Help ?

Options
Hello, I just got one of those body fat scales. I'm 5'3 at 137lbs, and it tells me I need to consume 1560 cals to lose 20 lbs in 5 weeks Can this be correct ???

Replies

• missteena88
    missteena88 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Maybe, but 20 pounds in 5 weeks is not very realistic. That's 4 pounds a week. It's best to stay around a pound a week, even 2 pounds a week would be generous.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you chop off an arm, maybe. Losing 4 pounds of fat per week is not going to happen for someone with your stats.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    EmocyHUN wrote: »
    Hello, I just got one of those body fat scales. I'm 5'3 at 137lbs, and it tells me I need to consume 1560 cals to lose 20 lbs in 5 weeks Can this be correct ???

Firstly, bodyfat scales are really inaccurate.

Secondly, 20lbs in 5 weeks is ridiculously unhealthy given your current weight.
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    EmocyHUN wrote: »

Nope, sadly.

Your TDEE is likely around 1700. If you eat at 80% of that its 1360 cals per day. (You can eat more if you exercise on top of that). 350 cals saved a day would take around 10 days to drop 1lb. At first you might lose a bit more due to water etc, but we;re talking fat %. So, 30 days, I'll guess and say 4lb. Just rough estimations you understand. My main aim being to show that "20lb" is way off.

Its a slow journey, but then so was putting it on. That said, 3 months time its nice to look back and see progress :)
  • EmocyHUN
    EmocyHUN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A fancy scale with ambition, ay ? I was kind of sceptical at the scale's recommendation also.Thanks everyone for the replies
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I'd start by asking myfitnesspal how many calories you should eat to lose 1lb a week and not take the scales' advice on this as they are clearly getting ideas above their station.