Why do so many people say they can't reach their calorie goal?

Options
12346»

Replies

• ejoliver1991
    ejoliver1991 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I am off work and just sitting around home all day, I sometimes struggle to reach that many calories because I am just not hungry. That certainly doesn't happen on days that I am working and more active, but sitting at home on my computer all day doesn't work up much of an appetite.

To answer your question, frequently ordering calorie-heavy (pizza, Chinese, etc.) food and eating when I am not hungry is how I gained weight. Stopping that is how I sometimes come in low in calories.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I have been at this for a while so I know how to count my calories...I can eat them all! I also don't feel as if I get rewards for eating very low calorie. My calories level is 1600.

Yet...recently for health reasons I changed my diet to moderate carbs. I ate 3 meals a day...had a snack...and at the end of the day I had barely eaten 800 calories.

I average 100g of carbs and proteins each which equals 800 calories. The rest SHOULD come from fats but I have never been a high fat eater unless it came along with a bunch of carbs. High fat levels make me feel bad.

So...

Moral of this story is that sometimes when people change their way of eating and they cut out certain foods it takes the a while to adjust and find other ways of meeting their calorie goals. It has taken me almost a week to get up to 1300 which with my activity level is not enough. I don't want to lose my weight that fast.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Neanbean13 wrote: »
    What i want to know is why do people get so damn offended so easily on this app?

It's the hunger and weakness from exercise
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Yes often wondered the same thing OP
    I knew straight away 1200 was too small for me. If I had stuck at that number or lower I would have given up long time

In my opinion it's the going from one extreme to the other to get the fat off fast
  • missteena88
    missteena88 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why everyone thinks they need to eat 1200 to lose weight. I know it varies based on starting weight and height but there are a huge number of people with their calories set this low. When I first started MFP at 360ish pounds, I managed to lose 1.5 pounds a week exercising 2 times a week and eating 2000 calories a day (sometimes closer to 2,500).

The way I see it; you can't help everyone and ultimately people are accountable for their own actions.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Well in my case, im a vegan and i just cut gluten and refined sugar from my diet. So its pretty managable to eat 1200 calories but i do sometimes go to sleep with a food baby.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why everyone thinks they need to eat 1200 to lose weight. I know it varies based on starting weight and height but there are a huge number of people with their calories set this low. When I first started MFP at 360ish pounds, I managed to lose 1.5 pounds a week exercising 2 times a week and eating 2000 calories a day (sometimes closer to 2,500).

The way I see it; you can't help everyone and ultimately people are accountable for their own actions.

To show you the difference...

When I started I weighted 246lb. At my age to lose 1.5lb a week I was given 1250 at sedentary. At 2000 calories I would have just kept gaining.

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    edena001 wrote: »
    I assume you're on about the post I just created. Before I came on here I wasn't very conscious about working out, and just ate what I wanted.
    I assume my weight gain came from the fizzy drinks and simply junk food or take away, and the swap from walking loads daily to living 1 minute away from a uni and city so no walking was required.

When you come on this app you start to think about what you eat, I've cut out half the bad foods I've had and taken to healthier options that fill you up, and if you do that then it is increasingly hard to reach a 1200 goal.

So share your tips. How do you manage to reach your goal? Obviously if your aim is anything but weight loss then it's going to be different for you as the foods that are good for you may not be for others.

There are no good foods and bad foods, just inappropriate portion sizes. You could eat all the same foods you ate before, but reduce the quantities to bring down the amount of calories consumed if necessary.

My daily goal based on MFP's suggestion is 1810, and I'm usually near there. If I go over I try to do a bit of extra exercise to get back in to a deficit for the day.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

It does depend a lot on stats, but often people choose a weekly weight loss goal that is too aggressive for the amount of weight they have to lose. 2 lbs/week generally is too aggressive when you have <50 lbs to lose. Also, some don't go by stats, they just choose 1200 calories because they've heard that number & think it applies to everyone. Even at 5'9" & 240 lbs, I set my goal at 1.5 lbs/week and would have been miserable on any less calories than that. After I lost 30 lbs or so, I changed to 1 lb/week to keep my calories at a reasonable level. The goal should be to eat the most that you can and still lose weight, not the least.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I have no problem eating all the calories that I'm allowed in a day! No problem at all, and I usually want more. But then, I have a sweet tooth! :D
    Love your avatar.

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    The "good food/bad food" thing is almost always the problem here, imo.

People cut out "junk" and then struggle to meet their calorie goal eating only "good food". So eat a bit of "junk"! It's not junk anyway, it's not bad, it's just calorie dense - so if calories are what you need, it's perfect.

People wail about "oh, but that chocolate bar has no nutrition!". Yes it does. It has energy. If you're under goal, energy is what you need. Eat the chocolate bar already!
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have no trouble reaching that number- one meal at a restaurant with a drink or two..? Maybe if you eat rice cakes all day but how fun is that?!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12 I am not sure if The Biggest Loser is more of a cause or a symptom. Possibly both.

I agree with your point about "self-punishment or machismo". There's a strand of weight loss/health thinking that really has more to do with religious instinct than with actually losing fat or improving body function - themes about cleansing, repentance, ritual purity, atoning for sins.

It was Ben Goldacre that first made me notice this with his comments on detox in "Bad Science" - detox really is old-fashioned ritual cleansing with a thin veil of science draped over it. Since then I see it everywhere. There's so much talk, even on these forums, of guilt, feeling bad, "making up" for overeating, "eating clean", "bad foods" and so on, and I absolutely see the drive to eat as few calories as possible being connected with guilt and self-punishment. Sometimes it feels like a medieval monastery.

I'm not saying spirituality is not crucial, or that food, exercise and health do not have spiritual elements, but that guilt-punishment thing is not at all healthy or constructive to weight loss imo.