Anyone had problems eating Kale?

Options
In mid-December, I decided to start adding kale to my egg-white veggie omelettes.
I had never eaten kale before. Problem is, I added about 3 cups of it to my omelettes
for three consecutive days. A couple of days later, my digestive system was thrown
out of whack. Constant burping, mild stomach discomfort, and a gurgling sound that
had never been there before ensued. Those symptoms have subsided somewhat, but
my digestive system is still not back to normal. Anyone else had any issues with kale?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Had you been eating 3 cups of ANY fibrous vegetables daily, prior to adding it to your omelette?
  • dtoscano13
    dtoscano13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm good with spinach, broccoli, green beans, asparagus. My usual omelette would include a combo
    of mushrooms, green peppers, and broccoli or spinach (sometimes both). I had never eaten kale before
    and was pretty heavy handed with what I added.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    dtoscano13 wrote: »
    I'm good with spinach, broccoli, green beans, asparagus. My usual omelette would include a combo
    of mushrooms, green peppers, and broccoli or spinach (sometimes both). I had never eaten kale before
    and was pretty heavy handed with what I added.

Did you cook it a bit before you added it? It can be a bit heavy.
    I was asking because many folks find that adding a lot of greens causes initial...distress. :)
  • dtoscano13
    dtoscano13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did cook it for a few minutes before adding it. No initial distress, but I haven't been the same since.
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I find kale rather like Brussels sprouts or dark green cabbage...A little goes a long way. Although it didn't bother me if juiced.