Total soy meal replacment

Options
I just wanted to see if anyone has ever used total soy meal replacment shake before and have seen progress? :)xs2nc10u1agy.jpeg

Replies

• amadorlca
    amadorlca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Get pea or rice protein instead
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I thought you were going to suggest just eating tofu and edamame with soy sauce. Washed down with soya milk.

But actually what you are suggesting is some kind of hideous Soylent Green substance. Put it back on the shelf and go and eat some actual food.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    For those of us of western origin, we often lack the enzymes to enable us to digest soy and its byproducts. Also it can be "toxic" to the thyroid if someone has thyroid/endocrine issues.

I would suggest, if a supplement is a requirement, you go for pea or rice protein, they are less problematic than dairy based ones, someone may believe they have no issue with dairy but when whey is added to their diet they react poorly because of the casein, milk protein. Casein intolerance is the most common dairy reaction.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    True I can't remember where I found that nugget. It was in relation to soy being a historic food of the Japanese and not of most of us in the west. I recently found an enzyme supplement which helps digest the stuff. It might fall in the amaylase group that relates to fruit/veg. I did find a Mercola article which says soy production divides the bean into protein and oil which they don't in Asia they eat the whole bean.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat food you like, in a deficit...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    OP - progress as in weight loss?

If you eat/drink less calories than your body burns....you achieve loss. It's all about CALORIES, no matter the form. So eat less food (that you like) & lose weight, or drink shakes & lose weight....there's no magic in replacement shakes.

Meal replacement plans may help you take the weight off but they do nothing to address maintenance. Weight loss is after all just step one.

Measuring and logging real food does address maintenance. My Fitness Pal is designed for people to measure and log real food.
  • jaorti95
    jaorti95 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    What's good about it?
    amadorlca wrote: »
    Get pea or rice protein instead

• jaorti95
    jaorti95 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Okay you guys I was just wondering about it. I've always tracked my food and weigh my food.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    True I can't remember where I found that nugget. It was in relation to soy being a historic food of the Japanese and not of most of us in the west. I recently found an enzyme supplement which helps digest the stuff. It might fall in the amaylase group that relates to fruit/veg. I did find a Mercola article which says soy production divides the bean into protein and oil which they don't in Asia they eat the whole bean.

It seems highly unlikely to me. It's just a bean. And as for people in Asia eating the whole bean, they don't, they process it in myriad colourful ways.

The fact is that the dietary woo machine has its sights set on soya as a demonic devil food and will come up with anything that sounds vaguely plausible to convince people there's something wrong with it - like canola oil, fructose and microwaves. It's all daft nonsense.

But I'm still not in favour of meal replacements, they're just a way to milk money from people desperate to lose weight while making them miserable at the same time.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I know it is late to weigh in my opinion. I have PCOS and have found it way easier to stick to a restricted diet with total soy. I lost 120lbs before I got pregnant with my daughter with soy slimfast and this is the same stuff. I love their product and will continue to use it. I have about 100lbs to go to goal.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    I know it is late to weigh in my opinion. I have PCOS and have found it way easier to stick to a restricted diet with total soy. I lost 120lbs before I got pregnant with my daughter with soy slimfast and this is the same stuff. I love their product and will continue to use it. I have about 100lbs to go to goal.

Why resurrect a zombie thread to say this, rather than post your own? Though i must say, it does contain some rather thrilling examples of what happens when I'm presented with woo while in a bad mood. I'm quite frightened of myself.