Yes or No to alcohol?

Options
Is this a diet sabotager? And if any is allowed which is best?

Replies

• Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I make it fit within my calories for the day. Beer has the most calories, hard liquor the fewest. All depends on what you like to drink.
  • Miz_T
    Miz_T Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    As one who subscribes to IIFMM, I make it work. I've lost...and gained on alcohol. Just watch your intake.
  • raishiwi
    raishiwi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just drink on my cheat day. If you are drinking within your calorie limit on a normal day, it will slow your weight loss. Alchohol is a different macros from Carbs/Fats/Proteins altogether, and while Alcohol is metabolizing you won't metabolize other sugars efficiently.
  • VodkaAddictx
    VodkaAddictx Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Miz_T wrote: »
    As one who subscribes to IIFMM, I make it work. I've lost...and gained on alcohol. Just watch your intake.

What is llFMM x
  • VodkaAddictx
    Options
    I make it fit within my calories for the day. Beer has the most calories, hard liquor the fewest. All depends on what you like to drink.

Good job I like spirits then
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    I drink several beers every night and have managed to loose over 30 pounds.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight, I still drank alcohol, but not as much as I was prior...it's a lot of calories and regular drinking required me to limit actual nutrition so I just cut back and kept it mostly to the weekends with maybe a couple glasses of wine mid week.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,011 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I drink alcohol occasionally. As long as it fits in your calorie goal it is fine. Some people have trouble moderating their alcohol use or trouble controlling their eating when they drink. If this is a problem for you you may be better off not drinking alcohol. But in and of itself drinking alcohol is fine. I prefer vodka with club soda and lime or light beer. But whatever works for you and fits your goals is fine.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Conversely, I don't drink except on special occasions, and am fat, so.. :P
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I did cut back a bit but I also found out I can still drink if I increased my activity. I settled in at 30+ miles a week, hey I love my booze.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    i drink 4-5 days a week and have not had any issues when i was losing weight.i have maintained for 3-4 years now.
  • VodkaAddictx
    Options
    My biggest downfall!!!
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Just remember that alcohol contains 7kcal/g + carbs and whatnot in the drink.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Just for losing weight sure if you count the calories and stay in a deficit. If your body building it could make it more difficult during a cut when protein isn't being metabolized because the liver is trying to clean up the alcohol in your body
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    Also remember that when alcohol is in the body, it CANNOT be stored. So it has to be metabolized. During this time NO OTHER ENERGY SOURCE is being utilized till that happens. So you burn no carbs or fats. That's why it's not a good idea to have alcohol before bed because you will inhibit burning fat when you sleep. And that's when the most fat is burned.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I give up drinking whenever I am losing weight. For me I would just rather "spend" those calories on sweets :)
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    If it's something that makes you eat (e.g. I tend to want to eat after I drink beer. It's not a scientific thing, just a behavioral trigger), consider limiting it. Obviously, if you have health issues or medication interaction issues or addiction issues, behave accordingly.

Otherwise, just log it.

This would be my take. I don't drink anymore, but when I did it almost always meant eating quite a bit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've lost plenty of weight when still drinking to excess, it's really all about calories. I've also gained weight when drinking and lost and gained when not drinking.

I don't drink now (related to the "to excess" bit) so have different extra/indulgent/just for fun sources of calories in my diet instead, but if you want to have a moderate amount in your diet you can certainly fit that in while keeping a deficit and meeting nutritional goals.