adding muscle mass

Options
Ruder94
Ruder94 Posts: 24 Member
Im trying to add 10 to 15 lbs of muscle. Im 47yrs old in decent shape, 7nd pretty active any suggestion would be great.

Replies

• dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If you're looking at a timeline for your goal, I'd say 2 years. Less if you've never lifted weights before, or within the past few months.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to gain muscle too :-)

General idea is you need a calorie surplus, more calories in than out to build muscle. It is possible to gain it on a deficit but that's really only if you still have alot of fat left to lose, or if you are very new to weight lifting - after that you will have to start upping the cals to see results. I'm on 2400 a day (before exercise) at the moment and try to eat back all my exercise cals. My maintenance is 2060 so not a huge deficit, I'm seeing results in strength and a little so far in muscle (I measure BF% every few weeks) I try to eat as clean as I can, and healthy foods to minimise fat gain.

For a time frame, I read (a link on bodybuilding.com I think) that the typical male can expect to gain 2lbs of pure muscle a month for the first year, 1lb a month after that, with the proper nutrition and adequate amount of strength training. A female can expect half of that, so 1lb a month for the first year, 1/2lb after that.

Hope that helps :-)

Heidi
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to gain muscle too :-)

General idea is you need a calorie surplus, more calories in than out to build muscle. It is possible to gain it on a deficit but that's really only if you still have alot of fat left to lose, or if you are very new to weight lifting - after that you will have to start upping the cals to see results. I'm on 2400 a day (before exercise) at the moment and try to eat back all my exercise cals. My maintenance is 2060 so not a huge deficit, I'm seeing results in strength and a little so far in muscle (I measure BF% every few weeks) I try to eat as clean as I can, and healthy foods to minimise fat gain.

For a time frame, I read (a link on bodybuilding.com I think) that the typical male can expect to gain 2lbs of pure muscle a month for the first year, 1lb a month after that, with the proper nutrition and adequate amount of strength training. A female can expect half of that, so 1lb a month for the first year, 1/2lb after that.

Hope that helps :-)

Heidi

I'd say this is more accurate than what I said. I was thinking of a male when I gave you a timeline. Women produce less testosterone, so it'll be a slower process.
  • spencer72
    spencer72 Posts: 18
    Options
    Don't be afraid to lift weights! Some women think that just because they step into the weight room they are going to leave looking like a bodybuilder. Lifting weights adds muscles, muscles are what tone you up.

Eating a high protein diet filled with HEALTHY carbs ( think brown rice and sweet potatoes not potato chips and candy) combined with any weight training plan will add muscle mass.

Focus on compound movements to build muscle mass. squats, deadlifts, bench press, and rows are the go-to moves for basic, full body muscle building. Add in lunges to work the butt and some cardio for a good calorie burn and you'll have a rockin bod!

Good luck.