You remember Pearl Jam?

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
Pearl Jam charity donates $25K to Ferry County Rail Trail
by Rich Landers

TRAILS -- Eddie Vedder, front man for the rock group Pearl Jam, says the band plans to contribute $25,000 to the Ferry County Rail Trail Partners' next surfacing project on the trail that runs from near Republic to the Canada border.

The donation comes from the Vitalogy Foundation,which supports the efforts of nonprofit organizations doing commendable work in the fields of community health, the environment, arts and education and social change.

The Ferry County Rail Trail is a 25-mile multi-use, nonmotorized route along an abandoned railway that connects four towns, two school complexes and has miles of waterfront on Curlew Lake and the Kettle River.

“I’m totally amazed,” said Bob Whittaker, president of FCRTP. “I had heard it announced on the news that Pearl Jam are inductees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, then a few hours later I got a text from Vedder with the news. What a lovely guy, band and a wonderful organization.”

Vedder, a friend of Whittaker's from their youth in Seattle, has supported the rail trail in the past with signed skateboards. Vedder also autographed a ukulele used in recording his album "Ukulele Songs" and donated it to the Ferry County group for an auction that raised $17,000 for the trail.

Keith Bell, vice president of FCRTP, said the $25K will be, “a real boon for our nonmotorized trail project. Specifically the funds will likely be used as a match for a Washington Wildlife and Recreation Program grant.”

Vedder asked that the donation be made in the name of Chris McCandless, a modern adventurer who was the subject of the award-winning book and movie "Into the Wild". He said the donation also is in recognition of the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation and their ancestors who have walked this valley for thousands of years.

http://ferrycountyrailtrail.com/

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    awesome! That is a trail I would use....if I could find it!
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Rail Trails are the best
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Very Cool.... Very Cool... :)
    Of course I remember Pearl Jam.
    I saw Eddie at the Bridge School Concert with Neil Young and David Bowie. In the late 90's. I think it was 1996.
  • thumbingmyway524
    thumbingmyway524 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    All time favorite band. In case the user name didn't give it away ☺ and my numerous PJ tattoos. Forever and ever, love.
  • bluecollarfrench
    bluecollarfrench Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    All time favorite band. In case the user name didn't give it away ☺ and my numerous PJ tattoos. Forever and ever, love.

One of friends was eddies nanny for two years. Traveled the world with the family. I guess he is a great guy and a great father.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    My first real concert was the pearl jam tour for vitalogy, way back in the nineties before they started playing radio shite and Eddie Vedder lost the plot. I have original pressings of all the early albums on vinyl though. Spin the black circle every now and then.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Do you remember Cal Jam? RIP Don Branker.
    Thank you for your stories In Rock N Roll about Stevie Nicks and others. I'm sharing this with the mfp people for you. <3 Love, Karen
    https://youtu.be/xqZ92gcVNOA