32 mile ultra marathon & no desire to eat

Options
Ran a 32 mile ultra marathon yesterday. Even though I ran off 4000 calories, I didn't feel like eating much. When I do these extreme distances, I sometimes just can't eat. Too much stress on the body, I'm assuming!! Today I could eat the world!! Does anyone who does endurance events have this problem?

Replies

• RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I have never ran that far but when I run 13-18 mile runs I don't have an appetite either and sometimes it takes up to two days but then my hunger kicks back in full force...I was just talking about this the other day, at first it scared me and I thought something might be wrong but everyone I talk to says they do the same thing so I'm assuming its normal.
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your ultra marathon. I can't even imagine running that far!! :)
  • mrrodriguez
    mrrodriguez Posts: 158
    Options
    bump
  • bassettpig
    bassettpig Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Good job on the ultra!

I don't think it's unusual to have a disruption in your normal appetite at this time. If you go to some of the running forums (Runner's World, etc.) you'll see others with this same situation.

I have run several marathons and two 50K (31 miles) runs and my experience has been that, particularly if it's a warmish day and/or I have made a hard effort (as opposed to going out just shooting to finish and have some fun along the way), it will take a couple of days for my appetite to fully return. No harm done. Your body is just recovering.

However, if you're actually nauseated and unable to eat enough to start your recovery, look into something like Boost or Ensure for an easy way to take in some calories and get yourself going again. (For myself, I find beer and pizza works pretty well...!)
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    Congratulations on the ultra run...woohoo I am very inspired
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    After my 1/2IMs I'd be like that. I force myself to eat since I know my body is weak and needs nutrition to mend itself. A big ol cheeseburger, home fries, and milkshake always puts me in a great mood. :-)

Congrats on the finish!
  • MountainMaggie
    MountainMaggie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have never run a full (yet), but have noticed that the more I run, after my longest runs I have no appetite even though a 5-6 miler will make me want to eat everything in sight. Sometimes I am much hungrier the next day or even two days after. My hypothesis is that pushing your body to extreme lengths triggers a phisiological or even psychological "survival mode," where your brain/body thinks it's going to have to acheive more with less fuel. I totally made that up, but it would be a good research paper for someone.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    totally normal. Especially in hot weather. I tend to eat the same amount of calories every day, rather than just 'eat back' what I have earned...or make it a weekly total. That way I can fuel up for a long run, and let my body get out of shock after without under-eating. I too find that after a long race I have no appetite. Its had to choke down a protein bar or shake. But give it 12 hours and I can eat again.

Congrats on the ultra!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the ultra! I have never run ANYWHERE near as far as you, but running for over an hour tends to put me off food for a good 5-6 hours afterwards, regardless of what I ate before and when my usual meal time would next be, and a short one makes me immediately peckish. So I would not be surprised if very, very long runs had an amplified effect. I'd just eat more the day after if I was you and that was when I felt hungry; I assume you are definitely not trying to operate on a huge calorie deficit with that kind of exercise.