Need Everyone's Help! Please!

Options
sakapona
sakapona Posts: 22 Member
edited January 2017 in Motivation and Support
Hey everyone,

So I guess we're all here for the same reasons. Be healthy and get fit! I have made so many goals I have never lived up to :(. I have officially ruined my entire insides from yo-yo dieting. I decided today that I would start a discussion or something to start losing weight and actually stick to it. This way I could get encouragement and positive energy from everyone. I hope someone is willing to help me. My story is the typical story of on and off diets. I won't rant and be repetitive, I'm sure my story is somewhat similar to many other people. But here's the bottom deal.

My current weight: 260lbs
Height: 5'0"
Identification: Obese :(

I am married with 2 healthy children. Boy and girl, who definitely keep me on my feet. Very close in age. I was working and stopped when I had them. Haven't gone back since.

Current health conditions:
I have recently been diagnosed with PCOS and Hashimoto's Disease (Autoimmunity related to thyroid - hypothyroidism). All these years of testing, nothing showed and now I'm stuck with these 2 major health conditions. To top it off, I've been also recently diagnosed as lactose intolerant. So, PCOS, Hashimoto's Disease, and Lactose intolerant. Can't get any better :( I gained most of my weight during university. I did an undergrad in Criminoloy and Sociology and Minor in Political Science. Then got my Bachelors of Education degree. Worked as a teacher for 5 years and then stopped due to pregnancy.

Today I decided to get this thyroid thing into check. I'm considering doing the Paleo diet. What are your insights? Has anyone tried it before? I'd love to hear from everyone. Also, my doctor is telling me to try the natural way first, change diet; such as, gluten-free, sugar-free, and dairy-free foods. She wants me to give that a try before being prescribed meda. She said I could probably do it without them. After all, I have to change my food choices either way because the meds will not make a difference if I don't. Has anyone been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease and did not take medication?

I'd love to hear from everyone and would greatly appreciate everyone's support. Should I make a blog or something, or this discussion board enough?

Thank you all in advance! Hope to hear from someone!!!

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Make sure to get your thyroid regulated. You'll need a lot of blood tests and trial and error with medication dosages. It takes time, but not the worst disease on the planet..

Paleo is a healthy way of living, but in my opinion it is too restrictive and will likely leave you craving all kinds of foods.

Low carb and Gluten free is mostly a fad diet unless you have a specific medical condition to justify it. It doesn't sound like you do. But you should talk to your doctor about it if it's a concern.

Flexible dieting has the highest success rate. That is just a fancy way of saying eat mostly nutritious foods but have the occasional treat. Make sure to eat in a calorie deficit for weight loss and hit your macronutrient goals.
  • sakapona
    Options

Thank you galgenstrick for such a prompt response and your thoughtful insight. Sadly, my doctor tells me that it is a must that I go gluten-free, sugar free, and dairy-free. This is very hard for me too. She said this will greatly improve help eliminate bad toxins, regulate my cortisol, leptin, insulin, serotonin and release all inflammation. I feel like I'm never going to lose weight. I honestly try very hard and I am very committed. My only set back is I never really lose much. I've tried everything.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    There are several currently active users of mfp who have said that they suffer from PCOS or Hashimoto's . I suggest that you use the search function to find recent discussions in which these people mention success at handling each of these conditions. Try contacting them. Perhaps they can and will be willing to help. I wish you well.
  • sorrelqueen
    sorrelqueen Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    hi
  • sorrelqueen
    sorrelqueen Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi, I'm 34 ,5'0 ft as well ,and also have pcos.(hormonal imbalance) which is horrible to have

I have been told to go caffeine free (but I love coffee), gluten free, gmo free, organic meats and fish only, raw food at least 70%, limit dairy and of course sugar has to go! I switched to unsweetened almond milk. And I cut out 90% sugar.

I came across "fat,sick, and nearly dead " documentary with Joe Cross, it's very good. It's on Netflix or YouTube .
    And because of watching it, I'm going to do the juicing (greens, fruits, veg) and hope to get reverse Pcos!!
    Good luck on your journey!
  • sakapona
    Options

Hi, yes it's not the best at all. You were told the same information so I guess there is no alternative to our condition. Thanks for the resources. I will definitely look into them. Thank you!!! Thanks for the friend request. It will be a great opportunity to encourage each other!