Week 1

Options
I wasn't even able to manage 7 days without blowing it. Chips, chocolate. I'm discouraged and last night was thinking I really don't know how to do this. I know what I need to do I just am not good at carrying it out. Failure is discouraging.
But today is a new day. A fresh start. So I'll start again. I'll breath deeply, I'll remind myself of my goals and I'll work towards them. I'll pray and be thankful. My fridge is loaded with vegetables so my mini-goal for today is to prepare snacks that I can grab instead of junk food.
One step at a time, one day at a time, one carrot at a time
Mel in Toronto

Replies

• showerbeer182
    showerbeer182 Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    One carrot at a time....haha I flipping love that!!! Good luck to you in Toronto missy! Go Leafs!!!
  • SaraB_82
    SaraB_82 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    One day of a mess-up is just a bump in the road. Keep on trucking and it'll all average out. :)
  • rikkitomikodavis
    rikkitomikodavis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't punish yourself! It's not realistic that we can change decades of habits in one week! Besides, we don't need to get rid of decades of habits, just update them to healthier ones! Find some chips that are lower in sodium and calories and choose darker chocolate. We shouldn't give up the foods we love(or when we get stressed we'll just binge and give up) we should just find healthier options.

Everything will be fine! Good luck!
  • baconwine
    baconwine Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is definitely something that happens to me. I have one bad day and I beat myself about it and fall off the wagon.
    But what I am learning about myself is that I have to take it day by day. I have put so much more time into planning my meals than I did before. I am finding that this makes a huge difference.
    Something else I realized.. .. .I can do this. I am not an idiot and I am successful at other areas of my life so why not be successful at a healthy lifestyle? I deserve it!
    And so do you!
    Take care and believe in yourself.
    Tomorrow is a new day!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    If eating chocolate is failing then I fail almost daily :D

Don't cut out chocolate or chips just make them fit your calorie goal.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't punish yourself! It's not realistic that we can change decades of habits in one week! Besides, we don't need to get rid of decades of habits, just update them to healthier ones! Find some chips that are lower in sodium and calories and choose darker chocolate. We shouldn't give up the foods we love(or when we get stressed we'll just binge and give up) we should just find healthier options.

Everything will be fine! Good luck!

This^

Leave some room in your goals for a treat here or there. If you can't be trusted with an open bag of Hershey Kisses at home, then go buy a small chocolate bar.....and log it. Dark chocolate is great.

If you want restaurant food, then "bank" some exercise calories during the week to "spend" on your favorite dish.

Don't expect to eliminate all your favorites during your diet......and then go back to usual during maintenance. Because maintenance takes work too. Lifestyle changes.....you need to carry a few things forward to keep the weight off.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Mel in Toronto, I would suggest prelogging for tomorrow and including chips and chocolate. It can be done. Don't beat yourself up... this is the long game. There will be days you'll go over. It took me a lot of time to shed the all-or-nothing attitude. If you think of this journey as one that is about carrots, I think you'll have trouble sticking to it. Unless you love carrots as much as I love chocolate. Think of it as one that's about keeping track and setting sensible goals. Every night after the kids go to bed, I have a snack which usually includes something sweet (like a ferrero rocher for 73 calories or 1/2 cup of slow-churned ice cream for 110) and something savory, like light string cheese, wasabi almonds, or popcorn (all under 100 cals). Most days these things are consumed within my calorie limit, but some days they are in excess of my limit, but I have them either way. That way, I don't think of myself as on a diet, because I hate diets and I quit them.