Hypothyroidism meals

Options
jt342015
jt342015 Posts: 1 Member
I am looking for recipes to help my hypothyroidism.

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is not something diet can help with. Only medication can help.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Although nothing can cure it there are things that aggravate it. Broccoli, cabbage and anything in the cabbage family have been said to make it worse and don't eat grapefruit too soon after taking your meds.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Soy products
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    You are one of The Tribe, eh? I would add to what the others have said - stay away from sugar, even in natural form. Hypoglycemia can be a side-effect of hypothyroidism, so the best thing you can do to keep your energy levels from tanking is to avoid sugar spikes. We are really lucky that MFP has a terrific calculator so you can manage your day very well. I would also add that if you must eat broccoli, cabbage, kale, etc., you are going to be less negatively impacted if you eat them cooked.

Also - if you have not done so, check your vitamin D levels and take the spit test for cortisol. These can really mess up your recovery if they aren't optimized along with the thyroid.

Feel better! This is a very loooooong slog!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    *rolls eyes* i haven't cut a single food out of my diet and i'm doing just fine with my hypothyroidism. just make sure you're properly medicated. the rest is unnecessary unless advised by your doctor.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    *rolls eyes* i haven't cut a single food out of my diet and i'm doing just fine with my hypothyroidism. just make sure you're properly medicated. the rest is unnecessary unless advised by your doctor.

this! no thyroid here and aside from the doctor recommending no to limited soy, I haven't changed my diet at all (except for the brief period of specifically medically required for radioactive iodine

i've not seen any clinical trials (although haven't looked hard) that support these special diets for thyroid issues
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »

this! no thyroid here and aside from the doctor recommending no to limited soy, I haven't changed my diet at all (except for the brief period of specifically medically required for radioactive iodine

i've not seen any clinical trials (although haven't looked hard) that support these special diets for thyroid issues

This would be because there are no trials as there is no link. There are a multitude of shady people out there marketing and profiting off some variation of a "Thyroid Diet".

Just make sure you are getting a periodic full thyroid panel including TSH, fT3, fT4, and rT3. TSH should be in the range of 0.2-2.0.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    My problem with "thyroid foods" is twofold: first, there isn't a single "thyroid boosting" food that I can find backed up on the Mayo clinic website, which is my quick go-to double check for medical stuff. Therefore, I ain't believing it. Second, if thyroids really could be yanked around by foods in thyroid diets, medication would be thrown off and people would have to start the whole process of getting the right dosage over again. And again, and again, depending on adherence to the magical thyroid diet.

On that note, @cheryldumais You might want to reconsider the cabbage family vegetables based on this. I really, truly doubt you could eating enough broccoli to affect your thyroid, although I understand abstaining until you double check the information.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    There's lots of causes of hypothyroidism. Medication is not the whole picture for some people.

Foods to moderate are generally be goitergens.
    Foods rich in iodine and selenium support thyroid function.

Speaking to a pharmacist about timing of medications n relation to food can be useful (synthetic thyroid hormone is a delicate molecule and avoiding particular foods/supplements for a couple of hours is recommended).

When people have hypothyroidism with an autoimmune etiology reportedly some people get relief from elimination diets to address the cause autoimmune disfunction.

It's best to get your information from an endocrinologist though, rather than a forum such as this because a) not everyone's hypothyroidism has the same cause and b) people think they know everything and try to give medical advice.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have Hashi's with associated hypothyroidism. I've had it for about 22 years now. No endocrinologist has ever advised me to cut foods out of my diet or add anything to my diet.
  • Justmex86x
    Justmex86x Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello nice to see this thread. I had thyroid cancer an had my full thyroid removed so im now on thyroid tablets for life but playing havoc with my weight I cant seem to shift it an they are also still trying to get my dosage right. People seem to think thyroid problems are nothing but thats not the case.
  • Tiberiel
    Tiberiel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Caveat: I know I don't know anything more about hypothyroidism than they taught me in school! If I'm remembering right, the thyroid is what keeps your metabolism pumping, & hypo means it's operating at a lesser efficiency. Would foods/drinks that are supposed to boost metabolism (such as nuts, or green tea, or spices like cayenne pepper) be of any help to you in a situation like this?
  • CGWD
    CGWD Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism to, some foods do aggravate it. Our bodies are all different so some foods affect some of us and not others. Though my dr. Never told me to cut out broccoli and other foods, I did it on my own. I couldn't lose weight I was working out more and eating healthy. I am losing weight now. Try finding out what foods maybe affecting you if amy at all
    Good luck. Hope it all works out for you.