Couch to 5k When You're Snowed In

Options
Mermaid_95
Mermaid_95 Posts: 5 Member
edited January 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
So I planned on going to the gym after I got off of work today but, surprise!, I am snowed in. I don't want to skip my C25K (I'm on Week 1, Day 3) and there's too much snow and ice to go to the gym/go for a run. I can't even get to work. I'd go tomorrow but I work during gym hours. Does anyone have any creative ideas for completing a day of C25K inside?

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Do other cardio - you will get the same benefit....
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Shovel snow... :D Do you have stairs? Up, down, up, down... I'll bet you can come up with something creative to get some cardio in. Good luck on your training!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Training should be flexible...

Find some other form of cardio to do or have a rest day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone Walk at Home. Congrats on your dedication. Honestly, weather and snow happens and occasionally affects our plans, including workout plans. Great idea to build up an arsenal of alternatives for such events. Realize that 3 months from now you'll never know that you had to delay day 3 workout.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    won't be as fun - but you could run in place

but i second the idea of just doing another form of cardio - youtube has lots of good workouts
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Mermaid_95 wrote: »
    So I planned on going to the gym after I got off of work today but, surprise!, I am snowed in. I don't want to skip my C25K (I'm on Week 1, Day 3) and there's too much snow and ice to go to the gym/go for a run. I can't even get to work. I'd go tomorrow but I work during gym hours. Does anyone have any creative ideas for completing a day of C25K inside?

I feel your pain. It's not so much the snow for me although I have 2-3 feet of that, but the ongoing sub zero temps. Fortunately, I have a treadmill AND a snow shovel. If you can't find an alternative plan for cardio indoors, just remember this may be a temporary setback. Pick up where you left off when you can get outdoors or to the gym. Or start over.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    On holiday if I'm not comfortable running alone, I make a wee circuit in room and jog with small steps in circles, but lift legs higher than outside, ie jumping slightly more, and add stairs if there are any. Monotonous, but keeps the same muscles going short term. I just do it about 20 mins, then do something else.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I do it on the treadmill, shovel my way out, or run around my basement.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    With C25K you are not running everyday, so why not just rearrange your schedule to make this a non-running day? If you are feeling anxious about being cooped up and not working out, you can always do yoga, body weight exercises or, as others have suggested, any number of fitness videos available on youtube. Plyometrics offer a good cardio workout, but I would be careful not to overdo it if you are not used to it.
  • Mermaid_95
    Mermaid_95 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Mermaid_95 wrote: »
    I don't want to skip my C25K (I'm on Week 1, Day 3)

Congratulations on starting C25K and welcome to the world of running.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Awesome for you being motivated!! Thumbs down for the road bump. Shoveling snow is an amazing workout, if that's not an option I would personally do body weight exercises and I would make sure that it was enough that I would feel it a little the next day that way I would feel like I didn't miss my workout. I get unmotivated if I skip a day so I have to convince myself I didn't let myself down. Good luck!
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I had the same dilemma, I'm week 2 day 3, so I ran and walked around my couches in the living room until I completed the thirty minutes. It may seem crazy but I sweated and completed it.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The real feel high temp today was 4. I only run outside. No treadmill and no gym memebership. I didn't even give my dogs a proper walk today, so definitely not running. No biggie, I'll just run the next time I can, which, unfortunately, looks to be Tuesday. I did a big, tough yoga practice instead, and may squeeze in some more later.