Just got a new crock pot!!!!

clyn90
clyn90 Posts: 45 Member
So my old crock pot never worked right. It would fully cook 4 FROZEN chicken breasts in 4 hours on low. I never used it because well it was not really a set and forget kind of thing. I just got a new one for Christmas and I can not wait to use it. It can be programmed to turn down to warm but I would still need recipes that take 7-8 hours to cook because that is how long I am gone during the day. Give me your favorites please and thank you!!!!

Replies

• I love my crock pot! Check out "Fix it and Forget it Cookbook" Ton's of great recipes. I try to avoid the ones made with any "cream of" soups, or make them with my own version made healthier.
  • tala2118
    tala2118 Posts: 8 Member
    LOVE my crockpot!

I'd recommend the book "The New Slow Cooker" - great recipes!

Here's one of my online favorites - it freezes really well too: http://www.thekitchn.com/slow-cooker-recipe-curried-vegetable-and-chickpea-stew-67520
  • simplystacey2
    simplystacey2 Posts: 1 Member
    http://healthyslowcooking.com/slow-cooker-vegan-bolognese/
    This recipe is amazing. All veggies, but tastes like a hearty meatsauce. I put it on everything.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    we've been using the slow cooker liner bags this season. makes the cleanup a snap. haven't tried our immersion blender with a bag yet, i think that'd be problematic (might need to transfer the cooked food [soup, for instance] to another bowl/pot, blend it, then back to the crockpot for staying warm? hmmm). i'm also trusting the plastic isn't leeching into the food, that's my major concern (online research tends to say "not to worry").
  • showerbeer182
    showerbeer182 Posts: 798 Member
    Ooooooh I love doing a huge turkey breast and then just dump in some onion soup mix and set it...and forget it...and in like 6 hours...BOOM...super juicy yummy in your tummy turkey :)
  • ginmilgor
    ginmilgor Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2017
    I believe there is a "Fix It & Forget It Light" cookbook also. Good recipes.
  • InspiredNewJourney
    InspiredNewJourney Posts: 66 Member
    Love love love my crockpot!!! I am obsessed with the website skinnytaste.com and she just released a cookbook skinnytaste fast and slow full of slow cooker recipes
  • clyn90
    clyn90 Posts: 45 Member
    Thank you! I will have to check out the skinny taste one for sure. I love that website!
  • AntsyAngler
    AntsyAngler Posts: 58 Member
    I love my crock pots. My favorite crock dishes are chicken verde (just chicken breasts with green enchilada sauce and a can of chopped green chilies added), chili, soups, and chili con carne.
  • kharmon2013
    kharmon2013 Posts: 63 Member
    Chicken with Italian salad dressing, potatoes, carrots, and an onion. I've done a lot of different chicken dishes, soups, and pot roast. I use my crock pot 2-3 times a week.
  • Itsmeefrogee
    Itsmeefrogee Posts: 2 Member
    I bought a crockpot cookbook last year and I love it because it has minimal prep recipes. It's called dump meals 5 ingredients or less.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I just made pork chops with cream of chicken soup in my mini crock pot! They came out so tender. You can cook on low for 8 hours.
  • Never knew you could make so much in a crock pot. All these ideas/suggestions sound great!!
  • donaldhill68
    donaldhill68 Posts: 1 Member
    4 chicken Breasts
    1 Med Onion chopped
    1 Cn Black Beans, drained
    24 oz Jar Salsa (your choice hot med or mild)
    Sm Cn Whole Kernal Corn, drained
    Taco Seasoning Pkt
    Option: Green Chilis for added heat

I put Black Beans in first, then chopped onion. Chicken Breasts, taco seasoning, then Salsa, corn on top. Set on low and go to work!
    Come home and stir with a fork, shredding the chicken. Use hard or soft tortilla shells and your favorite toppings.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I like how it's so easy to count calories using a crockpot and this site,
    just throw the ingredients into a recipe and measure it out.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    edited February 2017
    We bought one only two weeks ago on a whim and I never thought I'd grow to love it as much as I do already!
    It's such a life saver on weekdays and it forced me to get out of the rut and dig up some new recipes as well.

Only problem is that we had to buy a freezer as, as the small fridge/freezer combo we had wasn't big enough! :D

I've made beef stew, shoulder of lamb, pulled pork. And I've freezer bags filled with curries, chicken stews, chilis. I could not believe the amount of websites available with recipes. Pinterest is a definite winner as well for this!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    we've been using the slow cooker liner bags this season. makes the cleanup a snap. haven't tried our immersion blender with a bag yet, i think that'd be problematic (might need to transfer the cooked food [soup, for instance] to another bowl/pot, blend it, then back to the crockpot for staying warm? hmmm). i'm also trusting the plastic isn't leeching into the food, that's my major concern (online research tends to say "not to worry").

I usually use the liners too except when doing soup.