NSV...PCOS and all...

Options
2»

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!

I've had 2 babies and did a bunch of research. Remember that about 18 pounds of what you gain is baby weight - the weight of the baby plus fluids that will come off within about 6 weeks after pregnancy, usually. 6 weeks is the magic number because it takes about that long for the uterous to return to normal. A great snack food to carry around is raisins. First, they're a great source of iron. Plus, you can get them in serving size boxes that are easy to carry in your purse. You may find yourself getting hungry at odd times, and for me, a box of raisins kept me from just grabbing junk on many occasions.

Exercise is great during pregnancy. Yoga is the best - even if you haven't done it before, if you start now, it'll make everything much easier. Just remember that as your belly grows, your body will be putting out hormones to ease your joints so your hips can make room for the baby and delivery. That means your balance might start being off, so try not to do too much exercising that requires a lot of balance. But, the most important advice is to let your doctor know what you're planning to do. Have a wonderful pregnancy!
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Many congrats!!! That's the best NSV I've ever read.

Regarding the exercise, talk to your doctor. From what I understand from friends' pregnancies, it's more dangerous to undereat than overeat while pregnant (obviously not 100+ lbs!). You can always lose the baby weight-- you've shown that MFP works for you already. The most important thing is to get enough nutrients for you and your baby.

I read a blog called Fitnessista.com. The writer is a personal trainer with some nutrition training, and she is pregnant. There are a bunch of posts about pregnancy health that you might find interesting. I hope this helps!

Again, congrats!!! :D
  • YellowStrawberry
    YellowStrawberry Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! :) We have been TTC #2 for 3 years now. I am almost to my prepregnancy weight, and my child is 4.5!!! I hope this will help me get the same NSV! :D

FWIW, my sister did not gain any weight and swears she was the same weight that she became pregnant and had the baby! It can happen!

Here is to a happy and healthy 9 months ( or less... depending where you are at) :D
  • Choirgirl37
    Choirgirl37 Posts: 255
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! You must be really happy. :-) I have PCOS too. I know how difficult it is to deal with so ---keep up the excellent way in which you are managing it. You're an inspiration.
  • mikesnwgirl
    mikesnwgirl Posts: 112
    Options
    I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!! I to have PCOS and I have no children of my own and at 32 I have finally decided to take control. So you give me inspiration that once I drop this weight I might actually be able to have a baby!!
    Women exercise all the time when they are preggo so I'm sure you will do great. For sure talk to your DR about what you can and can't do. Thanks for sharing your exciting news and giving me hope! :happy:
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS, don't have any pointers on the pregnancy part. Just wanted to say congrats, and I hope to feel your joy someday :)
  • KaylaBlu2019
    KaylaBlu2019 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Wow this NSV made me tear up! Congratulations! I also have PCOS and would love to have children some day..I'm hoping that once I get into shape that it will be a possibility!

SO Happy for you!!
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    The best NSV I have ever read. Congrats!! My diagnosis of PCOS is pending but stories like yours give me hope!
  • zudleymarie
    zudleymarie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! As far as staying healthy during pregnancy, I wouldn't know. I have PCOS too, but I ballooned up a lot during and after my pregnancy. Good luck!
  • skyls
    skyls Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congrats! I know exactly how you feel. I would recommend NOT doing what I did lol. I TTC for 3 years before getting pregnant with my son. It took diet and losing all my excess weight to get there. I got down to 110 and immediately got pregnant, and then gained 90 lbs during my pregnancy. I did eat crappy food along with healthy stuff, but I think having PCOS made it very easy to pack on the lbs. I think I also had uncaught gestational diabetes, as I had it with my 2nd pregnancy.

I lost almost all of the 90 lbs again, and then got pregnant again 3 years later with my daughter. During that pregnancy I gained around 60 lbs, which is still a lot. I got gestational diabetes that was not even controllable with a good diet, and had to take insulin shots... it sucked!

Anyway, just eat good, ask your dr if they can recommend a caloric amount and exercise lightly like walking, or what your dr. approves.

Goodluck! and happy and healthy 9 :D
  • Pat11d
    Pat11d Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    During my pregnancy I lost 12 lbs up till the 6 months when holidays hit and everyone was ragging on me to eat and eat. So they day I had my LO I was 187 lbs and when I checked out of the hospital I was down to 172. My LO was 7 lbs 8 oz. You will sweat and sweat the first week after having the baby since your body is shedding the extra body weight from the increased blood volume.
    Remember you don't have to eat for two. A fetus's calorie intake is not 2000 calories like an adult so when people harass you to eat seconds and snacks all the time when you don't feel hungry don't listen.
    As for exercise you can do anything you currently do till it gets too uncomfortable or your doc says otherwise.
    As others have said swimming is great.
    You'll do fine. Enjoy the new life growing!
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    So last year this time I was diagnosed with PCOS. My doctor told me it will be very difficult for me to get pregnant. Not just with me but my boyfriend has hypertension so the combo made it even more difficult. I was also 25lbs overweight at the time and I stopped having menstrual cycles.

Since December 2010 I started on MFP and I lost 25lbs and for the first in the last 18 months, I was regular since January.

My NSV? I'm pregnant! Oh my god I'm still in a state of shock. I took 3 tests and all came out positive. I even took one of those digital thingie that tells me how far along I am and it says at least 5 weeks.

If I didn't find MFP and started working out and losing the weight, I would still be 'missing' my period...this is the best NSV ever...

Now here's a slight 'mental dilemma' I'm facing...after the initial joy...I started panicking about gaining weight. I know I will gain weight but I'm worried about gaining too much weight. I don't want to gain weight on my face/arms/butt/legs...is it possible to just gain weight in the chest and tummy area? Can I still work out ie. spin, run, strength train?

Anyway, I'm not going to starve myself and pull a Victoria Beckam or anything but I also don't want to gain like 50lbs cuz at 5'2, I think my knees will collapse with that much weight on it...not to mention my sciatica...

So calling all 'experienced' mamas, any tips on exercising/weight control during pregnancy?

Thanks in advance!

Tiffany

Honey.... the fact that you're pregnant with PCOS should just be your main focus, if you put on weight SO WHAT!!! You're going to have a baby, that's a miracle in itself. You'll shift the weight afterwards, you just need to stay healthy for your little one. I am sooooo jealous of you right now. I to have PCOS and I don't think i'll ever conceive. Best of luck with your pregnancy and don't worry about the extra pounds you'll gain. It'll be so worth it x
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Many congrats!!! That's the best NSV I've ever read.

Regarding the exercise, talk to your doctor. From what I understand from friends' pregnancies, it's more dangerous to undereat than overeat while pregnant (obviously not 100+ lbs!). You can always lose the baby weight-- you've shown that MFP works for you already. The most important thing is to get enough nutrients for you and your baby.

I read a blog called Fitnessista.com. The writer is a personal trainer with some nutrition training, and she is pregnant. There are a bunch of posts about pregnancy health that you might find interesting. I hope this helps!

Again, congrats!!! :D

Thank you for the blog recommendation! i will definitely check it out. I've been exercising consistently since December so it would be a shame to have to stop! Thank you so much again!
  • petithamu
    Options
    I just had the same NSV a couple of days ago!!! I completely understand what you are going through worrying about weight gain and being so shocked. I was unable to get pregnant for years and suddenly, I'm 5 weeks along! I have changed my settings from losing 2 lbs a week to losing 1/2 lbs a week. I still go on my walks tough, just no more gym for me (after conferring with my doctor we concluded that this was best for me since I have a history of miscarriage). Congrats on the NSV!!!!!

Congratulations!!!! I think I'm about 5 weeks as well, not sure yet, waiting for a midwife to contact me and make an appointment. I stopped running completely because until the doc or the midwife tell me it's okay to run, I think I should hold off...anyway, congrats to us, it is such an amazing but scary feeling!
  • petithamu
    Options
    So last year this time I was diagnosed with PCOS. My doctor told me it will be very difficult for me to get pregnant. Not just with me but my boyfriend has hypertension so the combo made it even more difficult. I was also 25lbs overweight at the time and I stopped having menstrual cycles.

Since December 2010 I started on MFP and I lost 25lbs and for the first in the last 18 months, I was regular since January.

My NSV? I'm pregnant! Oh my god I'm still in a state of shock. I took 3 tests and all came out positive. I even took one of those digital thingie that tells me how far along I am and it says at least 5 weeks.

If I didn't find MFP and started working out and losing the weight, I would still be 'missing' my period...this is the best NSV ever...

Now here's a slight 'mental dilemma' I'm facing...after the initial joy...I started panicking about gaining weight. I know I will gain weight but I'm worried about gaining too much weight. I don't want to gain weight on my face/arms/butt/legs...is it possible to just gain weight in the chest and tummy area? Can I still work out ie. spin, run, strength train?

Anyway, I'm not going to starve myself and pull a Victoria Beckam or anything but I also don't want to gain like 50lbs cuz at 5'2, I think my knees will collapse with that much weight on it...not to mention my sciatica...

So calling all 'experienced' mamas, any tips on exercising/weight control during pregnancy?

Thanks in advance!

Tiffany

Honey.... the fact that you're pregnant with PCOS should just be your main focus, if you put on weight SO WHAT!!! You're going to have a baby, that's a miracle in itself. You'll shift the weight afterwards, you just need to stay healthy for your little one. I am sooooo jealous of you right now. I to have PCOS and I don't think i'll ever conceive. Best of luck with your pregnancy and don't worry about the extra pounds you'll gain. It'll be so worth it x

I know I shouldn't worry so much about putting on weight but it is a fear and I'm trying to conquer it. Don't be jealous, trust me, last year around this time, I can't tell you how many times I cried cuz the words of my doc just lingered around in my head...'you can't have children...you need to find alternative methods...etc'. I honestly cannot believe I am pregnant now but it can happen!
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance!

Tiffany

I know I shouldn't worry so much about putting on weight but it is a fear and I'm trying to conquer it. Don't be jealous, trust me, last year around this time, I can't tell you how many times I cried cuz the words of my doc just lingered around in my head...'you can't have children...you need to find alternative methods...etc'. I honestly cannot believe I am pregnant now but it can happen!

I truly hope so... it's something that's played on my mind since I was diagnosed at the age of 17. I am 27 this year (next month actually - yikes!), I got married in 2009 and I have now reached that point in my life where a child is definitely next on the agenda. My husband is now showing signs of broodiness! But i'm physically scared about not succeeding. I'm trying to do as much as I can now to make it easier for me in the long run.
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS! Discovering you are expecting is the most exciting and terrifying news! :happy:

I agree with everyone else:
    ~ "Eating for two" does not REALLY mean "for two". You only need a few hundred more calories a day. So like others have said, talk to your doctor, but I bet you could set your MFP settings to "maintenance" and that will allow the 500 calories a day for the baby.
    ~ Eat "clean" food: If God/Nature made it you can eat it. If it comes from the earth or off a tree, eat it. I don't know about you, but there isn't a Cheeto's tree in my yard! (props to Jillian Michaels for that quip.)
    ~ and WALK WALK WALK.

CONGRATS again!

~*~*~*~ Sticky baby dust ~*~*~*~
  • petithamu
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS! Discovering you are expecting is the most exciting and terrifying news! :happy:

I agree with everyone else:
    ~ "Eating for two" does not REALLY mean "for two". You only need a few hundred more calories a day. So like others have said, talk to your doctor, but I bet you could set your MFP settings to "maintenance" and that will allow the 500 calories a day for the baby.
    ~ Eat "clean" food: If God/Nature made it you can eat it. If it comes from the earth or off a tree, eat it. I don't know about you, but there isn't a Cheeto's tree in my yard! (props to Jillian Michaels for that quip.)
    ~ and WALK WALK WALK.

CONGRATS again!

~*~*~*~ Sticky baby dust ~*~*~*~

HAHAHAH I like that, Cheeto's tree! My god can you imgaine....um...okay now I'm imaging it...cheetos...I don't think I can get cheetos here in London...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!