Shin/calf pain from running

Options
I'm at one of those stages where my running is limited by shin/calf pain. I can breathe fine, heart rate is barely in the aerobic zone, but my lower legs just burn with pain.

I do stretch and I do calf raises on the leg press plus regular leg press. Also might be worth noting I usually land on my toes.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's from tight calves. Try stopping the calf raises for a week, and stretch your calves every hour or two, and right before running too, for 30+ seconds. Here is how: https://youtube.com/watch?v=CkgkmbXz8Mo
    Post an update next week. :+1:
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Shin splints???
  • rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's shin splints, I probably just should've called them that :) They don't last long, they go away when I'm done running, but I will try the stretching for now. Sounds like I can keep running, which is good. For running outdoors I have some boots that basically force a heel strike, that may help as well because I feel like being a toe striker has something to do with it.

Thanks for the advice so far.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    There's loads of advice online for shin splints. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but off the top of my head here's some...
    - get properly fitted highly cushioned trainers
    - Ice shins after running
    - Try calf guards / compression socks
    - Ensure softer running surfaces like grass/track/treadmill not concrete
    - Stick to flatter terrain whilst it's bad
    - Reduce your mileage then build up very slowly by adding only 10% max to weekly total or single longest run distance
  • allyhall1725
    allyhall1725 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    There's loads of advice online for shin splints. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but off the top of my head here's some...
    - get properly fitted highly cushioned trainers
    - Ice shins after running
    - Try calf guards / compression socks
    - Ensure softer running surfaces like grass/track/treadmill not concrete
    - Stick to flatter terrain whilst it's bad
    - Reduce your mileage then build up very slowly by adding only 10% max to weekly total or single longest run distance

Perfect advice the only thing I can add is to consider an NSAID like ibuprofen for pain/inflammation before your run. I always like to tell people to start at a slow pace to warm up the muscles as opposed to stretching cold muscles then always stretch after your run :)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    rks581 wrote: »
    I'm at one of those stages where my running is limited by shin/calf pain. I can breathe fine, heart rate is barely in the aerobic zone, but my lower legs just burn with pain.

I do stretch and I do calf raises on the leg press plus regular leg press. Also might be worth noting I usually land on my toes.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Have you always landed on your toes or did you find some crazy advice on the interwebs that told you that is proper form?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Overstriding can cause shin splints too
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Try trigger point therapy. Google "Sock Doc" and watch his videos about shin splits. I followed his advice and got rid of problematic shin splits and recurring plantar fasciitis pretty quickly. Any time I think I feel pain in either area, I go back to his trigger points and it's always resolved it.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    tnm7760 wrote: »
    Try trigger point therapy. Google "Sock Doc" and watch his videos about shin splits. I followed his advice and got rid of problematic shin splits and recurring plantar fasciitis pretty quickly. Any time I think I feel pain in either area, I go back to his trigger points and it's always resolved it.

^ This!!

To that I'll add that static stretching of cold muscles is not a good idea. Neither is popping NSAIDs as a prophylactic. NSAIDs will hamper recovery and may mask pain, which could cause you to run more than you should, thereby making the problem worse.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    There are a number of potential causes of shin splints. Appropriate treatment depends on the cause, and picking the wrong treatment can exacerbate the problem.

More common causes in new runners are inappropriate, poorly fitting of worn out shoes; too much, too soon; running gait.

I'd generally recommend following a structured training plan, to avoid the overuse aspect. Run in dedicated running shoes that you don't use for anything else. Specifically don't use anything that restricted your freedom of movement. Let the foot control the shoe, not the shoe control the foot.

As you run take sort, quick steps that keep the foot under the body, pushing you forward. Landing on your toes is less important if you're over reaching.