Trouble in the Kitchen

Options
kellylynnshonting
kellylynnshonting Posts: 108 Member
Hey everyone! I am new to the MFP community. I was hoping I could pick y'all's brain for some pointer on nutrition/recipes.

I have struggled with my weight throughout my life and have been on countless yo-yo diets with no avail. My biggest struggle with food has been sugar. I have kicked the habit (22 days today of being sugar free), but I still consume more carbs than I need and not a lot of veggies. I am at the point where I want to begin cooking with them, but don't exactly know where to start. They haven't ever been anything I have ever cooked with before nor did I grow up in a home that cooked them.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Why not start with a couple of bags/boxes of frozen veggies that you can microwave. I might suggest spinach, italian-cut green beans, and maybe something like a "California blend" with broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.

Use the package directions (which is basically just to heat them up!) to find out what you like. You can always add salt, pepper, salsa, soy sauce, etc. after they're heated to experiment with flavorings and condiments (although avoid the smother-it-with-cheese route. . . since that's usually not very calorie friendly).

Once you've identified a few veggies that you like-- even just one or two-- I would then look up recipes at either Epicurious.com or Alton Brown on Food Network cooks them (both are good sources for straightforward explanations that don't insult your intelligence).

Many basic veggies can be cut into bite-sized chunks (the frozen veggies are a good guide) and then simply steamed in a no-stick pan with the water used to wash them or by adding just a tiny bit more water.

I'm a big veggie eater, and can help more after you've identified a couple of basics that you think you can eat!
  • highrollercici
    highrollercici Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I am new to the MFP community. I was hoping I could pick y'all's brain for some pointer on nutrition/recipes.

I have struggled with my weight throughout my life and have been on countless yo-yo diets with no avail. My biggest struggle with food has been sugar. I have kicked the habit (22 days today of being sugar free), but I still consume more carbs than I need and not a lot of veggies. I am at the point where I want to begin cooking with them, but don't exactly know where to start. They haven't ever been anything I have ever cooked with before nor did I grow up in a home that cooked them.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

• highrollercici
    highrollercici Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would say first identify the vegetables you like, than google it, e.g. healthy SPINACH recipes.
  • kellylynnshonting
    Options
    @rosebarnalice and @highrollercici

Thank you much. That is actually very helpful. I think what is intimidating me is the whole 'once I get them home, what am I supposed to do with them?' Right now, I know I like carrots, zucchini, yellow and butternut squash, sweet potatoes, corn. I am not a fan of broccoli, but a woman can learn.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    the steam fresh bags of veggies are my go-to - quick and easy to make, add a little bit of salt and voila

if I have more time - roasted butternut squash or sweet potato - dice up, oven roast with a drizzle of olive oil and salt

grilled asparagus with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of paprika
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    when in doubt - oven roast with some salt and olive oil - can do that for close to all veggies (except maybe peas and they are the devil's off-spring)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    @rosebarnalice and @highrollercici

Thank you much. That is actually very helpful. I think what is intimidating me is the whole 'once I get them home, what am I supposed to do with them?' Right now, I know I like carrots, zucchini, yellow and butternut squash, sweet potatoes, corn. I am not a fan of broccoli, but a woman can learn.

While would still advocate the frozen veggie route for experimentation, given the veggies you've just listed, try this easy roasted veggie recipe:

Take one medium zucchini, one sweet potato, and maybe two full-sized carrots. Wash them, cut the nasty bits off the tops of the zucchini and carrots. Scrub the sweet potato with an abrasive cloth or sponge, but don't worry about completely removing all the skin--just get the dirt off!

Cut the carrots into rounds about as thick as your pinky finger, and then cut the sweet potato into pieces about the same size (so they cook at about the same rate.)

Toss the sweet potato and carrot pieces with a 2 tbsp of olive oil (cheap olive oil is fine) and sprinkle with some mixed italian seasoning (garlic powder, basil, and oregano) or your favorite spice blend. Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Now chop up the zucchini to be about the same size as the carrots and sweet potato and add to the sheet, tossing again to coat the zucchni with the spice and olive oil mixture. Bake another 20 minutes or so.

The veggies should have little crispy brown bits on them from roasting; the carrots should be soft but not mushy, and it should be easy to remove the skin from the sweet potato pieces as you eat them.

This is really nummy, and roasting is a great technique to use on cauliflower, onions, turnips, and leeks as well!
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    What kinds of food do you like to eat?
  • kellylynnshonting
    Options
    @deannalfisher I love that description of peas. I will have to remember that one. Thank you for your input.

@rosebarnalice I will have to try that recipe soon. Thank you for sharing.

@not_my_first_rodeo I like just about anything except oriental food.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    carrots, sweet potatoes and butternut squash - cube up, toss lightly with olive oil, paprika and a little garlic and roast in a 400° oven for about 20 - 30 minutes - they should get a little char and taste wonderful....at least that is what I would do with them - can do the same with cauliflower as well as other root vegetables. Roasting them can bring out great flavor
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    You can also add vegetables to your main food without having to make an extra dish. Eg: grate carrots into pasta sauces or add a can of peas to shepherds pie filling. Don't be afraid to experiment.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    @deannalfisher I love that description of peas. I will have to remember that one. Thank you for your input.

@rosebarnalice I will have to try that recipe soon. Thank you for sharing.

@not_my_first_rodeo I like just about anything except oriental food.

:huh: :o
  • Taraven87
    Taraven87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Roasted cauliflower is a really good carrier for other flavors, if you're not into the taste of vegetables. This is a great recipe to start with, and you can mix up the acid (use balsamic vinegar instead of lemon juice, etc...) and spices to suit your tastes and mix it up: https://www.acouplecooks.com/spiced-roasted-cauliflower/. An easy way to get more vegetables into your diet is to buy pre-prepped veggies you can steam in the bag; usually you can find haricots verts (thin green beans) in bags near the packaged salads in your grocery store, you cut off a corner and steam it. Add lemon juice and salt, and you've got an easy side dish. Another easy way to add veggies into your diet is to chop up something like zucchini and add it to a pasta sauce so you're eating less pasta; just saute it in olive oil with garlic and onion, then add a jar of sauce to the mixture and cook until it's heated through.
  • wgstephenshouse
    wgstephenshouse Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love baked seeey potatoes. A little butter and sprinkle garlic salt
  • wgstephenshouse
    wgstephenshouse Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That should be " sweet"
  • kellylynnshonting
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has shared some great ideas.

@Chef_Barbell that wasn't a slam or disrespect at all. It just honestly isn't my cup of tea (again no pun intended).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I toss veggies in a covered dish, throw in some lemon juice or balsamic vinegar or soy sauce, just a small splash of either, and nuke them for 2-4 min. That's for 2 servings. More would require longer time. This is quick, tasty, and adds few if any extra calories. This works with almost any veggie.
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    abuck_13 wrote: »
    carrots, sweet potatoes and butternut squash - cube up, toss lightly with olive oil, paprika and a little garlic and roast in a 400° oven for about 20 - 30 minutes - they should get a little char and taste wonderful....at least that is what I would do with them - can do the same with cauliflower as well as other root vegetables. Roasting them can bring out great flavor

Agree. Roasting is my favorite way to eat veggies!