Whole Food Recipes for 2017!

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what is unclean about salt.

Some people need to reduce their salt intake, and "clean eating" has been part of how they do that. Many people don't need to monitor their salt intake. If you don't need to, then don't worry about it. There are whole books about added salts and entire panel discussions on whether or not it's beneficial. But if you don't need to worry about salt, then don't worry about it.

It's an essential electrolyte...not getting enough salt is as bad, if not worse as overdoing it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what is unclean about salt.

Some people need to reduce their salt intake, and "clean eating" has been part of how they do that. Many people don't need to monitor their salt intake. If you don't need to, then don't worry about it. There are whole books about added salts and entire panel discussions on whether or not it's beneficial. But if you don't need to worry about salt, then don't worry about it.

This is precisely why some people take such issue with the term "clean eating" because it has such a variable definition for so many people. If someone is on a reduced sodium diet for medical reasons they surely know how to modify recipes accordingly, and saying that removing the salt makes this "extra clean" would be something I can see as misleading for all these people thinking that one has to "eat clean" in order to be successful.

I'm always a fan of sharing recipes though, I get a lot of mine from skinnytaste.com or Pinterest, but I also use processed/convenience foods often to supplement my overall diet or certain meals. Tonight we are having grilled salmon with a bottled marinade, grilled asparagus, and rice. Most of that won't fit the definition of clean, Whole Foods, so I will wait to share some recipes till later.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I cook a lot...pretty much everything I cook comes from scratch, whole ingredients or minimally processed ingredients (like a can of crushed tomatoes, etc)...I would think most actual recipes you would find most anywhere would be comprised mostly of whole foods. I get most of my stuff from Pinterest.
    wowmanacat wrote: »
    I try to cook with whole food and I am working at getting better at it. I do use canned beans and frozen veggies a lot since there are only two of us here.

To my thinking, those are "minimally processed" foods and 100% welcome in anything but a "detox" diet.

Detox? And why on earth couldn't you eat frozen vegetables on a detox...they actually contain more nutrients than fresh.

I don't know, man. This is the conversation I wanted to avoid. What do *you* like to cook?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    My first one's a dessert, but healthy life needs dessert sometimes, too.

Clean Berry Parfait (also GF and Vegan)
    • 1 tsp(s), Vanilla extract
    • ¼ agave syrup
    • 1 can Coconut Cream
    • Juice of ½ Lemon
    • 4 cups berries

Refrigerate the coconut cream (or full-fat coconut milk) overnight, sitting in the bowl that you’re going to make whipped cream in (so it’s cold, too). Begin whipping coconut cream, slowly adding agave syrup, then vanilla, until peaks form. You have whipped cream.
    Wash your berries and squeeze lemon juice over them. Take parfait cups (or pint glasses) and put alternating layers of berries and coconut whipped cream in them. Garnish with cocoa (cacao) powder, if desired.

How is agave "clean"?

And eating more whole foods naturally reduces your salt intake - most people would need to add salt to their diet to maintain proper balance in their body, it's not a clean/dirty ingredient
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Following!! I'll be back to add more but I looooove a simple chicken or turkey soup with bone or regular broth and lots of veggies especially baby carrots and mushrooms!! I almost never get tired of it, it's easy and makes you feel like you're eating alot!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My first one's a dessert, but healthy life needs dessert sometimes, too.

Clean Berry Parfait (also GF and Vegan)
    • 1 tsp(s), Vanilla extract
    • ¼ agave syrup
    • 1 can Coconut Cream
    • Juice of ½ Lemon
    • 4 cups berries

Refrigerate the coconut cream (or full-fat coconut milk) overnight, sitting in the bowl that you’re going to make whipped cream in (so it’s cold, too). Begin whipping coconut cream, slowly adding agave syrup, then vanilla, until peaks form. You have whipped cream.
    Wash your berries and squeeze lemon juice over them. Take parfait cups (or pint glasses) and put alternating layers of berries and coconut whipped cream in them. Garnish with cocoa (cacao) powder, if desired.

How is agave "clean"?

And eating more whole foods naturally reduces your salt intake - most people would need to add salt to their diet to maintain proper balance in their body, it's not a clean/dirty ingredient

Yeah, I make most of my meals from whole foods. Unless I'm adding soy sauce or hot sauce to my meals, adding some salt when I cook is crucial for my health.

I guess I understand a note on the recipe saying "Omit if limiting salt intake," but the note was more like "Omit to be really clean," which I still don't understand. If some people need to limit salt for health reasons, that doesn't make salt dirty for the rest of us especially when foods like agave aren't noted at all.
  • RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't know, man. This is the conversation I wanted to avoid. What do *you* like to cook?

OP, I'm only reading and I feel your pain. :Do:)
  • ChristieisReady
    edited January 2017
    Options
    How is agave "clean"?

Is your agave dirty?
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    I guess I understand a note on the recipe saying "Omit if limiting salt intake," but the note was more like "Omit to be really clean," which I still don't understand. If some people need to limit salt for health reasons, that doesn't make salt dirty for the rest of us especially when foods like agave aren't noted at all.

Well, when I write the cookbook I never am going to write, I'll keep that in mind. You don't like the recipe? Share a better one. TEACH, don't preach.

• MsMiddleJ
    MsMiddleJ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First time to the message boards and this topic caught my eye. One request: Could submissions include number of servings, total calories, etc... much as we would do if creating our own recipes for use within our food diary?
    Roasted Broccoli
    • 1 Tbsp, Lemon zest
    • 1 lemon yields, Lemon juice - Raw
    • 4 clove, Garlic - Raw
    • 4 tsp, Parmesan Cheese
    • 1 tbsp olive oil
    • 6 cup, chopped, Broccoli – Raw
    Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil. Clean, DRY and chop broccoli. Put on baking sheet. Grate the zest from 1 lemon over broccoli. Finely chop 4 cloves garlic. Toss with broccoli, shredded parmesan cheese, and olive oil. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the tops are crispy.

Other roasted green vegetables:
    Brussels Sprouts: Omit lemon zest and juice, garlic, and parmesan. Use salt and pepper only.
    Green beans: Omit Parmesan and garlic. Add cumin and ground oregano. (~1 tsp each)

• janejellyroll
    edited January 2017
    Options

Well, when I write the cookbook I never am going to write, I'll keep that in mind. You don't like the recipe? Share a better one. TEACH, don't preach.

I have no idea what the recipes I eat you would consider acceptable for this thread -- that's why I'm trying to understand the standards you're judging by.

I'm not preaching -- I am confused.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I cook a lot...pretty much everything I cook comes from scratch, whole ingredients or minimally processed ingredients (like a can of crushed tomatoes, etc)...I would think most actual recipes you would find most anywhere would be comprised mostly of whole foods. I get most of my stuff from Pinterest.
    wowmanacat wrote: »
    I try to cook with whole food and I am working at getting better at it. I do use canned beans and frozen veggies a lot since there are only two of us here.

To my thinking, those are "minimally processed" foods and 100% welcome in anything but a "detox" diet.

Detox? And why on earth couldn't you eat frozen vegetables on a detox...they actually contain more nutrients than fresh.

But you're the one who brought it up...
  • janejellyroll
    Options

When I entered this thread, I didn't think *salt* was dirty.
  • ChristieisReady
    edited January 2017
    Options

Just share your favorite, produce and lean-meat filled recipes that don't rely on pre-made foods. I'm not going to jump all over you for not being "clean" enough. Did you READ the initial post? Share recipes or actual input, or hush.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Just share your favorite, produce and lean-meat filled recipes that don't rely on pre-made foods. I'm not going to jump all over you for not being "clean" enough. Did you READ the initial post? Share recipes or actual input, or hush.

I thought I was giving input, I just wanted to understand what you were seeking. Clearly that isn't welcome, so good luck with your search for recipes.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    How is agave "clean"?

Is your agave dirty?

I'm not the one labelling food. How is agave clean by your standards?

All my food is clean - I wash it before I prepare it.
  • kaydotklaxon
    kaydotklaxon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This !!!
    I love it so much and it's so easy to make ! We marinated the chicken in lemon juice and pepper for about two hours so it wouldn't be dry.

Here's the link to the recipe: https://www.buzzfeed.com/robertbroadfoot/stop-what-youre-doing-and-go-make-this-one-pan-autumn-chicke?utm_term=.jgpEjDQLlV#.xnYV28Q79j

gjmvz9tc67uo.jpg
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    This !!!
    I love it so much and it's so easy to make ! We marinated the chicken in lemon juice and pepper for about two hours so it wouldn't be dry.

Here's the link to the recipe: https://www.buzzfeed.com/robertbroadfoot/stop-what-youre-doing-and-go-make-this-one-pan-autumn-chicke?utm_term=.jgpEjDQLlV#.xnYV28Q79j

gjmvz9tc67uo.jpg

Wow! Thanks for sharing!

emma-stone-yum-gif.gif
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    http://cookieandkate.com/2016/vegetarian-enchiladas-recipe/

60v4dpm0t8fm.jpg

This is a good and super easy recipe, tons of veggies, delicious. I've modified it a little to better suit my tastes though (I omit the cinnamon and replace it with a teaspoon of chili powder). And I topped it with plain Greek yogurt for a little protein boost.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    To much work.