Any guys use a fitbit?

Options
Reaching out to all the men out there...

I'm getting into fitness and was looking at getting a fitbit. Mostly it's women that seem to use them (based on those I know) and was looking for feedback from guys on whether they are worth it?

was looking to take up swimming this year and thought about the flex 2, but being an IT gadget nut I may be tempted for the all singing all dancing blaze instead.

I do like the motivation aspect (I ashamedly admit I got a bit hooked on Pokemon go for a little and it got me doing 10k Steps a day instead of my normal 3k). This is why I've considered it.

Thoughts welcome!

Replies

• rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I wore a Fitbit Charge HR for a year, now I wear a Garmin vivoactive HR which is a bit more of a smart watch. It's definitely worth it, it's sort of like a dashboard for your body that shows heart rate and level of activity. I never had any unusual comments...people were mostly interested in what it did. And I never felt like it was a women's thing at all.

The premium version will compare your activity level to men in a similar age range, which is kind of interesting, although you have to remember that men with Fitbits is different than the general population. I didn't end up sticking with Premium. I would personally recommend the Garmin vivoactive HR (though not one of their lower-end models) if you like gadgets. It has a GPS and will receive notifications and incoming calls from your phone and only costs about $100 more than a Fitbit. Also, with Garmin products there is no premium website, all the features like activity tracking, GPS activity maps, even training plans are included.

Some of the more expensive Garmin watches have additional features, for example you can follow a training plan on the vivoactive HR but you can't actually download your workouts to the watch. I use Endomondo for that on my phone so it's no big loss for me.
  • MrPow377
    MrPow377 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had the fitbit charge, then the surge. I've now got a flex 2.
    I like the flex 2 as it's just a band, it allows you to wear a separate watch without looking odd lol
  • gh76
    gh76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a flex. I'm happy enough with it that I'll upgrade to a flex 2 before summer.
  • bfoertsch
    bfoertsch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started out out with a Flex, then a Charge. Now I have a Blaze. Been wearing a FitBit for about three years now. Get into the weekly and weekend challenges a lot with my wife and her coworkers from the hospital. It's tough to get more steps then those nurses. Good motivation to try and win the challenges.
  • CassaJay23
    CassaJay23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm not a man but my husband and a lot of my make friends have one and they all wear it and love it.
  • mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I wear a charge HR and love it.

I like the sleep feature and it helps me be more aware of how active I am. I'm consitantly getting over 10k steps and I've got my average sleep per night above 8 hours.

Ive also noticed my resting HR is a good bit lower than when I started a year ago.

All in all I don't totally trust the calories burned but even if the Fitbit is a little off it is consitantly off so you can still track trends.

I don't eat back very much of the exercise calories it gives me but I definitely have a lot more insight into my overall health.

I say it's worth it.
  • stephmph16
    stephmph16 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My husband has the Charge 2 and loves it.
  • Ozzzzzzzzzz
    Ozzzzzzzzzz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A couple of guys at my work wear them, I tried my wife's for a couple of weeks and it wasn't for me.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I use a Microsoft Band and love the integration with my Windows Phone. Besides all the normal fitness stuff, I can recieve (and reply to) emails and texts with it and my Band can be synced to MFP