Hard not to pick when cooking for the kids

Options
Our family is pretty much chaos like a lot of others - I often cook for the children at a sensible time say 5.30pm and then again at 7.30 for hubby-to-be when he gets in from work at that's too late for the kids to eat. I always eat with him as he is very encouraging with my eating - he is a bit of a fitness freak to be fair so we eat pretty healthy. It isn't half difficult not to pick when cooking for the kids though - they have had chicken with tomatoes and pasta tonight, generally eat pretty healthy as well butI had to stand and physcially tell myself not to eat the left over bits and instead feed them to the dogs instead

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Someone on this board said something that has helped me not eat the kids remaining food. It was "I'm not a garbage disposal!". Yeah, that helped.
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Lol I like that
  • Dramatic456
    Dramatic456 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    try popping out of the room and brushing your teeth, putting a stick of gum in your mouth, or putting some whitening strips on your teeth. This prevents snacking! and you'll have fresh breath and a pretty white smile when your husband gets home ;)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 meals a day, one of them is usually around 4:30-5 then again around 7:30. If you eat a small meal or snack before cooking for the kids maybe you won't be so tempted? If you aren't hungry, then yes, remember that you ARE NOT a garbage disposal. I like that one too.

I just noticed on your profile that you struggle to meet your calorie goal, so having a little snack could def. help! Good luck!
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    I'm not sure if you have leftovers, but what if you plated their food and then immediately put the rest away?
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    - they have had chicken with tomatoes and pasta tonight, generally eat pretty healthy as well butI had to stand and physcially tell myself not to eat the left over bits and instead feed them to the dogs instead

Vet Tech here and this is off topic, but please don't feed all leftovers to your dog either... approximately 50% of dogs in the US are obese. An extra pound on them is so much worse than an extra pound on us. Just like people, it can cause extra wear and tear on joints, the heart, blood sugar, liver/kidneys. Just throw it out, don't think you are giving fido an "extra treat" to be nice.. you're not helping him/her either.
    5 extra pounds on a (should-be) 12 pound Shih Tzu is like 58 extra pounds on a 140 pound woman.
    5 extra pounds on a (should-be) 25 pound Beagle is like 28 extra pounds on a 140 pound woman.
    5 extra pounds on a (should-be) 70 pound Lab Retriever is like 10 extra pounds on a 140 pound woman.
    Also many of the things we eat contain things that can possibly harm your dog.. like onions and garlic. You're also risking possible pancreatitis, which can be life threatening if it's acute. Giving fido fresh veggies like carrots and green beans is fine, but I wouldn't suggest giving things like pasta. Don't give them anything unless you know that's it's not toxic.
  • Jenna5890
    Jenna5890 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm an au pair so I have this problem too. I try to throw everything away as fast as possible. Or feed him and put the rest away immediately. It's always so tempting to pick but then I feel guilty afterwards.
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    - they have had chicken with tomatoes and pasta tonight, generally eat pretty healthy as well butI had to stand and physcially tell myself not to eat the left over bits and instead feed them to the dogs instead

Vet Tech here and this is off topic, but please don't feed all leftovers to your dog either... approximately 50% of dogs in the US are obese. An extra pound on them is so much worse than an extra pound on us. Just like people, it can cause extra wear and tear on joints, the heart, blood sugar, liver/kidneys. Just throw it out, don't think you are giving fido an "extra treat" to be nice.. you're not helping him/her either.
    5 extra pounds on a (should-be) 12 pound Shih Tzu is like 58 extra pounds on a 140 pound woman.
    5 extra pounds on a (should-be) 25 pound Beagle is like 28 extra pounds on a 140 pound woman.
    5 extra pounds on a (should-be) 70 pound Lab Retriever is like 10 extra pounds on a 140 pound woman.
    Also many of the things we eat contain things that can possibly harm your dog.. like onions and garlic. You're also risking possible pancreatitis, which can be life threatening if it's acute. Giving fido fresh veggies like carrots and green beans is fine, but I wouldn't suggest giving things like pasta. Don't give them anything unless you know that's it's not toxic.

Correct, very off topic. they are my partner's dogs aged 5 and 6 now, walked twice a day and definately not over weight - he did take slight offence to that.