Should I eat my Calories Burned?

So, it takes 3,500 less calories a week to lose 1lb of fat. That means either subtracting 500 from food or burning 500 more or combining both (i.e. 250 less, 250 burned) I have the intake I need for the day based on a sedentary lifestyle because I have an office job and then I add any extra activity I do to my exercise list. It says that for me to lose a 1lb a week I need to eat 1300 calories. I decided that was too low and up-ed it to 1600 and then try and burn off the rest and try not to eat all of the calories burned. The only thing is, if I have a day were I don't get a workout in, I'm eating more than I should. Should I just set my goal at 1300, then go ahead and eat the calories I've burned through workout? Or does that seem an unsafe, low number on the days I don't get a workout in? I am also running between 20-25 miles a week right now and in training. Any thoughts? What do you all do?

Replies

• TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    You will wear 1000 different things. In the end, everyone is different. I always say if you have the extra calories and are hungry then eat, if not then don't.
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    This is a really common question - I personally don't eat them back as don't see the point of exercising just to eat it back - I may as well have saved my self the energy and pain and not worked out however others say they eat them back and it works for them.
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    I never eat my exercise calories...............

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    You'll likely get 20000 different responses and since this is such a hot topic - you may get some nastiness too.

MFP is designed for you to eat your exercise calories back. This particular "program" figures in a deficit assuming you won't be exercising. So, if you followed MFP you would be able to lose your desired amount of weight per week without exercising. Since it already figures in a deficit, it wants you to eat back those exercise calories to avoid creating too large of a deficit.

If MFP tells you to eat 1200 calories a day - 400 calories you burn exercising = 800 NET calories (this is how many calories you've really eaten) + 400 calories eaten back after exercising = 1200 which is your original goal. Now, MFP will say you ate 1600 calories, but you didn't because you burned 400 of them working out. Make sense?

I personally eat my exercise calories. I've learned that when I don't? My body gets grumpy, holds onto weight or gains weight. So, I always eat them back. Plus, as a rule I've very hungry after working out and I want food.

If you want to try NOT eating them for awhile - go ahead, but be aware that you may get to a point where weight loss slows or even stops. If this happens - try eating MORE FOOD and not less. If your body is starving - you won't lose weight. Eat to lose!
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    My advice:
    Use the search button. You will find 3258745067019857157532459814587 responses to this question from previous threads. Tell people write now "Nevermind, don't worry about posting answers." Use the search button.
    This questions causes fights 99.9% of the time it is asked.
  • Buddie616
    Buddie616 Posts: 167 Member
    This is a really common question - I personally don't eat them back as don't see the point of exercising just to eat it back - I may as well have saved my self the energy and pain and not worked out however others say they eat them back and it works for them.

AGREED!!!!
  • Buddie616
    Buddie616 Posts: 167 Member
    I never eat my exercise calories...............

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Me either!
  • Thank you :) that's all I needed to know
  • Dutch806
    Dutch806 Posts: 6 Member
    Ok I have actually had this discussion with a very fit friend of mine.

She works very hard on her weight and fitness and has for a very long time.

You need 1200 a day. I have tried being below and fell into the starvation trap and gained weight. That is a minimum.

I do a very physical job and she suggested I log at least 1200 net. I can burn over 1000 when I am at work without an issue. So i would suggest finding a place where you are not hungry, I believe you said 1600ish and workout to balance your calorie load.

There will be days when working out put you short of the 1300 and days you are over. After the 1200 min you can average the rest. If you are 200 over and don't workout that day just make it up in the next few days. That means extra time in the gym to work off last nights dessert or to pre burn calories for Saturdays picnic.

Hope that helped! :flowerforyou:
  • emcarboni
    emcarboni Posts: 1 Member
    I'm glad you asked this because I have the same question. My calories MFP calculates I should be eating a day is 1200, but that is because I have a desk job. I'm fairly active with running 3 days a week, yoga, and pilates. There are days that I'm heavier in calories burned than others. I do eat most of my calories burned back in, but not necessarily the day I burn it. Should the calories burned be consumed the day it was burned or spreading it out over a day or two be alright?
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    I eat about 1260 calories and i am never hungry, just make good food choices. I dont always eat my calories back only if i have to eat more that day.
  • dimplz1965
    dimplz1965 Posts: 105 Member
    My advice:
    Use the search button. You will find 3258745067019857157532459814587 responses to this question from previous threads. Tell people write now "Nevermind, don't worry about posting answers." Use the search button.
    This questions causes fights 99.9% of the time it is asked.

Great advice, gave me a chuckle! I will say, I've been doing this since May, reading a lot and being confused a lot! It's really truly individuality as far as losing weight. It's finding the right fit for oneself. I've tried a lot of the different things, in the end it seems nothing is budging the scale, but it's not going up - and that's a good thing for me! I keep plugging along.