Which Heart Rate Monitor is Best???

Options
Hey!

I am looking for a decent (not too expensive) heart rate monitor, preferably a watch version so it doesn't get in the way while i'm at the gym :)

I basically just want one that will tell me how many calories I have burned etc... nothing too complex.

I have had a quick look online and looked at many review websites, I just can't decide which one will be the most accurate.

I'm based in the UK. All suggestions welcome :)

Thanks!

Replies

• MaureenCreates
    MaureenCreates Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    This.
    I've been looking for one, too.
    Except I'm in Canada.
  • garypf
    garypf Posts: 1
    Options
    I wanted something similar, easy to use and not overloaded with functions and went for the Polar FT4.
    Gives heart rate, and calories burned and a nice digital watch face as well. Got mine from Amazon (around £50 ) and comes in two design colours.
    :smile:
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I use the polar FT4F with the chest strap. Gives a really accurate calories burned, is super easy to use, and also the chest strap is very comfortable. Good luck!
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I just bought one last week so I did a bit of reseaarch. To get the most accurate numbers it has to have a chest strap. you'd be better spending an extra £20-30 than getting a cheap one which hasn't got one.

I went for Polar FT7 (£70-90, depending where you get it) but Polar FT4 is a bit cheaper and has many of the same features.
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    can someone tell me what the differences are between the ft4 and ft7 models?
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Ditto that- I'm wavering between the two.
    It looks like the ft4 bases calculations on age/height/weight:
    FT7 doesn't say that- I assume it also does or lets you be more manual, but they both have manual zone settings.
    The polar site has one extra on the FT7:

Polar EnergyPointer
    EnergyPointer is an easy-to-use feature which tells you during a training session if the main effect of your training is fat burning or fitness improvement. EnergyPointer visually indicates the center point between these two training effects, so when you are below that point, you are improving fat burning, and above that point, you are improving your aerobic fitness.

I'm guessing this is the main difference?
  • elisse86
    elisse86 Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) really helpful (also great that everyone has suggested the same brand!)

Thank you!!
  • jimmy_jenkins
    Options
    Polar FT4 works great for me. Cheapest on Amazon.co.uk i think.
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It looks like the ft4 bases calculations on age/height/weight:
    FT7 doesn't say that- I assume it also does or lets you be more manual, but they both have manual zone settings.
    The polar site has one extra on the FT7:

The FT7 does ask you for all your details when you first turn it on age/height/sex/weight