How soon did you notice weight loss

Options
As I've only just completed 1week I'm excited till the end of the month to see if I lose anything. Just wondering how soon you saw some weight loss.. 1 week for me and there's no change. I'm trying to be patient and not get discouraged.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Some people lose do well in the first week, others take a little longer for the weight loss to kick in.

Just be sure you are weighing and measuring your food and drink, as well as logging your calories. Do you use a food scale?
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I notice small things in the first ten days; like my body having dimples in my stomach line, my face thinning out a bit, feeling a bit more trim around the shoulders and armpits, etc.

Don't trust the scale to be your only judge, get some measurements of your neck, hips, waist, chest and thighs too and track them once a week.
  • melto1989
    melto1989 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Some people lose do well in the first week, others take a little longer for the weight loss to kick in.

Just be sure you are weighing and measuring your food and drink, as well as logging your calories. Do you use a food scale?

I am with some things but using scales full time I will do if all else fails. Not something I want to be doing unless I absolutely have to.
  • melto1989
    Options
    I notice small things in the first ten days; like my body having dimples in my stomach line, my face thinning out a bit, feeling a bit more trim around the shoulders and armpits, etc.

Don't trust the scale to be your only judge, get some measurements of your neck, hips, waist, chest and thighs too and track them once a week.

True I wonder if my eyes are tricking me because I've been excersising as well that I feel like my neck and chest seem trimmer but put it down to a mental thing and scales didn't change. I will get some measurements ASAP
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,801 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sometimes the scale doesn't seem to budge but the measuring tape says you're going in the right direction. You can enter the measurements here on MFP, just like you can enter your starting weight. :)

As for using food scales, some people love it and some hate it. I've found it's a necessary tool for me to stay on track. It's far too easy to eyeball portions and think I'm in the right calorie range, when in fact I am overeating. Just because I enter 1 ounce of cheese in my diary doesn't mean that's what I actually ate - unless I've weighed it. ;) There's a great YouTube video about portion sizes that pops up from time to time on the boards, I am sure someone will be along to post it.

If you want to start small, log what you think you're eating for a few weeks and see how the scale and measurements change (if at all). If you're not seeing progress after that, weighing and logging accurately are the only way you'll know what else needs to change.
  • melto1989
    Options
    Sometimes the scale doesn't seem to budge but the measuring tape says you're going in the right direction. You can enter the measurements here on MFP, just like you can enter your starting weight. :)

As for using food scales, some people love it and some hate it. I've found it's a necessary tool for me to stay on track. It's far too easy to eyeball portions and think I'm in the right calorie range, when in fact I am overeating. Just because I enter 1 ounce of cheese in my diary doesn't mean that's what I actually ate - unless I've weighed it. ;) There's a great YouTube video about portion sizes that pops up from time to time on the boards, I am sure someone will be along to post it.

If you want to start small, log what you think you're eating for a few weeks and see how the scale and measurements change (if at all). If you're not seeing progress after that, weighing and logging accurately are the only way you'll know what else needs to change.

Good idea
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    A great gauge of success is how your clothes are fitting! Depending on your exercises, you could be trading muscle for fat, therefore not seeing the scale move, but your loathes should start fitting different. Best of luck!
  • cjam134
    cjam134 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use the food scale for calorie dense foods like peanut butter, cheese, meat, bread etc. Last night making my salad, I eyeballed a cup of cabbage. If I'm off with cabbage, meh, don't care.
  • hotasfire36
    hotasfire36 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I noticed within the first week my face was slimming. Probably lots of fluid loss, but I still loved it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Took me a good 5-6 weeks to see the scale move, I have a lot of water fluctuations due to hormones and retain a lot due to exercise too so it's fits and starts with whooshes.

I see it physically more than anything and in the tape measure. When I started, that first month with no scale movement showed huge changes in the inches on my body.

And I wouldn't be without my food scale. I'm actually a pretty good eyeballer, I think it comes from doing a lot of baking (and here in the UK we don't use cups for that so am well used to scales) but using a scale takes all of an extra second when logging and it keeps me honest. I also never need to question if I'm logging things correctly/accurately so it takes the guesswork out of things.