but as they're from a male perspective, and more for building a strong physique as well as dropping fat, I don't think she can really relate to them as easily.

Any recommendations for a simple, short, youtube video that drives it home from a female perspective?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,229 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a woman ... it was the logic of CI<CO that convinced me the first time I became aware of it, the first time I dieted, more than 30 years ago. I've never used any other method to lose weight. It just makes sense and worked.
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    How about showing her some of the success stories of women here on MFP? Maybe sift through them and choose a few beforehand. Like a pp said, small, respectful, and simple hints here and there can plant seeds for the future.
  • AriesAsunder
    AriesAsunder Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't know what to say about it other than it's just basic biology and physics. We measure energy consumption in the form of calories. When we consume energy, we either use it to power our body (ensure our organs are functioning, give us energy to move, etc) or store it as fat. If you use more energy than you consume, you need to power your body from somewhere else, so your body uses fat stores to do that, therefore you lose weight. It's not really gendered in any way.
    Bear in mind, calorie counting isn't for everyone. I mean, it's effective for weight loss, but some people become obsessive and it can be unhealthy. Some people just see it as an excuse to eat whatever they want as long as it's within their calories, even if it means eating nothing but junk. It's more important she's getting her necessary nutrients and eating a generally well balanced diet. I've known plenty of people who lose weight and become healthier just by following the Canadian food guide and never count anything beyond that.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    suzievv wrote: »
    How about showing her some of the success stories of women here on MFP? Maybe sift through them and choose a few beforehand. Like a pp said, small, respectful, and simple hints here and there can plant seeds for the future.

I agree with this. The success stories here inspires me to keep going. I was obsessed with quick fixes as well for years. I must of bought several types of diet pills thinking that they would help but when I didn't see any change I gave up taking them and threw them away. What a waste of money.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, appreciate all the good sense!
    It seems like pure logic to me, but I know we all work very differently.
    Thanks for the video VF, very impressive transformation!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    Options
    To be serious for a moment, what you're looking for is not a female perspective. There is no one "female perspective". As an engineer, basic CICO makes the most sense to me, as it does to you, and to many others regardless of gender. But for other people, there may be another way of looking at it that is more helpful (without denying the basic facts). You need a perspective that suits your wife's way of thinking, whatever that is. It's not about her gender, it's about how she, as an individual, thinks.

Which of course makes it trickier. I agree that she might find success stories enlightening - a lot of people respond better to narrative than to bare bones theory.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    CICO doesn't work for women. We are fuelled largely by mystique and glamour.

and doughnuts and Prosecco....

Also chocolate. But it's not the calories that make us fat. The inherent voluptuousness is transferred directly to our behinds.

And caffeine. Lots of caffeine.
    To be serious for a moment, what you're looking for is not a female perspective. There is no one "female perspective". As an engineer, basic CICO makes the most sense to me, as it does to you, and to many others regardless of gender. But for other people, there may be another way of looking at it that is more helpful (without denying the basic facts). You need a perspective that suits your wife's way of thinking, whatever that is. It's not about her gender, it's about how she, as an individual, thinks.

Which of course makes it trickier. I agree that she might find success stories enlightening - a lot of people respond better to narrative than to bare bones theory.
    CICO is math. You're looking for female math?

Also, this. Why does she need a female perspective on a math problem? Maybe explain it to her, let her see that it's all math, and she won't worry that it's different for the two sexes.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I did a video about my progress so far and talk about calorie counting but that isn't the main crux of the thing I don't think. But feel free to look at it and see if it fits the bill. (I'm not trying to increase my views, I've never shared it here before and I did it months ago!).

7.25 minutes is where I get to the crux of how I did/do it and I only talk about it for not even a minute I don't think. Hmm. This gives me an idea for another video........

https://youtu.be/ui1_oppRbK4

LOVE your hair!!!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Just a different perspective...perhaps just continue on your path. Share what your learning but don't try to persuade.

Sometimes (especially a spouse) can be well intentioned however the translation comes across as "my spouse wants me to lose weight, he's pushing me" etc. which backfires in most cases.

Not saying that's the case here just sharing a thought.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Gender/sex does matter to some degree even though CICO is the same.

How many calories needed and expended is in part a matter of sex. Fluctuations caused by hormones is largely determined by sex. Expectations of body conformity are matters of gender.

And it's nice to hear from someone whose similarities you can relate to. I read all the time of people looking for friends of a certain gender, weight, place in the "journey." It's pretty common.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    I did a video about my progress so far and talk about calorie counting but that isn't the main crux of the thing I don't think. But feel free to look at it and see if it fits the bill. (I'm not trying to increase my views, I've never shared it here before and I did it months ago!).

7.25 minutes is where I get to the crux of how I did/do it and I only talk about it for not even a minute I don't think. Hmm. This gives me an idea for another video........

https://youtu.be/ui1_oppRbK4

LOVE your hair!!!

Thank you! It's very different again now, I bore easily.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    And it's nice to hear from someone whose similarities you can relate to. I read all the time of people looking for friends of a certain gender, weight, place in the "journey." It's pretty common.

This! I find the most inspiration from others that have similar stats and goals; losing 200 lbs is a totally different journey than trimming vanity pounds which is still different from a recomp.

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    Options

How many calories needed and expended is in part a matter of sex. Fluctuations caused by hormones is largely determined by sex. Expectations of body conformity are matters of gender.

These are good points, I have to admit.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options

These are good points, I have to admit.

:) Plus glamour, chocolate, and CHEESE.