Any tips for trying to lose weight working at Burger King?

Options
2»

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Just track what you eat and you will lose weight. Learn the BK menu by calorie and take advantage of free or discounted lunches, then you will have to worry less about cooking at home. I used to maintain 120 lbs eating Pizza Hut for lunch and dinner. Hint: most fast food restaurants have salad and chicken. Your job is somewhat active so you actually have an advantage over those that work in an office all day. No matter what job you do for 8-9 hours a day you will end up sore and tired. If you are interested in working out you just have to push through the exhaustion and do it.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I worked at a Burger King MANY years ago. There are tricks to eating at FF REstaurants.

One of my favorites is getting a cheeseburger, cutting it in half, and "losing" half the bun - thereby you now can make 1/2 a double cheeseburger. OR lose the bun altogether. Grilled chicken is always better than fried chicken, but sometimes it is nice to "splurge".

Salads are always good - but the dressing can sometimes not be so good. So choose wisely there or bring your own (if you can).
    Instead of a salad - see if you can "ring it up" as a salad and just have sliced tomatoes. SOmetimes I'll use just a little bit of salad to give a little flavor to it.

At restaurants that don't have grilled chicken nuggets, I'll get a grilled chicken sandwich, lose the bun, and cut it up and get some dipping sauce.

Don't be afraid to get put a piece of bacon on a salad. It can add a lot of flavor and may allow to cut back on whatever dressing you use.

For what it's worth...
  • emjam99
    emjam99 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I eat the veggie burger there, grilled chicken, and salads are good options. Diet sodas and water or low cal beverages. It's good to be on your feet for burning calories, however just keep mindful of what you're eating at work. Try to save one day that you eat like fries or nuggets or burger or something and then the other days just try to stay cleaner. (Hope I helped)
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat. Don't eat there even on cheat days or meals. Bring food from home
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would think eating a salad +meat at work would be free, if so, that seems reasonable.

The biggest thing is probably that you are exhausted after work.

On a day off, make a big batch of something. Freeze half in individual portions. Eat the other half for dinner all week.

I eat hard-boiled eggs every day for breakfast. Super fast. I can eat them in the car, or pack them. I make a big pot that lasts for days.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I worked at McDs in college and we got a huge discount so I'd end up getting the 2 cheeseburger meal (large) with an OJ, 6 piece chicken nuggets, and an oreo mcflurry weekly. I was tiny- like barely breaking 100lbs. Then I volunteered to scrub the tile in the dining area because I felt bad standing around one day when we were slow... big mistake. It was so gross I still have issues eating at some fast food places. And this was a pretty clean restaurant!

So bring your own food from the start (it'll taste better and you can control it) and keep busy, even with gross jobs haha.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital and don't spend the day taking the drugs we dispense. Bring your own snacks (cashew nuts, fruit, water). If you get a free lunch then choose chicken, don't eat the bun, salad without dressing if that's available and diet drinks or water. 8-9 hours is a normal working day.

Because a burger is the exact same as Oxycontin.

Mmmm....oxy burger!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    You will get used to the walking at work fairly fast, at that point you will realized that 8/9 hrs is a normal workday and that there are not any excuses to not food prep and work out during your time off. For now just make it a priority to stay under your cal limits.
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    A long long time ago (about 8 years now) I started my journey into weightless (with MFP of course ;) ) and I was working there as a team member 40+ hours a week and going to school full time (Yeah....no personal days off...EVER). What I found helpful was to not eat as much food there as I was allowed (discount and all). If I did eat there, I tried to eat the healthier things like grilled chicken or the fish with the breading removed or the salads. Another thing that I did was I brought food from home and just kept it in the big refrigerator in the back. That was definitely helpful. I had also did at home exercises like Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred. Good luck!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Weightloss - Track your calories, eat in a deficit. It's that simple.

Everything else-
    I typical work day for me is 10 hours (just time on the clock, not including any commute) Mon-Fri, and I usually end up going in for a while on Saturdays as well. (This is mild compared to some schedules.)
    I am in the gym 4-5 times a week for 2+ hours. I try to schedule my longer workouts for weekends when I'll have more time. Weeknights are basically getting off work, getting ready for gym, getting home to eat and before long it's time for bed. If getting to the gym is a priority, you can make time. As many people have mentioned, you can certainly still lose weight without going to the gym. Being more active at your job is going to help.

I've learned that the crock pot is my friend when I want a meal ready when I walk in the door. Just toss in your meat and veggies and turn it on. They even sell disposable liners to save on clean up time if you make something that's going to be a messy clean up. It makes cooking extremely easy.

I also agree with the salads and grilled chicken as a good option while at work. (I actually looove a gold ol grilled chicken sandwhich with mayo. Mmm.)
    You're busy at work, you won't be having fries and milkshakes all day. You just have to make a good choice when/if you order. (And you can definitely still have fries and milkshakes if that's what you want, just make it fit your calorie goal.)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that keep you within your calorie goal.