Under limit

My calorie limit is about 1400 which is set for me to lose a pound a week. Everyday though I eat and record my calories but I'm usually about 500 under even though I'm full and can't eat anymore. I'm not sure what to do because I feel as though the amount of calories I'm eating is unhealthy and I need more but I physically can't eat more.

Replies

• stacbbw
    stacbbw Posts: 7 Member
    Maybe you could change what you are eating. Add some avocado or other healthy fats. Add protein powder to your yogurt for extra nutrition. Just an idea.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    I have similar problems as soon as I start eating healthy food. Health food seems to fill you up better than junk. I switched back to full fat Greek yogurt, add flax seeds to smoothies, avocado, or a handful of nuts. Or add some butter to a sweet potato or something. It feels like a treat then. ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    If you are really eating 900 and cannot manage to eat more, seeing a doctor would be a good idea.

Opening your diary would likely result in some good tips, though.
  • mactaffy428
    mactaffy428 Posts: 61 Member
    I really don't mean to be snarky, but I don't understand. If you need to lose weight, you must have eaten more than 1400 calories in a day. What has changed?
  • cordney
    cordney Posts: 73 Member
    Are you weighing and measuring food properly? Is it possible that maybe things aren't being recorded correctly? If you are doing it correctly then I would add in some healthy fats.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2017
    I really don't mean to be snarky, but I don't understand. If you need to lose weight, you must have eaten more than 1400 calories in a day. What has changed?

Many people, including me, have to deal with altered hunger cues when starting a calorie restricted way of eating. It took me months to find a food combo that wasn't too low in calories and wasn't too high in calories.

Some don't understand how people who obviously ate too many calories before now are having trouble eating enough. IMO, it relates to more mindful eating and more food volume per calorie than before.
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Use something like MCT Oil as a supplement; 15mls = 115 calories of healthy fat.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2017
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »
    Some don't understand how people who obviously ate too many calories before now are having trouble eating enough. IMO, it relates to more mindful eating and more food volume than before.
    You must agree OP's 900 is not healthy. How mindful eating and food volume makes you full at 900 calories is beyond my understanding. In these "I can't eat all my calories" threads, most people suggest adding healthy fats to the diet. Isn't that a good suggestion?

It absolutely is a good suggestion. Those calories need to be brought up to the minimum healthy amount, at least.

My point is that I completely understand how someone can get to the end of the day without eating enough calories when eating lower calorie, especially at the beginning. We see multiple posts about this and I experienced it myself. There's usually a response with some variation of "that's impossible or else you wouldn't need to lose weight now" and that's not true. The OP's problem isn't unique. Suggestions on ways to work with the problem are certainly helpful, while denying that this could be a problem is not.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2017
    OP, very often when people first start logging and are not hitting a low calorie goal, it's actually a logging error. How are you measuring your portions? Are you double checking the entries you are choosing in the database (some of them are wrong)?

900 calories is not a lot of food. Some folks do have a smaller appetite when they first start dieting, but that should fade fast. So please double check your logging and if you think it's accurate and this low-cal goes on for more than a couple of days, please find a way to get more calories.

If you are willing to open your diary, you could get some more specific advice, though I know not everyone is comfortable with that :)
  • conwaylaura4
    conwaylaura4 Posts: 4 Member
    I know I'm logging correctly. I've put in everything and made sure it's the right amount and have even put in the little amounts of food even if it's and m&m or two that would be easy to forget. I'm going to try to change my diet so I get more calories in and not fill up on lower calorie items. Also this wasn't a problem in the past so that's why I'm now trying to lose weight because at one point I wasn't eating this little. If it continues I'm going to go to the doctor to see what's going on.
  • conlad20
    conlad20 Posts: 1 Member
    You might not be doing anything wrong, I started on 2JAN 5 days ago at target of 2lbs loss per week and target cal 1600, first two days I was just under with my food and then the second 2 days I had 800 Cal's because I was trying someone else that was mega healthy that I found in a cook book and today I've hit 1000 Cal's. It's like I've been doing my own version of the 5:2 but it's not bad especially if you've previously been on a plateau. Tomorrow I'm going high again with a new recipe. Breakfast is an apple oatmeal slow cooked hot pot from fitness pal recipes, steamed brown rice and veg with steamed salmon for lunch and then for dinner turkey meatballs in a healthy sauce, using ground turkey and cooked also in the slowcooker. The meals may be high protein, high fat but it's not bad bad fat. This comes in under my limit and there's room for a soup if I need it. So far I've lost a pound a day but I know this is water weight at the beginning but yeah it's going good but I say this because maybe you need to change a few things your eating :)