List your best vegetarian/vegan recipes

Options
kphennessey
kphennessey Posts: 1 Member
I need some ideas for vegetarian recipes.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I love chick pea and new potato curry. I eat it several times a week and I'm a meat eater.
  • michele921mfp
    michele921mfp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make a summer squash with snow peas, shredded carrots, mushroom and onions on rice. One of my favorites, not sure how to post a pic
  • idahoearl
    idahoearl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Best ever ... "Three Bean Chili" based on a recipe in "660 Curries" by Raghavan Iyer (a book everyone should own):
    2 T canola oil
    I large red onion, finely chopped
    2 medium-size ribs celery, finely chopped
    I medium-size carrot, peeled. ends trimmed, finely chopped
    6 medium-size cloves garlic, finely chopped
    4 fresh green Thai, cayenne, or serrano chiles, stems removed, finely chopped
    I can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
    2 teaspoons ground Kashmiri chiles; or 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (ground red pepper) mixed with 1 & 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
    2 teaspoons Cumin
    1 teaspoon Coriander
    I & 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher or sea salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
    3/4 cup cashews nuts
    3/4 cup shelled pistachios
    I can (15.5 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
    I can (15.5 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    I can (15.5 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and
    fresh chiles, and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, the onion browns,
    and browned bits stick to the bottom of the pan, about 20 minutes.
    2. Stir in the tomatoes, with their juices, and the ground chiles, cumin-coriander blend, salt, and
    turmeric. Lower the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the tomato is
    softened, about 5 minutes.
    3. While the mixture is cooking, pour just 1/4 cup water into a blender jar, and then add the three kinds of nuts.
    Puree, scraping the inside of the jar as needed, to make a thick, slightly gritty paste.
    4. Add the nut paste to the vegetable mixture. Pour 2 & 3/4 cups water into the blender jar and whir the blades to wash it out, making sure you get every bit of the nut paste. Add the washings to the pan. (NOTE! If you added all the water to the blender with the nuts, the excess liquid would prevent the nuts from grinding evenly. They would be coarsely crushed, giving a very different texture and flavor to the curry.) Add the pinto, kidney, and black beans, and stir once or twice.
    5. Once the chili comes to a boil, lower the heat to medium-low, cover the pan, and simmer, stirring
    occasionally, for about 15 minutes. At about this time, the sauce might start to stick on the bottom, so turn
    the heat to low and continue to simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick, another 15 minutes.
    6. Sprinkle with the cilantro, and serve.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I made Bhindi Masala yesterday...onion, okra, peppers and garlic with some garam masala. Easy and tasty.

Sauteed onions and peppers with rice. Stirfry a bunch of veg with some peanut oil, soy sauce and seasonings and/or italian dressing...my standard is onion, garlic, ginger, carrot, brocolli, peppers, green beans, water chestnuts and sno peas. Some red cabbage is also a nice add.

Penne pasta, diced tomatoes, garlic, capers, white kidney beans seasoned with basil, marjoram, salt and pepper. Maybe some parsley.

There is a series of cookbooks published by a restaurant in Ithica, NY which are wonderful. They have some recipes on line here: http://moosewoodcooks.com/all-recipes/.

And I'll second the 660 Curries...it's got meat recipes, too, but the veg recipes are excellent. Madhur Jaffrey has some excellent veggie cookbooks as well.

Try the library...they generally have a huge variety of cookbooks and you can try them out, copy out the recipes you like, etc.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite soups. It's an unusual combination, but it's good!

Lentils with Black and White Beans
    (Makes 14 Cups)

Sautee in 3 T Olive Oil:
    1 large Yellow Onion
    3 cloves Garlic
    3 cups Zucchini
    Salt and Black Pepper to taste

Add:
    2 cups Imagine Organic – No-Chicken Broth
    (Or any vegetarian broth that's not sweet)
    28 oz can Diced tomatoes
    1 container Trader Joe’s Steamed Lentils (around 2.5 cups)
    1 can Black Beans
    1 can White Beans

Optional - add near the end:
    1 Cup Frozen Corn
    3 cups Fresh Spinach
    1 can Whole Green Olives
    ¼ cup Fresh Parsley
    ½ tsp. Coriander
    Cayenne Pepper to taste

With all ingredients above:
    2 cup serving: 311 Calories, 15g Protein, 8g Fat, 46g Carb, 8g Fiber
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Make tons of veggie foods

Lots of Chinese...in particular Sichuan. Thai. Indian. Can make an endless number that are all different. Of course adding in eggs or milk gives more options.

I've posted many pictures and recipes in the past...
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    You asked for it! Here's my compilation of tried-and-true favorites:

COWBOY CAVIAR

Vinaigrette:

¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper

Whisk vinaigrette together and pour over the following ingredients and stir to combine:

1 can black beans, drained
    1 can white sweet corn, drained
    2 roma tomatoes, diced
    2 avocados, diced
    1 bunch green onions, tops only, chopped

VEGETARIAN CHILI

1 ½ cups cooked kidney beans
    1 ½ cups cooked pinto beans
    1 can Dakota Pride Mild Chili Beans (my secret weapon-only thing I buy at Aldi’s)
    1 onion, diced
    2 green bell peppers, diced
    1 can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
    2 ½ cups water
    1 tblsp chix bullion powder (vegan)
    1 tblsp chili powder
    1 tblsp garlic salt
    1 tblsp cumin

Bring everything to a boil and cook until onions and peppers are soft – about 15 minutes.

RATATOUILLE HOAGIE

Dice & saute up in a little olive oil:

1 eggplant
    1 zucchini
    1 green pepper
    1 onion
    1 clove garlic, minced

Once everything is getting fairly cooked, add in a can of diced tomatoes with juice and a couple tablespoons of tomato paste. Season with salt & pepper, basil and parsley. I like to toast hoagie buns, load them with this, add (vegan) mozzarella and put under the broiler for just a minute - until the cheese is melted.

AVOCADO TOFU SANDWICH

Baked Tofu: Press & drain 1 block firm tofu. Cut into 4 "patties". Brush on mixture of soy sauce and liquid smoke, then sprinkle on garlic powder, salt & pepper. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Flip and bake additional 15 minutes.

Avocado "mayo": Mash 1 avocado and combine with 1 T red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and parsley. Use this in place of mayo.

Serve in a pita with a slice of tomato.

VERY VEGGIE “SPAGHETTI”

2 Tbsp Tuscan Herb Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or regular EVOO)
    1 Onion, diced
    10 oz jar sliced Mushrooms
    2 large Zucchini, shredded in food processor
    2 large Carrots, shredded in food processor
    2 cloves Garlic, minced
    1 can (15 oz) Tomato Sauce, no salt added
    1 can (15 oz) Diced Tomatoes, no salt added - DO NOT DRAIN
    2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
    2 Tbsp Flaxmeal
    1 Tbsp dried Basil
    1 Tbsp dried Parsley
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    Nutritional Yeast (optional)

Using a julienne peeler, make a huge mound of raw carrot or zucchini "pasta"...then top it with very veggie sauce.

DEVILISH CHICKPEA SALAD

3 cups chickpeas, cooked
    1 cup vegan mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon yellow mustard
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    Season Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons finely chopped chives

Combine everything except chives in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse on and off until the mixture is nicely melded, but don’t puree—leave a little texture. Add the chives through the feed tube and pulse on and off a few times to whirl in

THREE BEAN SALAD

1.5 cups cooked kidney beans
    1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
    2 cups cooked green beans
    1/2 white onion, finely diced
    1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced

Dressing:

2 T olive oil
    2 T apple cider vinegar
    parsley, salt & pepper to taste

Mix dressing, stir in beans, onion and bell pepper and let marinate for at least 2 hours.

QUINOA VEGGIE PLATE

Ingredients
    1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
    1 cup water
    1 tsp vegan chix bouillion (optional)
    1 cup frozen green beans
    1 cup frozen cut carrots
    1 cup frozen peppers and onions

*Sauce:
    1/3 cup tomato sauce
    1/3 cup diced tomato with juice
    1 tsp Italian Seasoning
    1 tsp dried minced onion
    Dash of garlic powder
    Salt and Pepper to taste

1 tsp Nutritional Yeast
    Sprinkling of Adobo Seasoning

Directions
    Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add vegan chix flavored bullion, if desired. After boiling, stir in rinsed quinoa, lower heat to medium low, cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until quinoa is semi-translucent.

While quinoa is cooking, steam green beans, carrots, peppers and onions for 8 minutes.

For sauce, combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, dried minced onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper and heat on stove for 5 to 10 minutes.*

To plate, divide quinoa onto two plates, top each with half of the veggies and sprinkle on Adobo seasoning. Divide the tomato sauce and pour over each plate and top each one with 1/2 tsp of nutritional yeast.

*To speed this up, you can substitute your favorite pasta sauce for the sauce recipe.

LOADED BAKED SWEET POTATO

(ingredients listed tops 2 sweet potatoes):

Combine 1/4 cup beans (red, black, white, pinto...your choice), 1 diced tomato, 1/2 diced onion, 1 tablespoon ground flax, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1 tablespoon lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Mix it all up and top the sweet potatoes.

I usually just stab the potatoes with a fork several times and microwave them for 10 minutes and they turn out perfect!

STIR-FRY SAUCE

I heat up a bag of frozen stir-fry veggies, 1 can of chinese veggies (drained), 1 can of water chestnuts (drained), then pour the following sauce. I know stir-fry is supposed to be quick-cooking, but after I pour my sauce on, I like to keep it on the heat for about 5 minutes, stirring the sauce around and letting it soak in to the veggies.

Whisk together:

1 tsp ginger
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tbsp light agave
    4 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp ponzu sauce
    1 tbsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
    1 tsp corn starch

TOFUNA

Baked Tofu
    Press a block of Lite Firm Tofu to remove as much water as possible. Cut into 4 "patties". Spray a baking sheet with EVOO. Mix together 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce and 1/2 tsp liquid smoke. Brush onto both sides of the patties, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Flip over and bake additional 15 minutes. When they are cooled, I roughly break them up and pulse them in my food processor. Put into a mixing bowl and add:

1 celery stalk, finely diced
    1/2 cup vegan mayo
    3 tablespoons dill pickle relish
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    salt & pepper to taste

Mix thoroughly and thoroughly enjoy!

My favorite “comfort food” recipe…I love to add LOTS of pepper flakes on mine!

PEANUT NOODLES

1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup all natural peanut butter
    2 tablespoons sesame oil
    Red pepper flakes (optional)

In a saucepan, heat water, soy sauce, ginger and vinegar on medium-low heat. When warm, add peanut butter. Allow it to melt a couple minutes, then use a whisk to smooth it out. Just before pouring over cooked pasta, turn off heat and whisk in the sesame oil. Pour over 16 oz cooked whole wheat pasta. Sprinkle on red pepper flakes.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    BNS and sage risotto (this is a bbc goodfood recipe I changed to make vegan for a friend and it turned out great)

serves 4

kcal609 fat24g saturates10g carbs87g sugars17g fibre8g protein15g (I don't add butter or parmesan in my version so the cals and fat will be slightly lower, but adding peas will probably even it out a bit calorie wise also lower further if you use spray oil to reduce the amount of oil you need)

1kg butternut squash, peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
    3 tbsp olive oil

Sage, leaves picked, half roughly chopped, half left whole (you can use dried sage if you're stuck but the fresh stuff really kicks this recipe off)

petite pois peas (optional)

1½ l vegetable stock

1 onion finely chopped (I sometimes crush a few cloves of garlic too)

300g arborio rice

1 small glass white wine

Before you make the risotto, heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Toss the squash in 1 tbsp oil (or olive oil spray) together with the chopped sage (I usually season with a bit of cracked black pepper and a bit of ground sea salt). Scatter into a shallow roasting tin and roast for 30 mins until it is brown and soft.

While the squash is roasting, prepare the risotto. Bring the stock to the boil and keep on a low simmer. In a separate pan, add 1tbsp olive oil. Stir in the onions and sweat gently for 8-10 mins until soft but not coloured (i sometimes add crushed garlic too), stirring occasionally. Stir the rice into the onions until completely coated in the oil, then stir continuously until the rice is shiny and the edges of the grain start to look transparent.

Pour in the wine and simmer until totally evaporated. Add the stock, a ladleful at a time and stirring the rice over a low heat for 25-30 mins, until the rice is cooked al dente (with a slightly firm, starchy bite in the middle). The risotto should be creamy and slightly soupy. When you draw a wooden spoon through it, there should be a wake that holds for a few moments but not longer. (I sometimes add some petite pois peas at this stage)

At the same time, gently fry the whole sage leaves in a little olive oil until crisp, then set aside on kitchen paper. When the squash is cooked, mash half of it to a rough purée and leave half whole. When the risotto is just done, stir though the purée, and leave to rest for a few mins (at this stage give a taste to see if it needs further seasoning with salt and pepper). Serve the risotto scattered with the whole chunks of squash and the crisp sage leaves.

if you want to reduce portions I cut the size by a third and serve on a bed of baby spinach to pad it out. (or just serve with a big *kitten* garden salad of cucumber, tomatoes and baby leaf) the creamy texture of the risotto usually means I can cope without dressing the salad.

Hope that helps.

Ps original recipe:-

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7767/butternut-squash-and-sage-risotto
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Crescent Dragonwagon's "Passionate Vegetarian" cookbook (see, e.g. , http://dragonwagon.com/cookbooks/) . With more than a thousand recipes, it's massive on the verge of overwhelming, but it's also chatty and fun. I picked up my copy at a half price bookstore for next to nothing over a year ago, and have pulled it off the shelf for inspiration and ideas at least once a week ever since.
  • bookcase101
    bookcase101 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As someone has already recommended I use this site - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com
    You can filter by vegetarian but sometimes I follow the meat recipes and replace the meat with quorn or veggies. Some of my favourites are Sweet potato dhal pie, beetroot risotto, spicy carrot and lentil soup.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Made a few curries tonight

Spinach, paneer (optional) and pickle
    Potato
    Daal

I don't use butter or any cream...
    wl5daedfv4ms.jpg
    x6ox7p30ewnb.jpg

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Not kidding, this was delicious. And I'm not even a vegetarian. LOL @ the title of the recipe.

http://www.thekitchn.com/vegetarian-lunch-chickpea-of-t-114022
    Chickpea of the Sea (vegetarian tuna salad sandwich)
    urysxav0kdkd.jpg

ETA: I only put a little bit of celery seed in. I thought the recipe was asking for too much. Didn't want to be overwhelmed.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I love this chickpea curry: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/chickpea-curry/. I make it with light coconut milk and use less oil and honey. The coconut milk makes a huge difference in the calories, so choose light or full fat depending on your nutritional goals.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    *BBQ 'Chicken' and Fried Rice with Mushrooms*

I make this with store bought BBQ sauce and Chicken-style pieces. We are Vegetarian but I understand that Quorn sell something similar for Vegans called 'pieces' which you can find in the freezer aisle.

I boil some rice and mushrooms with a vegetable stock cube added. While that's heating up, I take the 'Chicken' and cut it into smaller cubes which I place into an oven dish with some boiling water (This sounds odd, but many meat substitutes fare better when a little water is added. The result is a lot more succulent). I then add seasoning and some BBQ Sauce (normally only 1 tbsp per portion) and coat the 'chicken'. Pop this into the oven on a medium-high heat - I normally cover mine.

As the Rice is nearing a cooked state, heat up a large pan that has been lightly sprayed with oil. We personally use Frylight as it is low-calorie. Check on your 'chicken' it should be stickier and the sauce bubbling. Leave your 'chicken' to cook for longer if necessary.

Your rice and mushrooms are now ready to go into the frying pan. Add the entirety of the rice and mushrooms to the pan and continue to agitate. Over approximately 10 minutes, the rice will colour. It is up to you how much you enjoy your rice fried.

When I am happy with the cooking of the rice, I turn it down and add to it the 'chicken' from the oven. Any remnants of sauce will coat the rice. At this point, I usually remove it from the heat and serve.

As previously mentioned, we are Vegetarian and cooking this meal with those ingredients in mind - I can make this for under £1.00 per person and around 350 calories.

Happy Cooking!
  • LisaY76
    LisaY76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump