30 and over weight

Options
I'm James I'm 30 and I'm 312 lbs my goal is 250 by June and 220 by the end of the year

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,758 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. :)
  • trigger2391
    trigger2391 Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hey James,

My name is Matt and I started at 620lbs in august of last year, I'm currently 545lbs and one thing I can suggest to you is don't be so hard and fast on your goals. Ok you want to loose 60 odd pounds, that's awesome you've taken the first step on the road to being healthier. BUT, don't be so I want to be x by y, be I want to be X because it'll allow me to DO Y. Weight loss is hard enough, but the biggest aid to your journey is definately being in the right head space and having the right mental approach.

You'll go through periods where your weight will just fluctuate for no reason, or you'll plateau. You have to allow your body to do it's thing and not be so I have to do 2lbs every week or whatever the numbers work out to. That way leads anxiety and ultimately failure.

Set your goals by ok I want to loose a pound or 2 a week that means working out your BMR, your total calories out, and then setting a daily calorie deficit. This includes what you're eating and what you're exercising for a total deficit. Try it for a few weeks. If it isn't working or it's too hard, adjust a little till you get something that is helping you progress your weight loss but doesn't drive you up the walls or make you want to eat them. It's better to set a small caloric deficit and increase it after achieving it, then set a large one and decrease it cause you couldn't achieve it.

The biggest tip I can give anyone is the 7 P's.... PROPER PRIOR PLANNING PREVENTS PISS POOR PERFORMANCE.

Do your research on a food regime you can live with, research where you can get the ingredients cheaply and easily. What and when or how much prep work do you need to do to make the healthy eating feasible if you work long hours (like I do) so you can just come home and in a couple of minutes throw a healthy meal together.

Honestly spend the first month, figure out what your bad habit triggers are, and strategise around them. I can't handle bread, I just love it. So no bread in my house, outta sight outta my belly. I do things like have my weekly meal plans on the fridge so i don't have to wonder what I'm getting out of the fridge/pantry and eating when I'm in the kitchen.

Exercise wise, INCREASE your incidental exercise, if you like me have been stuck to the couch for a long time. At the start when everything is hardest this will help the most. Know someone else who's overweight? Ask them if they'd like to go for a walk with you on a regular basis. Support is key!

Anyway, hope you found this helpful.
  • maddiemadz27
    maddiemadz27 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp.