Vegetarians, click here.

Options
TeMpi
TeMpi Posts: 53 Member
Help a mofo out...

I've been a vegetarian for 7 and a half months now. I'm really getting tired of eating the same stuff over and over again. I almost never have the means to cook for myself or store foods in cooled areas. I refuse to eat junk food and usually end up getting salads from fast food places with light or no dressing and the occasional veggie delight from Subway. I'm mostly stuck on drinking protein shakes and eating granola/special K bars.

If you have any good ideas on decent food that can be eaten quickly I'd love to hear 'em.

Replies

• janah84
    janah84 Posts: 5
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for two years. There are plenty of options out there if you are willing to cook. If you aren't then you will eat mostly salads and veggie delites.

I have a lot of cook books that I use. Or i look online for recipes.
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I like to bake a sweet potato (best cooked in it's skin in the oven.....like 425 for about 45 minutes depending on size of potato)......open a can of black beans and drain......heat the beans together with a really yummy salsa or just hot sauce,,,,,top the roasted sweet potato with however many beans you want and top with chopped avocado, chopped tomatoes, chiffonaded lettuce, some cilantro if you like and I like some cheese and sour cream. It is very filling and full of great stuff. You just figure out the nutritional content based on the size of the items you use. Oh and to make it especially yummy squeeze a bunch of fresh lime juice over the whole thing.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If you want to sustain a healthy diet you will have to make some changes and have the ability to cook and prepare your own food. Storage isnt that much of an issue as many people shop daily but it will be difficult until you can test out and play around with foods you like and actually do some cooking.
    I bought a tabletop electric 2 burner unit when we were renovating the kitchen and just set it up on a table in the dining room. Perhaps you could make some modifications to your space to accomodate for food prep and cooking?????

Good luck to you!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options

.... I almost never have the means to cook for myself or store foods in cooled areas. .....

why is this?

Check out this site for meal ideas - many are single serving "assembly" or very easy recipes. 28 days of vegetarian breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/vegbootcamp/mealplan

You can also invest in a small cooler so you can prepare your food and bring it with you.

Where there is a will, there is a way. good luck!
  • dlconcidine
    Options
    Dude I feel your pain. I don't really like to cook either, but I have to. Have you tried stocking up on soups, hummus, pastas, or quinoa? There are a lot more frozen food options for vegetarians these days from Gardenburger, Morningstar and Boca.
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for over 20 years, and I eat tons of different things. Beans and rice, w/w pasta with mixed veggies (you can always buy them frozen), tons of ethic options--stir fries, Indian curries, Thai curries. If you have a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods near you, they sell lots of jarred sauces and frozen fake meats that make fast meals.
  • TeMpi
    Options

.... I almost never have the means to cook for myself or store foods in cooled areas. .....

why is this?

Check out this site for meal ideas - many are single serving "assembly" or very easy recipes. 28 days of vegetarian breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/vegbootcamp/mealplan

You can also invest in a small cooler so you can prepare your food and bring it with you.

Where there is a will, there is a way. good luck!

It's because I stay at various different places during the week. Thank you for the recommendation.
  • TeMpi
    Options
    Dude I feel your pain. I don't really like to cook either, but I have to. Have you tried stocking up on soups, hummus, pastas, or quinoa? There are a lot more frozen food options for vegetarians these days from Gardenburger, Morningstar and Boca.

Yes. And, actually, I love to cook. I just don't have the time or the means. Also, I love garden or boca burgers. I just about cream my pants every time I get the chance to make one. =)
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I think the other's are right, your life will be a lot better if you can at least buy a mini fridge and a microwave!!!

With that you could get a lot of the Pacific Foods soups (in boxed containers) with really cool flavors like carrot/cashew/ginger or lemongrase corn. You can also make fresh salads (not boring ones) but ones like what I call the 'shaker' salad. You shake together the salad, dressing, and very few ramen noodles when you're ready to eat...it involves cabbage (uncooked), thin sliced red pepper, cilantro, green onions, shaved carrots with a fresh cider vinegar and OJ dressing. It's so refreshing, I modeled it after this Kona Grll restaurant, a nice one nearbye.

Also, find your Spouts/WholeFoods/Trader Joes (Although I prefer the first two for price reasons). Whole Foods has printable coupons online you can print as many times as you want, and sprouts just has GREAT fresh food prices and amazing new products for vegetarians. Such creativity on premade foods if you just had a freezer and microwave that would open up many of your options. Like tofu bologna sandwiches (tofu bologna soooo much better than tofu turkey slices FYI), or meatless meatballs (Frozen) those are YUM and microwavable within seconds!

Look for local spots that are nutritious and vegetarian friendly. It takes a while to find them. In Ohio I found a place called Alladins, a lot of middle eastern/medditeranean places will have vegetarian friendly options (fallafel/hummos/pita/grape leaves) SOOOO amazing.and many cities have middle eastern restaurants now. What's great about this is you get protein from the hummos / fallafel too! Here in Phoenix I've found Pommegranite (a vegan creative little place) and Pei Wei (a newer asian place faster food owned by P.F. Chang's that has great tofu.). You can find places like P.F. Chang's that have tofu dishes and do take out.

Also Chipotle's is pretty good for fast food vegetarian b/c you can get the black beans, and get it in a bowl or even w/o rice, with the corn mix, which is so yummy. At least the guac i healthy fats too!
  • TeMpi
    Options
    I think the other's are right, your life will be a lot better if you can at least buy a mini fridge and a microwave!!!

With that you could get a lot of the Pacific Foods soups (in boxed containers) with really cool flavors like carrot/cashew/ginger or lemongrase corn. You can also make fresh salads (not boring ones) but ones like what I call the 'shaker' salad. You shake together the salad, dressing, and very few ramen noodles when you're ready to eat...it involves cabbage (uncooked), thin sliced red pepper, cilantro, green onions, shaved carrots with a fresh cider vinegar and OJ dressing. It's so refreshing, I modeled it after this Kona Grll restaurant, a nice one nearbye.

Also, find your Spouts/WholeFoods/Trader Joes (Although I prefer the first two for price reasons). Whole Foods has printable coupons online you can print as many times as you want, and sprouts just has GREAT fresh food prices and amazing new products for vegetarians. Such creativity on premade foods if you just had a freezer and microwave that would open up many of your options. Like tofu bologna sandwiches (tofu bologna soooo much better than tofu turkey slices FYI), or meatless meatballs (Frozen) those are YUM and microwavable within seconds!

Look for local spots that are nutritious and vegetarian friendly. It takes a while to find them. In Ohio I found a place called Alladins, a lot of middle eastern/medditeranean places will have vegetarian friendly options (fallafel/hummos/pita/grape leaves) SOOOO amazing.and many cities have middle eastern restaurants now. What's great about this is you get protein from the hummos / fallafel too! Here in Phoenix I've found Pommegranite (a vegan creative little place) and Pei Wei (a newer asian place faster food owned by P.F. Chang's that has great tofu.). You can find places like P.F. Chang's that have tofu dishes and do take out.

Also Chipotle's is pretty good for fast food vegetarian b/c you can get the black beans, and get it in a bowl or even w/o rice, with the corn mix, which is so yummy. At least the guac i healthy fats too!

Good ideas! Thanks!
  • randomartisrgirl
    Options
    Two words: Morning. Star. They have everything (well not EVERYTHING, but them stuff is pretty decent and they have a lot of stuff you can grill, bake, fry, WHATEVER. There's also Boca.
  • TeMpi
    Options
    Two words: Morning. Star. They have everything (well not EVERYTHING, but them stuff is pretty decent and they have a lot of stuff you can grill, bake, fry, WHATEVER. There's also Boca.

I am a big fan of morning star. I actually just got to make some garden burgers today. The tomato basil is probably the best I've ever had.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    Tons..i never eat at fast food.

there are micro pizzas, amy's soups, amy's foods, morning star. etc etc
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    I'm a new vegetarian slipper up and ate meat the past couple days but now I'm back on track, anyway I'm just going bump for latter
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for 21 years and never yet felt the need for a protein shake!

I don't eat bread or pasta as I don't find wheat agrees with me, but they are good vegetarian staples, I have the occasional seeded wrap with rocket, chilli jam and grilled halloumi lite, which is amazing, and very high in protein. If you want to do it wheat free, you can do the same as a salad. It's really good with pomegranate seeds added.
    I eat a ton of humous, with cucumber, radishes, anything, really. Adding a dollop of humous to a salad is a good protein source. Moutabel is like humous but with smoked aubergine instead of chickpeas. I make that if we have a barbecue.
    There are a lot of vegetarian sushi options - cucumber, avocado, tamago, tofu, also edamame beans. I make a lot of stir fries with rice noodles or whole grain rice. Can you get quorn? I make a great mushroom and quorn pie that tastes just like chicken and mushroom.

I cook all the time, I love cooking, but tbh I have never felt limited by my vegetarianism. There are so many foods out there, meat should only ever be a small part of your diet anyway, and one that is very easy to cut out.
  • richardzaccone
    richardzaccone Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I not a complete vegetarian but could be if my wife wasnt a meat and potatoes kind of gal. I have been with MFP since March 29, 2011 and lost more than 20 lbs with hourlong treadmill, dieting and scrupulous attention to food intake. My main lunch consists of salsa and chips. The salsa is made by Ortega Medium Chunky and I add fresh chopped sweet onion, green onion, tomatoes, black beans, etc. and whatever is in the fridge veggie bin.
    Bottom line is if you can wield a knife safely you can eat.
  • auntbyte
    auntbyte Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some great ideas! I don't know what I would do if I couldn't store/cook food. Like everyone sez, there are so many great new foods out there, these days. I've just discovered Morningstar's new "Turkey" patties with tomato and avocado. Delicious! Ditto their bbq ribs.

And I keep Tofurkey Hickory Smoked Deli slices in my fridge at all times. Great for club salads or sandwiches and at 30 cal each, I can indulge!

Quorn "chicken" patties stuffed with Gruyere cheese make me weak in the knees, but I'm on restriction from them now because of that (amazing) cheese.

If you have a Whole Foods nearby, they have "mock chicken salad" in their deli case. It's awesome, but you can make your own with packages of Delight Soy "chicken" nuggets in their freezer case. I make it with chopped cekery and Vegenaisse (which I now like better than Kraft Mayo). My carnivore friends eat this up!!

Egg Beaters. Again, at 30 cal/serving, it's really good, all loaded up with veggies.

I like a BLT made with Morningstar Farm's bacon. The trick is to make sure it gets crispy; then it's yummy with a big, fat slice of heirloom tomato!

I've stauchly defended my vegetarian lifestyle of 11 years until recent bloodwork told me a quadruple bi-pass is dangerously near (and I have no insurance!) That, plus the fact that I'm extremely obese. So I have to lay off the dairy and eggs (cholesterol). Outside of a few new low/no fat cheeses and yogurts, I'm basically a vegen now, but it's why I'm here, soaking up all the great experiences/info that you kind folks have to say. Many thanks!
  • photonurse
    Options
    I make a lot of quesadillas....any combination of tortilla, cheese, beans, and veggies...and all you need is a hot pan to lay it in and fold over! Delicious! Good luck!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I think you are going to need to start cooking for yourself. The vegetarian options are endless......but not much that is quick and easy that doesn't need to be cooked or at least stored in a cool place. You might be stuck with salad and veggie delights.

I would choose one day a week (say sun) and cook several meals (like a chili, or lasagne etc) and then freeze into the portion size you want and invest in a decent cooler that you can bring with you with some reusable cooler packs. Then you just need to reheat your meals and you can eat well with minimal cooking and no fridge needed.

Some portable foods I like is hummus and crackers or veggies instead of crackers but the hummus needs to be in the cooler bag.

You could do canned veggie chili, just need a microwave but gotta watch sodium.

Frozen dinners are quick but again usually high in sodium and you need a microwave.

Make your own sandwiches, no cooking required but you will need to keep them cool, you can do just veggie sandwiches, or use some sort of deli "meat" like yves or tofurky. You can use bread, pitas or tortilla wraps to change it up. Add cheese if you want.....tons of variety here.

You would need to cook this but quinoa and grilled veggie salad is delicious. It can be served hot or cold.

I could go on and on but if you go to vegweb you can get tons of ideas for meals