Feeling intimidated at the gym

Options
2»

Replies

• omunoz2007
    omunoz2007 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    omunoz2007 wrote: »
    Rule number one...DO NOT compete with others. You need to remember that the regulars who go to the gym have not always looked as they do currently. They have reached their physique by grabbing the free weights. Gym rats are some of the most insecure people in the world. If they were so "secure" about themselves they wouldn't need to go to the gym everyday. Get over the fear/risk factor. Life is about taking risks. You will never get anywhere by playing it safe. DO NOT mind the people surrounding you. Stay focused and the best that you can be!

What is a gym rat.
    What is your concern if someone goes to the gym daily

• omunoz2007
    Options
    A gym rat is just a term for someone who goes to the gym on a basis. I have no concern at all if someone goes to the gym daily. I say, "do what you want to do." By the way, I'm a gym rat.
  • omunoz2007
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Rule number one...DO NOT compete with others. You need to remember that the regulars who go to the gym have not always looked as they do currently. They have reached their physique by grabbing the free weights. Gym rats are some of the most insecure people in the world. If they were so "secure" about themselves they wouldn't need to go to the gym everyday. Get over the fear/risk factor. Life is about taking risks. You will never get anywhere by playing it safe. DO NOT mind the people surrounding you. Stay focused and the best that you can be!

what?

are you serious?
    This is ridiculous and way to broad brush that it can't possibly be true.

Everyone's got issues- my issues aren't other peoples issues. Their issues aren't my issues- but saying everyone's insecure because they go to the gym is a giant pile poop. That's just a ridiculous assumption.

OP. Pretend like no one is there- more people ARE indeed concerned with themselves- but the reality is the some of the meanest people in the gym are the nicest and will be the first in line to jump and help out.

The biggest thing to helping you feel more confident is HAVE A PLAN when you step in the gym- if it's to go do curls- or walk on the treadmill- just have a plan- you'll feel significantly better and more confident about what you're doing.
    Excuse me? Of course I am serious. Everyone has issues...this is true. People go to the gym to do what? Stay healthy? Look good? Yes...? We do this to make us feel "secure" about ourselves. It's about owning up to your own truths. Embrace the truths and MOVE FORWARD. DO NOT stay there. By the way, I'm a gym rat.
  • omunoz2007
    Options

What is a gym rat.
    What is your concern if someone goes to the gym daily

A gym rat is a term used to describe someone who works out on a basis. I have no concern if someone goes to the gym daily. All the power to them!
  • eacgfambam4
    eacgfambam4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the reply and tips! I'll definitely be looking up some videos this weekend and try to find a begginers program. I'm a pretty shy person to begin with and tend to stick to myself and what I already know. Trying to expand the horizons haha... I know free weights is where I need to be. Stabilization and core workouts are key to that from what I understand and that's what I need for my health. Thank you so much for the feed back, it's appreciated immensely!
  • Lisa_ASD_Mummy
    Lisa_ASD_Mummy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    to the OP, I agree with the majority on here who have said to try and have a few PT sessions or check out vids on you tube fore idea's, you could buy yourself some light free weights for home, they don't have to be new, 2nd hand would do the trick, so that you can practice at home and get some confidence.

I always tell myself when I exercise that the majority of people at the gym are there for a workout and they are focused on just that, they barely notice what others are doing. People are also generally nice and helpful and you will judge yourself much more harshly than others ever will.

Put your headphones in, head up, walk in and do your thing, smile at people who look your way, start small, work up and it will be fine.

Good luck!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options

what?

are you serious?

Everyone's got issues- my issues aren't other peoples issues. Their issues aren't my issues- but saying everyone's insecure because they go to the gym is a giant pile poop. That's just a ridiculous assumption.

OP. Pretend like no one is there- more people ARE indeed concerned with themselves- but the reality is the some of the meanest people in the gym are the nicest and will be the first in line to jump and help out.

The biggest thing to helping you feel more confident is HAVE A PLAN when you step in the gym- if it's to go do curls- or walk on the treadmill- just have a plan- you'll feel significantly better and more confident about what you're doing.
    Excuse me? Of course I am serious. Everyone has issues...this is true. People go to the gym to do what? Stay healthy? Look good? Yes...? We do this to make us feel "secure" about ourselves. It's about owning up to your own truths. Embrace the truths and MOVE FORWARD. DO NOT stay there. By the way, I'm a gym rat.

Blanket assumption much? Just because you're insecure it doesn't mean that every gym rat is insecure.

ANYWAY to the OP: When I first started going to the gym I paid for two personal training sessions. It helped me gain some confidence in the gym and my surroundings and made it much more comfortable for me. It might be worth looking into. Some gyms even have free walk throughs where they show you the equipment etc, which can be extremely helpful in boosting your confidence.
  • ieroen
    ieroen Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My personal experience: going to the gym is pretty intimidating at first. People are checking you out and you feel out of place. It sucks, but that's just the way it is with everything new. After a month of hanging in, you'll realize two things:

1) No one is there to laugh at people or to see others fail. Gym people are all there for the same thing, sacrificing their time to workout and become better. There's a kind of solidarity and a mutual respect between them.

2) After you're all settled in, you'll see new people coming into the gym, feeling insecure. At that point you'll realize that you'll be thinking about them what everyone was thinking about you: "We've all been there. Just hang in."
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm a gym rat. Go 5 days a week at 4am. I started lifting around 5 years ago, although I'm a lifer cardio (jazzercize at 15, lol). Some days I'm the ONLY woman on the lower (weights) level. And I still feel self conscious sometimes.

But so does everyone. And doing what makes you nervous is the only way to get past it. We all feel nervous, and we do it anyway. And so can you.

You got this.
  • pacific904
    pacific904 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I started going in a London gym two years ago, shy, overweight, self conscious. As I was not sure I was going to "stick it" did not even invest in proper gym clothes and wore old leggings and t-shirt - still do.

I just smiled at everyone, some would smile back, some did not but I carried on going regardless. What I found out is that people in the gym are so invested in themselves that they do not give a damn about anyone else or what you look like. It took a long time for me to make friends but two years on I look forward to go there.

What was helpful was to have 2 x 1 hour with a personal trainer to show me the proper use of the equipment.

Good luck.

• omunoz2007
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »

what?

are you serious?

Blanket assumption much? Just because you're insecure it doesn't mean that every gym rat is insecure.

ANYWAY to the OP: When I first started going to the gym I paid for two personal training sessions. It helped me gain some confidence in the gym and my surroundings and made it much more comfortable for me. It might be worth looking into. Some gyms even have free walk throughs where they show you the equipment etc, which can be extremely helpful in boosting your confidence.

First of all I never said that every gym rat is insecure. And second, the fact that my post, which wasn't directed towards you, speaks volumes of your insecurities/securities. I was only giving some advice to the original poster.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way two summers ago. I was doing too much cardio and knew I had lost muscle mass and needed to learn to lift, but was intimidated by the idea of being in that section of the gym. (52 years old and overweight) I got sessions with one of the personal trainers, a woman who's only 5 feet. I loved watching her confidence as we did our sessions and how comfortable she was (yes, I know it's her job). It helped me a lot mentally, as well as learning the lifts and the correct form for each. One time I was there for a while when I looked up and suddenly realized it was me and a bunch of guys that were probably in college. No one looked at me funny or even noticed, and I realized how much more confident I felt and it made me smile.
  • Hazel9999
    Hazel9999 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started my weight loss journey last year and lost 20-25 pounds. My family joined the gym at the end of the year. I've been going to the weight machines room and then cardio but my ultimate goal is free weights. I'm still 75+lbs overweight and I'm terrified of walking into the free weights room alone. There's no one I know that would be even slightly interested in being my workout partner. Is it just me? How do I get over the intimidation factor? I have no idea what I'm doing with free weights. I hate people staring. Thoughts? Suggestions?

• Hazel9999
    Hazel9999 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I usually laugh when I'm in the free weights room listening to blokes grunting sometimes shouting as they compete with each other to lift weights that are too heavy. Then they drop them to the floor and I think, where is the controlled lift and lower. Get in there and work out to your own level, ignore the guys. Some of them are really weedy as well.
  • Davisville91
    Davisville91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hey there. listen... we were all in your shoes at one time. we all walked in there without a clue!!! and... if you tell me you didnt , then you are a liar! Once weighing 316 lbs after pregnancy, i HAD to do something. It wasnt my fault... pregnancy just didnt agree with me. So after being on bed rest for 3 months before i delivered... i had some SERIOUS work to do after. I joined a gym. I had NO clue where to even start. I ASKED someone. I looked things up ( in books, no internet back then). I am NOW a personal trainer. I have been for 10 years. I love it when someone comes up to me and ASKS for my help. Its my job. Its what i am there to do. I now am a gym rat. I lift 5 days a week and i do 30 to 45 minutes of cardio 6 days a week. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! :)
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I was really intimidated too. I was lucky and the first few times I went the free weight area has been fairly empty. One of the times there were these two guys there and I watches how they did their squats and found it super helpful though.